Need suggestion for 3rd toon

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yenw712, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Yenw712 New Member

Planning on starting fresh on TLP server (lockjaw), and due to weird online playtimes I will be boxing 3 characters in order to be self sufficient.

Mage + Druid as the first two toons are set in stone, but undecided on what class would be a good compliment as the 3rd box. So far I think my options are:

Shaman - slow, wolf pet, dots, buffs
    Enchanter - slow, clarity, mez, lull to break camps
    Cleric - best heals, buffs for pets, pacify to break camps

I am looking for a setup that will allow me to perform well adventuring in top end dungeons (hole, solb) without too much trouble. Due to my playtime schedule I will not be raiding, although I would like to experience the current raid zones like fear/hate one expansion behind when kunark comes out. I would more than likely be playing up until POP only, as I doubt I'll still be playing 2 years down the road. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Simone Augur

Well you already have a druid so having a cleric or shaman in addition to that wont be as needed since you already have heals. Enchanter is probably best since they can cast clarity on your characters as well as slow on the mobs to reduce their DPS. Not sure how well enchanter haste stacks up versus the magician's pet haste but that might also be good. Also can't go wrong by having the ability to mez mobs.

That said I don't think there are any playtimes that are "weird" as there seems to be active guilds at just about all time slots on Lockjaw so you could probably find a guild that fits your needs if look for one.
  3. Yenw712 New Member

Thanks for the feedback Simone. When I mean my playtimes are "weird" I dont mean time zone difference, but rather my playtimes come in short erratic burst (anywhere from 20min - 1.5 hours) where I need to be able to log immediately to deal with real world issues. This is why I have decided to make a 3rd toon to have my own self sufficient group as my playtime forbids any kind of meaningful raiding, and by the time I have formed a normal xp group more than likely I would have to log already.
    Simone likes this.
  4. Simone Augur

Ah okay.
  5. Old_Timer Journeyman

Bard works very well with mage/druid.
  6. Skadad Journeyman

another mage :D
    Ducreux likes this.
  7. Matthias The Man Journeyman

ENC MAGE DRU is my box combo personally and i love it - Buffs Ports and Heals CC and Charm - and Im pretty rock solid - I can take any camp, and i melt in well to other groups - In addition, I can quickly drop one or two of my toons and flip into any role quickly for any given group.

My suggestion would be to spend the majority of your time on your Chanter, as that is the most "intense" character you have for keys and actions
  8. Yenw712 New Member

Thanks for the advice Matthias. When boxing Enc Mage Dru, do you try and use charm pets for Enc, or the regular summon pet? By 3 boxing toons I would think the uncertainty and risk added for charmed enc pet make it not worth it, but again, maybe I'm just an inefficient 3 boxer (I dont use any 3rd party programs and only use alt tab to switch toons).
  9. Matthias The Man Journeyman

I would try to begin nice and slow with the summoned animation, Get comfortable slowly with the abilities all three of your characters can wield.

My personal set up:
    Control and Pull with Enchanter -- Bring to Camp Chanter tashes + Throws Charm pet
    2. mage assists throws pet + malos
    3. Druid assists mage and casts snare
    4. Nuke With Mage Until Death
    5. Heal with Druid =D

A more simplistic Set up
    1. Pull with tash With ENC animation up. Let mob hit ENC
    2. Mage assists Enchanter Sends pet and malo
    3. Druid heals ENC or nukes target depending on NPC your fighting

I have all my resist types on the same keys. so magic is 2 for all toons fire is 3 - and my Enchanter stuns

-- My advice Is to take it slow with this box comp and learn it =D You don't need to rush to charming - I have 15 years experience and i still get a little caught off guard while boxing =D

This box comp has alot of power and will serve you well into Level 105
  10. Yenw712 New Member

Thank you very much for the tip, I think I will start off slow with the animation as you had suggested.

Curious, is plane of hate/fear trash mobs possible with this setup of 3 toons at 50?
  11. Matthias The Man Journeyman

Yes- Carefully - but you would do much better with a group of others - My suggestion, Join a guild on the server, even if you dont intend on raiding. Teaming up with others is like 90% of the fun - its really cool when you start teaming up with other boxers as well.

Lots of cool guilds on Ragefire.

Whatever you do - Chill, Kick back and have fun
  12. Anarth Lorekeeper

Pull with snare on druid, enc tashes + slow before gets to camp, send mage pet + malo, drui + enc dot, burn with mage from 30-40% to 0 depending on dungeon/planes
  13. Pikallo Augur

I box Druid/Mage/Ench (alt-tab style) as well and agree that it is arguably the strongest 3 man(unique class) setup available right now in classic. I trio in fear all the time and have a full set of planar gear on the druid exclusively from this combo. I've also ventured pretty deep in the hole, farmed FG's in solb, and camped any of the standard "top end" camps in the game quite easily (Lord/King in guk, efreeti, etc).

Charming works great if you can manage it, but trying to effectively play 3 classes with the added hassle of having to worry about charm breaking at an inopportune time is not worth it to me. I just use the 48 animation and have no issues with dps. I will say that a SLTW Rock Golem in the hole will shred through stuff pretty quick - but you have to be really careful. Without a rezzer, I prefer the safe/slow method.
  14. gladiatoreq Elder

You could also consider a necromancer instead of an enchanter. Sure, you lose clarity on two characters, but you'll have Lich on the Necro. Necro pairs nicely with druid for dotting and the mage pet tank playstyle. You shouldn't even have to heal pets, if one dies, the other will take over tanking while you summon a new one. Very effective/efficient.

Much easier to farm camps this way, and you'll have much more DPS than you would with an enchanter.
  15. Kibanu Augur

I'd do enchanter.

By the way, unless they changed it, the "threat level" of the first spell casted on a mob will not actually count towards threat. So you pull with your highest threat spell (tash works great) and anyone can simply tag off of you when they get there.
  16. Rhaage Augur

Enchanter would be a good choice as it provides CC for the group as well as the clarity buff line, the downside is two silk classes which have similar gear needs.

An SK/War/Pal could be thrown in the mix to allow the mage to use dps pets instead and would give you a leather, silk and plate class...
  17. Simone Augur

Enchanter is the best puller since enchanter has can casts lull spells. I used to play enchanter main a long time ago and spent lots of time as the puller for a number of groups especially when doing LDoN adventures.
  18. Necromonious Augur

alt-tab is really inconvenient when you have 3+ instances open, it would probably be faster to click each window depending on your computer setup.

Here's my different take on things. I've been doing a 2box for years and years, and now a 3box for months. If you are dead-set on using alt-tab and not that into macros, you would have better overall performance and in my opinion a greater 3box longevity by going with bard as third. Bard is built for alt-tab boxing because it rarely needs attention outside of the occasional cc attempt, can just be a melody bot

This allows you to comfortably alt-tab between 2 mains for long periods of time gaming a 3box and not get stressed out or overwhelmed from 3 characters that would otherwise require a good amount of attention (most: chanter, middle: druid, least: mage), and you would never have the same kind of alt-tab fluidity when you are going between 3.

I only play Live but reaction speed and stress level boxing is very important to me, I'll sacrifice a little composition strength for a little less headache ;)
  19. Jaxarale01 Augur

My original 3 box was Mage/Druid/Chanter and it was a blast.
    There is nothing while leveling you can not handle with ease. Once you get clarity your kill rate goes through the roof.
    You can hold any level appropriate named camp solo and many that normally you could not.

If you want to group you will almost never have to wait as you have a needed class on all three.
    If I got a group with enchanter I play the other two outside as dps and the group would just mow down mobs.

Enchanter dings... rotate mage in and mezz/outside of group... rinse repeat when mage dings and rotate druid in.

Once max level PLing anything with the druid and chanter is a cake walk.

TLDR: add enchanter
  20. Pikallo Augur

I disagree that clicking would be faster. Clicking anything in general is going to be slower than having something keybound. Having 3 windows with alt-tab is not that difficult. Alt-tab switches between the 2 most recent windows, and a quick Alt-tab-tab would switch to the 3rd. Getting stressed and overwhelmed really depends on your awareness and ability to multi-task. For me, coming from WoW high end arenas, I like the idea of faster gameplay and constantly flipping windows and always doing something. It definitely involves more work(and "stress") but can be fun and challenging as well as productive when done properly.

That being said, if you want a slower, low stress group - the bard wouldn't be a bad 3rd to just sorta afk and sing, but it certainly would have lower strength and potential than if you were actively playing an enchanter.