Another quick question: Waking the Sleeper

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PathToEternity, Dec 3, 2015.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Can we please get this setup so that waking the Sleeper is an instance that can be requested, even after this has been accomplished open world? I'd even settle for making this a once-per-account type raid, if it's important to someone high up at Daybreak to make sure people aren't waking the Sleeper every 6.5 days. But I think at this point, after all the work put into this server and Daybreak seeming to really be on top of what their aging playerbase is looking for in EQ, it's really fair to make sure players get their chance at doing this.

I also understand that today, this week, this month, this may not really be a big priority to the dev team. And that's OK! We have almost 6 months before this is really important - if you're on the fence about this, Daybreak, by all means take the time you need to do this right.
    Dandy likes this.
  2. Machen New Member

Wouldn't this also allow permanent farming of Mask of Tinkers etc? The pre-sleepers items are pretty much unique in Everquest due to their extreme rarity. I think it would be cool for more people to get to see the Sleeper script (I've never seen it myself) but I'd personally also hate to see those ultra rare status symbol items become ultra common.
  3. taliefer Augur

the main point of instanced content is to allow everyone a chance to experience it. cant think of a better example of that then awakening the sleeper. hopefully the instanced version is that one
    Dandy likes this.
  4. derpinscotch Elder

Why don't you go ahead and make him killable while you're at it? That one server actually killed him legit and we want to experience that as well. We're paying customers! Give us what we want! Le sigh at this population base... making a mockery of this game with these types of demands.
  5. Vindicator Journeyman

How is asking to see content that they pay money for making a mockery of the game?
  6. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I'm not really asking about this because I care about who pays money for this or that or what mockeries are being made.

I'm saying that all of this once-per-server stuff was really amazing back in the day when there were two dozen servers and it was a big deal among the entire EQ community as server by server these accomplishments were made. Since then, for nostalgia, 6 other TLP servers have launched to let people relive in-era content on progression rails (plus other servers which have occasionally launched). All of this has been well and good. I personally saw my own share of server firsts on Fippy and Ragefire.

I just think, hey, we're doing this - we're finally instancing content, let's not get too caught up in some of these age old dead horse arguments. And if Daybreak says, no, we won't be instancing the Sleeper event. Eh, that's fine, it's not really a big deal. I'm just wondering what decision they've arrived at internally.
  7. derpinscotch Elder

Your answer is in your own question. Once-per-server. Instancing once per server content takes away from the event. Sure, instance the warders or whatever, but the actual release of Kerafyrm? No.
  8. derpinscotch Elder

Next thing people will ask for the Firiona open world events to be instanced.

Hey, I remember the best of the best events. Can you instance those for me?

How about the Al Kabor nexus gate artifact? I didn't get that once per server item! Please instance.

You see how ridiculous your question is now?
  9. Tachyon Augur

I think it would be a good idea to have a Sleeper instance. It would let people who never have experience it and the loot thing really isn't a game changer at this point in the game.
  10. Batbener Augur

You do understand the whole point of the progression servers is to allow people to do things they didn't do the first time around, specifically see high end content they missed for whatever reason. Now, they have added instances so people can see content that they would otherwise be denied for a myriad of reasons. Based on the logic of having a progression server, and then having a progression server that has instances, the ONLY logical conclusion would be to instance the waking of the sleeper. Unless there is some computer stuff I don't know about that makes it impossible. Computers frighten me :eek:.
  11. Silentchaos Augur

On a server that doesn't need to wake the sleeper to progress, let's not wake the sleeper until we're able to kill it IMO serverwide effort.
    Batbener likes this.
  12. Curate New Member

I wouldn't mind if they instanced sleepers tomb/wake up event

But they should lock the server of transfers off, if they're going to start letting previously 'stupid rare' legacy items become farmed in instances.
  13. derpinscotch Elder

SMH at the vocal community on these boards, warping the idea of these servers. Day after day it gets PROGRESSIVELY worse at what you guys will demand and think you're owed.
    Sway-SA and Kopuz like this.
  14. Kopuz Journeyman

Welcome to liberal America. The world is mine and it owes me a living!
  15. Machen New Member

It would be virtually impossible to prevent it in this day and age. When it's so easy to pull the trigger, someone is going to do it, if for no other reason than to piss the rest of the server off.
    Silv likes this.
  16. Silentchaos Augur

Yeah I can imagine someone with a scorched earth mentality doing it. Wouldn't bother me but it would bother others. At least we can agree to not wake it when only top tier raid guilds are capable of as much for maximum warder farming. Or maybe when we do decide it's time to wake the sleeper make it a serverwide event among endgame players allow anyone to come in whose keyed roll on loot etc.
  17. Silv Augur

This is EXACTLY what is going to happen and the drama threads on this forum will be *glorious*.
    Iila and Pirlo like this.
  18. Sway-SA New Member

Depending on the point of view. DGC, for instance, doesn't see the point you claim. This server is host to many "wants" that people have expressed concern about. Instancing? check. No Bot? check. From a company viewpoint, they will make a killing on this server. The "whole" point u suggest is keeping paying customers interested in a 16 year old game, not to guarantee you content you missed.
  19. Batbener Augur

I didn't ask for the instanced content, the OP did. I was just explaining why a lot of people play progression servers, and instancing all content is the logical conclusion for that player base. I have also suggested that only some raid stuff should be instanced, so I somewhat agree with you. I can tell with 100% certainty that if the OP is more than capable of being with the group that wakes the sleeper, and I might even wager that he has done it once or twice. So I don't think it's a case of us "ruining the integrity of the game" or anything like that.

What we are owed it what we pay for. What we are willing to pay for is 100% up to us. What we do when we make posts, either suggesting things for us or our fellow player(like the OP), is telling the company that runs the game what we are willing to pay for. They can decide what, if any, changes they are willing to make to up the customer base and make more money. What they are finding is people with good jobs and families, A, have money, and B can't play the game 20 hours a day like the true classic experience. Therefore, they are catering more to those customers.
  20. EQ1999 Elder

It's pretty amazing, ask Dima. Oh wait.