Why do you prefer Ragefire or Lockjaw?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lumiens, Aug 8, 2015.

1. ElaidaTL Augur

I would just like to say that all this mud slinging i see coming from LJ people about RF doesnt really support the claim that the people on LJ are oh so much nicer and of a better class then those on RF.
    I wont sling any mud back because.. well im from RF. Do the math.
    Stay classy LJ.
    lalaloup likes this.
  2. ElaidaTL Augur

They are xenophobic. Its THEIRS and has to remain THEIRS, but all the problematic people are from RF I guess.
  3. lalaloup Augur

Unless you go out of your way to show that you're nice and outgoing, players today seem far more paranoid regardless of their server.
    Jezzie likes this.
  4. Voodu_The_Ogre New Member

Folks on lockjaw are pretty damn chill. I love it here, the community plays nice together (very little drama). Just by looking at the official forums, there is a stark contrast between the two servers.

Since the two servers have opened, the amount of negative threads about ragefire, compared to lockjaw look to be around 10 - 1 if not higher. Maybe folks on lockjaw just don't care to post on the forums, and people who play on ragefire just like to post more.

I don't play on ragefire so I can't comment. But if I were a betting man... I would have to stack the odds that ragefire has issues that players find more distasteful, and are more vocal about it compared to lockjaw. The evidence I draw that from is the outcry of the community on these forums.

So many negative posts regarding ragefire. Why so few from lockjaw? That's all I got. Not bashing ragefire, no idea what it's like. I'm just going by what I see posted on the forums. I hope both servers live long healthy lives, and the players are happy where they are. Also hope to see less drama play out on the forums, new/returning players I am sure are turned off by what they see posted here.
    Jezzie likes this.
  5. Jezzie Augur

Played on both servers, for me the main difference would be the amount of respect players show each other.
    On Ragefire the mentality was very much dps race, so if you were "outgunned" shall we say, you were better off just walking away and finding somewhere else to be/do.
    On Lockjaw I don't think I've ever seen so many people actually send a tell apologizing thinking they were impeding play. Granted, this was at lower levels. Players are a little less polite later on, guessing due to lack of content. It's certainly not unbearable though.
    Ragefire is definitely the more "competitive" of the 2, you're definitely more likely to be dps racing just regular xp mobs and most certainly named.
    From a frustration standpoint, both servers can be that way but what I find is my frustration comes more from working the same zone/area for too long (Lockjaw). The frustration came from other players (directly) or hearing about it in guild/vent (Ragefire)
    Maybe that situation has improved with the decrease in population on Ragefire but judging by the posts on these forums from Ragefire players, my guess would be it's still bad.
    I am not a competitive player, I like to come home from work and spend my weekends tinkering around on EQ. I'm a yearly subber and that allows me to just kick back and take it easy, I don't have to worry about making krono to play next month, I think that allows me to play and relax. My sub is coming up, I wasn't having a good time on Ragefire. Lockjaw is the reason I'm renewing.
    Longevity?
    That's a tough one because both servers seem to have opposing views of what it takes to preserve a healthy population. Lockjaw is (for now) the 6 month per expansion server and it's totally possible that players may get bored. My personal opinion is that it will make Kunark unlocking a much richer experience.
    Nobody knows what Ragefires schedule is, it seems the plan is to discuss it after Kunark unlocks and I guess that'll be another vote. 3 months per expansion is too fast for me and although that's not the official ruling it's a chance I'm not willing to take.
    My personal opinion is that the competitiveness will hurt the population on Ragefire, The casuals will move on and many/most of the hardcores will quit when EQ goes instanced as was the case on 2.0. Therefore, it's my opinion that Lockjaw has the better chance of the 2 to maintain a population past GoD.
    Voodu_The_Ogre likes this.
  6. Mardukk New Member

I'm debating going from lockjaw to RF. I'm not sure I can stand playing classic until december. There seems to be a hole in open world non dungeon hunting spots at 30+ in classic. I am concerned that all the hunting spots are going to be over camped on RF though. Hopefully things will open up a bit more with kunark.
  7. MMOer Augur

Both servers have great folk and dumb butts. For me it really came down to the futures of the server. While DBG are complete flakes and will not to commit and change direction that the shed of a tear we must make the best choice we can for what we want.

Since the server xfers

Ragefire has a majority people who want a faster paced TLP.

Lockjaw has a majority that want a slower pace TLP

While I would like the 3 mo kunark I dont want 3 mo anything else and I fear that is what will happen on RF but not on LJ.

Check out this poll..

http://strawpoll.me/5100005
  8. MMOer Augur

Based on the poll...

Ragefire:
    59% want 3 month TLP
    41% want 6 month TLP

Lockjaw:
    84% want 6 month TLP
    16% want 3 month TLP

When votes start getting flung around for one server to be 3 mo and one to be 6 mo which do you want to be on? This is the main question people should ask themselves. The rest is just talking points.
    Thewiz likes this.
  9. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

ragefire for me, because 6 months on lockjaw isnt actually 6 months, but 7, 8, or more as we start seeing guilds competing for key mobs in kunark, velious, luclin.
  10. Friday Augur

Moved from RF to LJ and have to say I am liking Lockjaw a lot more. Its not perfect, and there certainly are things and people to like on both servers.

But overall I would say the mood is more kickback on LJ. Just one example...folks encroaching on your camp on RF, it usually meant trouble and drama. On LJ if someone is medding near your camp or pulling a couple mobs from your camp, more often than not they are just fishing for a group invite.

The attitude (if not the actual rules set) tends toward PvP on RF, LJ seems definitely more PvE/cooperative.
    Jezzie and Voodu_The_Ogre like this.
  11. -wycca Augur

It's not official, but today 11 guilds came together and organized a community rotation for Ragefire to replace the current one.

While the raid scene isn't the same as the group scene, it laid the groundwork for a rotation that should respect everybody from the most competitive of guilds, to guilds who are a bit competitive, to mid-tier guilds, to casual raiding guilds who raid for 4hrs 3 nights a week. The idea was to have something for all playstyles, and to build an inclusive raiding community.

I invite you guys to take a look as you look between servers. If raiding is your thing, Ragefire may surprise you in that it may be more friendly to you than Lockjaw in a short time.

http://ragefireforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=363&sid=edb240de9c22fd52f6fb22c87be645cd

Despite what the forums may look like, it's often a vocal minority. Truth is, there's a large group of Ragefire players interested in making it a fun, enjoyable place to play. Be careful of reading as gospel what you hear/see on the forums, and also be careful the posters aren't describing old events.

Ultimately though, LJ has a better rep than Ragefire, probably for a reason, and I'm guessing you'll like it there if you pick it. Hope you give RF a look as well, but ultimately, do whats fun for you =)
  12. Kloodge Elder

I have played extensively on both servers, but my highest characters are low 40s, so I have nothing to say about the planes or raids.

Even though I like the overall feel of LJ better, I moved my mains to RF today, for one reason: general skill level.

LJ is known as the more casual server, and it is, but not just in hours played. The number of bad groups I've had is much higher on LJ.

The number of stealth/long AFK's by group members is much higher on LJ.

The number of times I've run backwards in front of someone hailing them over and over trying to SoW them and been completely unnoticed/ignored (while seeing them steering) is much higher on LJ.

The number of times I have walked up to someone, started to buff them and have them run off before the 2nd buff lands is much higher on LJ.

The number of times I have buffed people or entire groups and not even had my presence acknowledged is much higher on LJ. Sometimes I don't think they even realize they are being buffed.

I run around buffing people when I'm bored, sometimes for hours at a time. There is a very definite difference between the two servers at low-mid level. Of course, there are some of all types on both servers, but the people on RF as a whole seem more responsive, knowledgeable and serious about playing.

This could even out at higher levels, and maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's how I see it and why I moved.
  13. Jarbaal New Member

The responses on this thread are all over the place, it's hilarious. I am personally on Ragefire and have always been on Ragefire. Every week I see tons of posts about the toxicity of Ragefire and lots of negativity about the server...but I've never once experienced it in game. Well....one time I argued with a 12 boxer. But as far as I know 12+ boxing is on both servers. In the end it always seems to me that the vocal minority come to these forums as a way to vent while the happy majority are out there playing the game. Most of the happy majority probably don't even know these forums exists.
    Lets take my group of friends for example. There are 6 of us that play together. Out of those six we have 3 EQ vets (people who raided on live and know the game like the back of their hand...I'm one of these). We have 2 people who probably never made it past 30 back in 2001. And there is one casual player who maybe raided once or twice in Velious. Out of those 6 I am the only one that browses the forums.
    When I talk to my friends about the supposed state of toxicity on Ragefire that the forums perpetuate they really don't understand it...All of us are having a blast and have never experienced any of the complaints that, if you believed the forums, are rampant on the server.
    So, to all of you that already play on the servers and post/read these forums: lighten up a little bit. You're making the game look a lot worse than it really is. To all of you reading these forums and considering playing on either server: give it a go and ignore these forum warriors, the waters are a lot nicer than they seem.
    Xanumbik and Tuiv like this.
  14. Kloodge Elder

I have never noticed a difference in "toxicity" levels between the two servers. I assumed it was mainly involving raids or the crowded camps like Guk, which I generally avoid.
  15. Tuiv Journeyman

In agreement with Jarbaal, I box myself and have not run into a single issue with any players in game.
    The "toxicity" on the forums vs actual in game is completely different.
    Perhaps the only real concern is with the raiding scene which I don't have the time for these days. It looks like that is being sorted out for everyone to be involved but this game was built on competition though. If you played classic through PoP, every step of the way was extreme competition if you wanted to fight against the hardest content of that era.
  16. Finley Augur

Yes, the veneer is starting to fade. Hopefully no one makes a mistake and ends up somewhere that is quite different than they thought it would be; I believe transfers close tonight.
  17. Ombadu New Member

I'm downloading EQ right now - just discovered this.
    I'm joining Lockjaw because I don't intend to ever reach raid level stuff.
    6 months on classic and 6 months on kunark sounds faster then I prefer to go - and I already missed 2 months.
    At the moment I'm very excited to get into crushbone.

I would like to see a PvP progression server in the future and relive the glory days.

Ombadu - EQ Vallon Zek, 2001
    Friday likes this.
  18. Xanumbik Augur

You know i have NEVER had issues with people being Dicks on RF, one time in CMM i thought i was going to have a problem but i straight out asked them in say " are we going to be dicks tonight and make sure no one has a nice evening or are we going to chill and enjoy getting exp" and we were chill and everything was ok. i lasted one day on LJ and just the attitude people coming from RF were getting before they even grouped with people was enough for me to say i would stick with the devil i know.
  19. Lejaun Augur

The only thing I dislike about Lockjaw is the time to unlock it. I don't want the fast unlock that Ragefire is going at, neither do I want the slower unlock. For almost any class I'm very happy with 6-months of classic. As a rogue, however, I'm really looking forward to Kunark. Ragebringer and double backstab would really make a huge difference.

Ahh, the agony. =) Fun either way,though.
  20. Ombadu New Member

<edit> I was unable to logon to Lockjaw today. It's not a choice in the list.
    Is that because I am using my free play time?