A Few Noob Questions from a Returning Player

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Korzu, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Korzu New Member

Hey everyone. I played EQ from about 1999 until 2002 when I was a kid and hearing about the time locked progression servers made me want to take the plunge and start playing again. I have a few noob questions, though, and I would be grateful to anyone who took the time to respond to my queries. Thank you.

Are all time lost progression servers on classic, or are any on Kunark/Velious? If they're all classic, when might they be unlocked to Kunark?

Are these servers free to play too or do I need a membership?

Is there a way to tell the differences between time lost progression servers in terms of what they have unlocked?

I guess those are the questions I have at this time. Thank you. I think I'm going to make a wizard first, farm hill giants, and then twink out a melee. Maybe a rogue or a shadow knight.
  2. Alpha_Ragefire Lorekeeper

There are two Ragefire and Lockjaw, both are still in classic but Ragefire should be in Kunark in a few weeks. No, they are not free to play.
  3. Korzu New Member

Thank you for responding.

Do I have to have a membership to play on those servers? And, more importantly, do I have to buy the actual game or is everything included in a membership?

Hmmm. What are some good solo classes for Kunark?

Everquest is an unforgiving game and, as a kid, most of my experiences playing were probably in the 40s because I just wasn't good. I think I got to Karnor's Castle a few times and played in the Dreadlands as an Enchanter, but I don't want the hustle/bustle of charming/mesmerizing mobs this time around.
  4. Deadshade Augur

- they are classic for a start. Kunark will open for Ragefire soon , for Lockjaw in 3 months (if a majority of players votes for unlocking it) .
    Then will come Velious (again provided vote says yes) . Etc
    - Subscription only
    - Time LOCKED. That means that they stay locked in an era (Classis f.ex) as long as the majority vote doesn't say to unlock the next expansion. The vote starts theoretically when all major raid targets have been killed. In practice there is a minimum time to stay in an era even if all targets have been killed.
    Currently it s 3 months for RF and 6 months for LJ for classic. Nobody knows what the minimum will be for Kunark.
  5. Hendar2 Augur

And to clarify... subscription only means that yes, you need a membership. The game client is free to download (with or without a subscription).

Oh the days of having a new expansion release but your local stores are out of the clients.
  6. Korzu New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've started playing again on Ragefire, currently have a level 6 wizard. Leveling is going slower than I even remembered! Been saving up bone chips (have like 260 now!) to sell them so I can buy some jewelry or something to help level.

How do people trade on this server? EC tunnels? Or is there a trade chat or?
  7. Deadshade Augur

- Levelling is going 2 to 3 times faster than back in 99. And there are no hell levels.
    - In full groups it is really fast
    - In the first levels do the newbie quests - you will go from 1 to 5 in like a few hours. If you are in Greater Faydark, collect and hoard belts. These will bring you to 8-9 and give you a few PP as well. In Nektulous you can do 1-8 in 1 hour with quests.
    - Trading happens indeed in tunnel. There is also /auction command.
    - Low level (silver, electrum) jewelery is incredibly cheap. You ll get INT rings for 5 PP or even for nothing if you meet a kind jeweler. Gather and keep spiderling silk - it sells 1 PP per so that it is much better than bone chips. On the other hand in most towns (Felwithe, Kaladim f.ex) there is a bone chip quest which will give you decent XP, money and faction at low levels. Even if a bone stack (100) can sell for 30 PP or so, I always preferred to use them for quests.
  8. Urshulgi Augur

If you have disposable income, $18 in this case, buy a krono and sell it for 7k platinum, and you'll be able to buy a decent set of twink gear to get you started.
  9. AlmarsGuides Augur

Welcome back, I hope you enjoy the TLP servers =)

If you have any questions on Ragefire feel free to add Almar to your friends list, I am on him usually at least once a day for a little while. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Or, if you can't get into contact with me there toss me a PM here and I will answer you as quickly as possible.
  10. Batbener Augur

There are some changes you should know. Your gear doesn't stay on your corpse when you die. You respawn fully geared and with all your inventory. There is a new advanced looting tool that is actually quite nice once you get the hang of it. You don't need a key to get into the hole, though you probably will to get into SEB and howling stones and others. Some of the zones are different, like south ro and the oasis were merged, and free port is an abomination. There isn't even a north freeport zone, though all the old NPCs are there. There is a little find button to help you find them in the cities. There are maps in the game, so sense heading is obsolete. Still a great game, it's just not going to be exactly as you remember. Oh, and the new player models are on, but there is a way to switch to the old models, which I recommend.
  11. Croak Augur

Just 1 correction to what is above - there are currently 4 timelocked progression servers

Lockjaw - Classic lv50 level cap - for at least 3 more months
    RageFire - Classic lv50 level cap - vote coming very soon for Kunark
    Vulak - Seeds of Destruction (released 2008) lv 85 level cap - can play with mercs there but it is unlikely to progress further
    Fippy - Veil of Alaris (released 2011) lv95 level cap - probably at least 3 more months to go until next expansion

None of the servers are Free to Play though Fippy really should have that option during VoA.

Live servers currently allow free to play and you get free expansions up until Reign of Fear, which is the expansion after Veil of Alaris. It is possible that by the time Call of the Forsaken is unlocked on Fippy, that it too will be free for all users.

With Lockjaw and Ragefire it will be many years (5+) before you will have to buy an expension.