Crash Problem

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by daknife56, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Seraphim Augur

Yup, even with the new patch I'm still crashing. Good job guys!
  2. zhakran New Member

Yes, I can report ever since the patch I have been having this issue, and none of my efforts at fixing it have done anything to make it better. I'd also say about half or maybe 1/3 of my guild is suffering the same thing. This should really be tested better, because it's very consistent and it's very widespread. This needs to be addressed as I believe it's affecting all servers. I play on TLP and am suffering the same as Live.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Just adding another voice to all the others. Client is crashing about 1 in every 3 zones regardless of where I'm going or coming from. This is on Ragefire so all old world/Kunark zones.

I've been filling out the crash report info every single time, maybe that will help get this some attention?
  4. Riou EQResource

Known issue, they are planning to push a fix out this upcoming week if it works on test and beta over the weekend
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Same thing has been happening to me on the Ragefire TLP Server, zoning on any character between any zones has a chance to crash the client, I have been getting the "crash dialogue" box pop up each and every time and have been entering what I was doing each time, so far it was always from zoning that the crash happened. I had zero crashing prior to the most recent patch.
  6. Birk New Member

i am only crashing on my laptop, i am using a gforce card, my desktop dont ever crash, and i use a radeon card there, people i have been talking to who crash on zoning all use gforce.. can other confirm this?
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Intel HD 3000 here.
  8. Eliytres New Member

also crashing every 3rd to 4th zone in. I've deleted everything from the "uifiles" folder and run a full scan, but that did nothing. turning of loading screen art has helped people in the past, but it doesn't appear to abate this problem.

I am using a geforce card
  9. Mediik Augur

just to report. I'm crashing about every 4th time I zone. like clockwork.
  10. Mluian Journeyman

Crashing every 3rd or 4th zone. My account my PC and my wifes account her PC.
  11. Seraphim Augur

Someone posted saying it isn't graphic related but sound related.
  12. Shakeef New Member

Seems this problem is affecting alot of people myself included. I installed a fresh copy of windows and downloaded all updates along with fresh EQ download from DBG site. I am still crashing even when using a single character and kept zoneing from Freeport to CL until i got the crash msg.

I am sure the team is working something out on why this is happening but i hope the results will come out and get this problem fixed asap because it is annoying to keep crashing and log back on, very time consuming.

Hope to see a fix soon.
  13. rune00 Augur

I had some time this morning to attach a debugger and follow the crash.
    After some investigation I have come to the conclusion that the buffer here:
    Code:
    .data:00F4C990 Data            db 460h dup(?)
    .data:00F4CDF0 pinstEQSoundManager_x
    gets overflown by the function that writes to it (only one function writes to this buffer)... thus overwriting the soundmanager which is located right below the buffer,,, and that's why the crash occur in EqSoundManager::ReleaseZoneSpecificWaves which is located at:
    Code:
    .text:004D3D60                cmp    byte ptr [ecx+2Ch], 0
    because ecx which should contain the sound manager class pointer now contains garbage from the Data buffer instead.

The solution is probably to just memset(&Data,0,0x460); at the beginning of function at 4D06D0 cause it looks like strcat just keeps adding to it... (here for example: .text:004D0756 call esi ; lstrcatA)
    Motherlee likes this.
  14. matou New Member

I was sure to crash every 4 th or so zoning ,( never crashed before that 21 oct patch ) . I logged earlier and didn't crash ( 10 + zoning ), so they might fixed it on live servers ( rathe here )...
  15. reggatta New Member

Same issue here since last patch.
  16. Kyoya Geohound New Member

I guess someone forgot to tell the server department about the new tech kittens. (mourns the loss of the server hamsters) ;p
    I got my log in to work after I used Steam to verify the integrity of the game cache.
    Motherlee likes this.
  17. Zigie Journeyman

1. Go to the Logs folder and open dbg.txt in Notepad.
    2. Press Ctrl-F and enter "msg_zone_address" in the search box.
    3. Press Enter to search repeatedly until it cannot find any more instances of that text, i.e. you have found the last one.
    4. Copy/paste the next 10 lines or so here.

Example: this is me zoning into PoHealth on Povar:
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00645:Zone Connect -- 0 -- Received MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00646:Zone addr [eqzone-16.everquest.com:1935] received...
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00647:ZONING
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00648:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00649:Networking: using port [59576].
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00650:Networking: Connection Established [1]
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00651:Connected to eqzone-16.everquest.com:1935...

[Wed Dec 02 12:14:41 2015]00652:Zone Connect -- 2 -- Sending MSG_EQ_ADDPLAYER
    [Wed Dec 02 12:14:42 2015]00653:Zone Connect -- 3 -- Received MSG_SEND_PC

See what your's says, it is says closed connection or doesnt have the 2 or 3 ZONE CONNECTs, then that is what is getting blocked.