Old player from 1999

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aryel, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Aryel New Member

I used to play Everquest like a demon for many hours and I finally moved on in 2002 . I have since come back a few times but never getting past level ten.

I was reading about these servers and they peaked my interest but I am unsure what to do and what to roll. I was thinking of a cleric or enchanter since when I played they were in such huge demand.

I suppose groups might be hard to come by since you all must be at level cap. I am interested in playing but worried I might have to solo which would be excruciatingly slow on a cleric. Manageable on an enchanter I suppose but nevertheless was wondering if anyone could tell me how the low and mid level grouping is like and which server Lokcjaw or Ragefire I should choose. I am in no hurry to rush to level cap if that will help you answer.
  2. AB-Muvien Elder

I don't think it matters much which server you chose honestly. I play on Ragefire myself but as you stated most of us are probaly at lvl cap, I do however see many lowerlvls in pretty much any zone i travel through so I think the odds are pretty good.

I suggest joining general chat and locations chats like kunark, odus, faydwer etc. Often people looking for groups or members there.

Lastly ...You get alot further if you iniate the group. The people are out there but it seems alot of them just put on /lfg and wait. Be abit proactive and put together groups and make some friends and I bet you'll have a blast on Ragefire or Lockjaw :) Ofcourse it helps if you chose a core class like cleric, tank, puller etc.

If you roll a cleric, then all you need is a tank lfg to start out slowly. Add a DPS class and you start getting somewhere.
  3. Aryel New Member

Thank you so I will roll a cleric I guess on Lockjaw since it is still in the classic stage.
  4. Numiko Augur

Player power vs enviroment has greatly increased since 1999-2002 and all classes can now solo to max level, just some will do it much quicker then others.

If you want to be desirable in a group and not solo very often then definitely go for a healer or a Tank class. Enchanter is good too, will say of the 4 characters I box my enchanter was the only one who would get random tells asking if I wanted to join a group.

As for everyone being max level, many are leveling alts up now.. i often hear people on general looking for more players to join groups of all levels in many zones.
  5. Aryel New Member

That is good insight numiko. Hmm enchanter well to be honest I want to play an enchanter. I do think though that no matter how group friendly your character is there will be times you might need to solo so I am happy to read all characters can solo . Even the cleric which is heartening.
  6. Batbener Augur

An enchanter with a pet is a broken class. In a future expansion, they added this guy named Old Man Mckenzie, and he gives you a mission. You become a level 50 and have to kill all the named in Solb, live side guk or dead guk. You must have 3 characters to get the mission, and you can pick whichever class you want. Most people get the mission, and sit two of the characters and just run an enchanter through the zone. It's actually shocking how few people play an enchanter.
  7. Risiko Augur

I see new players every other day on Ragefire. The server is still very active through out all level ranges.
  8. Crystilla Augur

My char on Ragefire is still in the late 30's and I see folks all the time there.
  9. Aryel New Member

I need some facts to make my decision since I will probably play only one character. What is the time between expansion in Ragefire and Lockjaw ?

I wish to take my time and play like I did in 1999 which means slowly. I am not really interested in end game raiding but will do it when i get there but that is not my goal. My goal is to group and get some of that old feeling back.

I am also on Stormhold EQ2 so that is the reason I have only time for one character.
  10. Zephyroth Elder

You really should wait a 6 to 8 weeks, for the next TLP server. Everybody will start at 1, everyone or so will be focusing on 1 main, lots of new player re-learning the game, but that's what i think, others have their opinions
  11. Hendar2 Augur

Let's remember that DBG's plans might hit a snag. I'm sure they would rather launch a functioning server a little late than a broken server. While I hope that things go well, I really think it is important to realize that there is no guarantee of 6-8 weeks.
    Zephyroth likes this.
  12. Zephyroth Elder

13. Aryel New Member

So the new server will have no multiboxing is that it ? That is very good. But I want to play now I cannot wait. I read a few of the threads here and I cannot make up my mind on Ragefire of Lockjaw. Tell me honestly if you started today which server would you pick ?
  14. Zephyroth Elder

Pretty easy to decide... You want to start from classic era? ( LockJaw ) You prefer to start in kunark? ( Ragefire )
  15. Aryel New Member

I was playing my cleric in Toxxulia and a bard came and gave me leg armour. Then she came back again looking for me and gave me a full set of banded. I was so floored by her generosity that she took the time to craft it and come back and look for me.

I was not expecting anything like that and it completely won me over to Lockjaw.

I am aware of the drama and stuff after reading some of the threads but sincerely I just want to relive some of the nostalgia and even if I never get to see any of the end raids it is fine with me if I can just play in some groups and enjoy the journey to 50. I may be poor and not be able to afford anything much but if I can still get some groups and enjoy the content I will be happy. I don't have to have the best gear and I hope others will still want to group with me in spite of that. Looking at the prices people are asking it is daunting.

I had forgotten how hard this game is if you're not careful about your regeneration of HP and mana and had to run to the guards to save my hide quite a lot plus making a rookie mistake of not buying my spells and meleeing my way to level 2 before I discovered my lapse. I also was stuck in Erudin trying to find my out of the city to the forest. I could have kicked myself when finally from some forgotten recess I recalled the telepads.

I think I am going to like it here.
  16. Numiko Augur

Generally I have found over the years EQ players are more mature and kind hearted then you find in most on-line communities. You are always going to have a few bad apples and drama queens but they are easy to avoid really.

On your comment on the new server, there will still be multi boxing but only in the more traditional sense in that you will need to use multiple computers. I'm sure you will still see people boxing up to a full group, but you will not see people boxing entire raid sized armies on the new server.
  17. Cadena New Member

Found my way back after I quit playing around 2004/05. Took me forever to get my account back since I couldn't remember any of it! Seems some characters are missing but glad to have my main back.