The List: Five Deep Cuts for Hardcore MMO Players

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Janakin, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Janakin Augur

Guess who is #1? :)
    code-zero, Axxius, Rcalielie and 6 others like this.
  2. Motherlee Augur

I wonder if that will bring any new people in.
  3. Danille Augur

Somebody needs to rearrange their UI. He plays while looking through a tube! o_O
    Axxius and Mayfaire like this.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

Not with the UI set up like that, that's a horrible representation.
    Silv and Perplexed like this.
  5. Vlerg Augur

and I tougth my UI was messy...
  6. Motherlee Augur

All of them were cluttered.
  7. Schadenfreude Augur

Because he clearly plays on Zek.
  8. Battleaxe Augur

None were 1st person PoV (although, thank goodness, #1 can be).
    Space game - I want to sit in the cockpit and see through the captain's eyes.

D&D-like - I want to inhabit the character not stand behind it and operate it like it's a puppet on strings. DooM>Ultima. Ultima looks like a Nintendo game. I played a game that looked like that 30 years ago.
  9. Momentum Elder

Pretty sure he just pulled that video from somewhere else, I've definitely seen it in the past. Maybe it's the same guy though.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

EQ is not for the faint of heart ..

Being the most hardcore of the hardest core MMO's .. will not bring many if any new players haha

Especially, since we have a fan base right now that the majority of which = crying about this or that as it stands right now ..
  11. Usullx Lorekeeper

Yup its been around for a while:
  12. Sashagray Journeyman

"The List" video from the OP of this thread is not the same person in the EQ pvp video... Whether or not that person who listed EQ pvp as #1 or not played or plays on Zek I can't say for sure. I have never heard his voice in any of the Ventrillo/Vox/team speaks/discords that I have ever been in.

Was guilded with Teeks for all of his time on Zek and that is not his voice.. Just passing that info along

His UI is ridiculous... But he still held his own against usually better geared players...

Also, for anyone that has never tried EQ pvp it's easy to marginalize it and say all the things that non pvp players say. If you have never actually felt the rush of pvp at max level then you wouldn't know that there is no raid and or pve situation that can duplicate that feeling... Does it have its negatives sure, but so do all aspects of this game.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

They do alter abilities on PVP servers, Blue servers do not get as much damage per cast as on Red servers.
  14. Sashagray Journeyman

All well played, well put together toons can pvp with the exception being a cleric... Clerics are hard to kill and a nightmare in group pvp but they just realistically can't get kills... Most classes have a couple classes they do really well against and a couple they struggle with and a few somewhere in the middle...

Example: Even a t@rd, group geared under leveled enchanter would crush a raid geared well played SK... But a well played raid geared enchanter might struggle against a shaman or Druid...

You could go on and on with examples like this, and it's part of what makes pvp fun and different all the time depending on who you happen to go to war against at any given time
  15. Battleaxe Augur

I don't PvP. TBH I didn't even play against other players in DooM - no interest. And I'll explain why.

Killing (depending on who is doing what to whom) is murder. If I kill an Orc any reasonable Orc would see it as murder and want me to be run down like a dog and eliminated. So...why should I kill?

1. The other is a threat to kill me.
    2. The other deserves to be killed (has bad faction with me and/or my allies).
    3. I'm a terrible strong arm thief. I can't confront another, demand and get their "wallet", and walk away. I have to kill.
    4. I'm a chaotic thrill killer. Butterflies? Whoa I should kill them.

Shoot "a man in Reno just to watch him die" and I'd expect to be a wanted man by all lawful citizens of Reno and their allies. I'd expect a posse tracking me in neighboring zones.

IMO the faction systems on the games I've seen are not robust enough to handle war, rumbles, grudges, bounty hunting, murder, etc. and impose thoughtful persistent consequences reflecting circumstance. PvP may be challenging because its twitchy but it's also as cerebral as coming out of the shadows and bonking a guy on the head with a 2x4 because you can. I'm not satisfied playing a console game.
  16. Schadenfreude Augur

He's their "PvP guy" or at least one of them. Most of the games he loves had very poor or flawed PvE.