The next time this happens

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warzon, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Warzon Elder

I haven't completely given up hope of satisfactory resolution regarding the Lockjaw unlocking fiasco. But I have all but given up hope.

So lets talk about the next time this happens.

When DBG does something to wreck a server so thoroughly.

1. Take the server down. DO NOT BE IN A RUSH TO BRING IT BACK UP. Lockjaw should have been down since Monday. That's just the truth. Bringing it back up was irresponsible.

2. Get some folks experienced with the game into a room. I can give you a list of ten people who can, between them, come up with every possible scenario for how to exploit whatever it is you did. I'm hoping you have some people there who are good at EQ, but I don't want to assume that. Ask for help if you aren't 100% sure you've got it handled.

3. Assume some people did end up exploiting whatever mistake you made, and assume most of them did it accidentally.

4. Carefully undo whatever it is those people did. If it was thousands of people doing thousands of things, that you cannot reasonably undo, then, and only then, do a rollback.

5. Roll back everybody, the entire server, until just before whatever change was made.

6. Immediately announce what happened, what you did, and why. Publicly state what, if any, gear will be replaced. With thresholds for what you're willing to bother with and the expected timeline.

7. Do not provide a brief window of double exp. Do provide exp potions and so forth, account time, station cash, something that can help us recover on our own time.

By aggressively rolling back characters 2-3 days instead of 20-30 minutes, you have dramatically increased the work on yourself. By not rolling everyone back, you have dramatically increased the work on yourself. By not talking about what is going on, you have caused server-wide disruption. Are more rollbacks coming? Should I play my main? I'm frustrated doing anything because of being afraid I'll get rolled back into oblivion or banned for grouping with someone wearing defiant.

The numbers logged in for my guild have been decimated. (Instead of 150-200 at a time, we're sitting at 30-40). People are in a wait and see mode, they don't know what to do, and those people that are online are furiously leveling up 6 mages while the double exp lasts.

I just cannot emphasize enough how badly this was handled. It was a colossal mistake, and the handling of it made it so much worse. We have no reason to be sympathetic to how long it is taking you to respond to petitions, because we know that the massive flood of petitions is due entirely to your decision to roll people back far in excess of when the issues were going on.

Why did you do that anyway? What possible benefit could that serve?

Could someone talk to us? Is there anyone in charge over there heading up the effort to deal with this?

If we are S.O.L. then please let us know ASAP so we can deal with it. Guilds need to figure out how to rewind DKP or if they're going to. Do I get put back on the list for uber drop #1 at my old spot? A new spot? Right now I'm not on the list because I might get my item restored.

We can't do what we need to do until we know what you're going to do.

We're in the middle of a game, the refs called a foul. Now they're on the sideline discussing if the scoreboard should say 9 to 7 or banana vs cupcake for a couple of hours. They take half the players, make them trade jerseys with the other half, declare this game will actually be for the championship, and then call play to start again. The players wander around for a little bit, tentatively trying to decide if they're OK with what just happened or not, and then the refs hand guns to some of the players and say "shoot them if they cheat."

Do you at least see what you're doing wrong here?
    Glacial, Elkay, Finchy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Uumdano Augur

Bravo. What a disaster.
  3. Dikkan New Member

/agree Warzon

Well said.
  4. Glacial New Member

^^ This. Already canceled my sub. Should I get a response to my cs ticket with what I deem appropriated compensation ill re up.
    Steampunk likes this.
  5. khariste New Member

Bravo. I've never seen such a bizarre analogy so clearly illustrate exactly what's going on.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'm some how extremely glad that I'm not on Lockjaw, yet extremely disappointed that if I want the slower progression I might have transfer to this server which may or may not be ruined going forward in terms of possible dupes etc...
  7. Raelsmar Lorekeeper

Yeah I've been off and on debating on whether I am going to transfer to Lockjaw because ideally I'd like more than a 3 month lockout period, but preferably less than 6 months, which obviously isn't going to happen.

The idea that all of this mess might not be cleaned up properly and some people having an unfair advantage by being able to hang on to some duped and/or what are out of era items/should not be available items has me questioning if it's worth transferring or not at this point.

I'm hoping and assuming DBG will offer some clarity about this situation in the near future and I am not being sarcastic when I say that.
  8. Diemond Augur

I'm moving to Lockjaw and even with the 6 month wait i'll still be voting no to unlock on all my accounts. I want TLP to last as long as possible. I doubt it'll fail to open though.
    Steampunk likes this.