Shaman and actual ogre stun immunity

Discussion in 'Priests' started by bondbp, Dec 7, 2015.

1. bondbp New Member

Hey all. I haven't seriously played EQ since 99 - 02 , and was a paladin. I want to seriously come back for the new TLP (I tried Ragefire but there amount of Mage armies and legal training was ) and was wondering on the usefulness of the ogre immunity throughout the expansions. Was it required to solo in higher levels or can mass slowing basically keep any shaman race from being bash interrupted.

What about if I duo with a tank or a pet class, would regen instead be more beneficial overall since I wouldn't be in melee as much? Just some questions , I know there is opinions out there on p99 but that sever is capped at veliois and I'm interested not just in classic era but beyond.
  2. Brohg Augur

There is no race advantage that holds a candle to melee stun immunity. Warriors get AA to obsolete it much later on than in the TLP world, so someone with an unreasonably long view might pooh-pooh if they're on that class; but for SK, Shm, Bst it's basically shooting yourself in the foot game mechanics wise to choose another race.
  3. Slambit Journeyman

does illusion mess with stun immunity like it does slam?
  4. bondbp New Member

Alright cool thanks for the response. I figured the regen clas mechanic is easily caught up to when it comes to regen spells and regen equipment and AAs. I was torn between iksar and ogre, I like the look of both (old models, maybe because that's my nostalgia kicking in) so I was interested in the unique clas mechanics. Guess I'll have an iksar necro to get my iksar kick.
  5. Brohg Augur

Iks make good monks, too. Monks luuuurve them some bonus ACs
  6. code-zero Augur

It's more accurate to call it "Frontal Bash Immunity" and if you want to know exactly how important it is go to Magelo.com and see what races the number one rated characters are.

Here's the #1 rated Beastlord

Here's the #1 rated Shadownight

Here's the #1 rated Shaman

Oh sure there's some Ogre's in the top 10 of all those classes but it's pretty obvious that frontal bash immunity is only important to people who absolutely positively can't stand those few seconds of stunnage that only occur when tanking a warrior mob
  7. bondbp New Member

I won't say I'll ever be elite player. To much stuff around the house for me to pay attention for long periods of time , including a puppy lol. It helps I like the ogre race lore wise and their looks.. Big ole ugly sobs. Though iksar a have excellent lore too. I'll probably go ogre because Kunark won't be released for 3 months on the new tlp ... Might make a sk , monk, and necro then.
  8. Brohg Augur

The beastlord is actually a druid, and at least two of those three players have been in the game for 15+ years, their characters were made before they could have known what they were missing out on. Further, they're #1 ranked because they've looted a lot of in raids. That's it. We're not talking "top paid lawyer/chef/whatever in the English speaking world" or something. Just someone good enough, and around long enough, to get good stuff. Further, even if one were to grant their overweening expertise, have you actually asked them if they think their characters' races are objectively correct? Or if they're just going with it since they've gotten this far.
  9. Klak Augur

EB is a very good player but yea race does not matter in this game.
  10. Friday Augur

Seen the regen vs stun immunity debate done to death. My original main was shaman, and I always have one in the stable, and I always go regen.

My reasoning is that, while stun immunity will come in handy in some very specific circumstances as when a fight is coming down to the wire vs. a very powerful and hard hitting mob and it is IMPERATIVE to get him slowed,

Regen. translates directly to mana. More mana = more options, more mana is ALWAYS useful, always in play, and more mana increases survivability. Have too much or more than you need? Nuke or refresh buffs. The shaman tool box is deep enough that there is usually always something one can do with surplus mana.

The best arguments for stun immunity come from shamans who are heavily into raiding, where the consequences of not getting a boss mob are dire (raid wipe). Alternatively, some shamans who are very heavy into soloing and constantly tank their own mobs also might favor stun immunity.

For the typical group shaman who sometimes raids and solos but plays most of the game in groups, more mana from regen. would seem the better choice. Just my 2 cents. My wife likes barbarian shaman for their looks, and also they have some nice race specific gear these days, so play what thou shalt.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Brohg Augur

Fine, just mana. Not even going to talk about the completely healing Intervention or punt-root that can stop all the incoming damage that the shaman is taking, that they could cast if they're not interrupted by a bash. Just the mana. Heck, just part of the mana: Cannibalization takes away 70000 hp every 2 minutes (20 ticks). In that 20 ticks before you want to hit Canni again, racial regen gets you back less than 100 of those 70000 hp.
    Skewert likes this.
  12. code-zero Augur

I have to admit to a certain prejudice as way back when the game was young and I was grouped with the very first Ogre Shaman I'd ever met he would not shut up about his stun immunity. Never mind that he wasn't even tanking and his large body caused a considerable impedance to everyone else ability to move.

Fast forward to TBS and once more I'm pulling for a group and the monologue could have been from the summer of 2000 with the added benefit that the idiot kept buffing me on incoming for not reason that I could fathom at that time and drawing aggro from the shissars....the explanation for that came a few weeks later when he got a perma ban for using naughty add ons

The bottom line is this, if getting a frontal melee stun really bothers you that much then knock yourself out and go ogre. But really, no one cares. AFAIK no major guild has ever put a racial requirement of Ogre on any class that they were recruiting and probably never will and that's about all you need to know about that
    Friday likes this.
  13. Brohg Augur

That's really your bar for performance? As long as the lack won't keep you from tricking folks into a guild invite it's cool!
  14. Friday Augur

Did you not read to the end, where I said "play what thou shalt"? Looks like you're just spoiling for an argument here. I am so glad you are an Ogre supremacist and wish you all the best!

A recap of my viewpoint:

Stun immunity has the potential to permit you an additional cast or two in those rare instances when you would get pounded without it, potentially turning a losing fight into a win.

Regen is always going, can translate directly into mana, and will total thousands and thousands, or perhaps even millions of hit points over the lifetime of the toon.

As far as your assertion that getting a non-ogre shaman into a guild is "tricking folks into a guild invite"- that's just absurd. My guild has perhaps one ogre shaman, three barbarians, and two trolls. All are valued. The hypothetical scenario where the ogre saves the day because he can't be stunned? Hasn't happened yet, but we will keep watching...
  15. Iila Augur

Except that you're making a mistake if you can be an Iksar, but aren't.
  16. Makavien Augur

Ogre stun immunity is melee only so it only matters if you plan on tanking a lot . And stun can happen from any melee class that can equip a shield or kick. If a shadowknight you do get a real benefit from the frontal stun immunity since their aa doesn't go up as high as warrior. As often as stun happens from melee I would guess it is a bit better than the iskar ac especially considering how many life taps and other spells could be interrupted by the melee stuns.
  17. Ravengloome Augur

SK Steadfast will gives full melee stun immunity at max
  18. Makavien Augur

Hmm the last time I looked at it , it did not?
  19. Ghubuk Augur

I didn't think it did either.
  20. Riou EQResource

Iila likes this.