Where DDOS attacks come from

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Motherlee, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Khat_Nip Meow

lol. Which security hole? The one realized between 1:10 and 1:15pm six months ago or one of the ones every 5 mins since or before then?
    FLASH: Just say no.
    Geroblue, Iila and Motherlee like this.
  2. Iila Augur

Having Flash installed is the security hole.
    Motherlee and Geroblue like this.
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

[IMG]http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33542490

"Twenty-eight people have been arrested."

"The FBI added that dozens of other people linked to the site had been charged or had their property searched as part of the inquiry."

"He added that the forum's visitors included members of Lizard Squad - a group of hackers which has carried out high-profile attacks on Sony, Microsoft and others."
    svann likes this.
  4. Devildawg Elder

Not to give those kiddies more publicity than they deserve by talking about them (which is really what they want), but the primary loser who was attacking Smed has allegedly fled Finland :p Mommy and daddy must be so proud.
  5. lancelove Augur

feel silly yet? keep biting the hand that feeds you and see what happens
  6. Motherlee Augur

Can netbots really infect someone through Flash? Wouldn't Verizon detect it if my computer was being used in a DDOS?
  7. Iila Augur

In a word: Yes.
    In two words: Hell yes.

Flash had three 0day exploits found in one week. Two of those were in exploit kits being used in the wild.

The infection vector is usually flash advertisements. They use a stolen CC to buy a few hundred thousand impressions through an ad network, and upload a malicious ad to be run. That ad will attempt to execute its malicious code to download and install the actual program that turns a PC into a bot. Probably with some other programs that attempt to extract from money from the host like cryptolockers, key loggers, fake spyware/virus detections, etc.

As for verizion detecting you being a bot, maaaaybe. But mostly, nope. They do have checks for bot-like behavior, but that's about a 5th line defense and not a good way to identify infections.
    Motherlee likes this.
  8. Motherlee Augur

When I looked for programs that might detect them, they were trial versions for professionals. Seems to me if bot detection were included in say, a free version of Malwarebytes, we could take away the food supply for DDOSers.
  9. Povarmonk Elder

Are the revamps going to be extended since we lost time for the this attack to EQ?
  10. Iila Augur

Anti-virus programs would be the ones to remove/prevent infections. There's definitely some crossover between things removed by AVs and anti-malware programs, but these tend to be a deeper infection than what malwarebytes covers.

There's no simple answers to killing botnets, it's a complex cat and mouse game, with the botnet side always having an advantage.
    Motherlee likes this.
  11. Splittin Journeyman

DDOS attack come from punk kids who have too much time on their hands. Which they really need those hands chopped off.
  12. Motherlee Augur

It only takes one to activate all the infected computers. Biological population control theory, fertilize the male who can impregnate 100000 females. We can't do that because there will always be script kiddies. So we have to take away their food source.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

AV can protect you from known issues. Theoretically it can prevent unknown issues, but it's track record is bad at that (and it spends most of your computers power trying to do so, with a million false positives).

By the time an AV product can prevent an infection, usually a software patch is available that will prevent it as well.

It's generally easy to avoid infection. Don't use suspect software. Flash is pretty bad. It's like the RealPlayer of the 21st century.
    Iila likes this.
  14. Motherlee Augur

True story. I got a survey from Microsoft the other day and it used Flash. In the comments section, I wrote, "Flash? Really Microsoft???"
    Iila likes this.
  15. Iila Augur

[IMG]

If you're not sure, follow all of these.

If you understand more, you know what bits can be left aside.
    Motherlee likes this.
  16. Motherlee Augur

Password manager, huh? I thought that might be less secure because they only have to hack one.
  17. Iila Augur

Ok, I lied.

Change passwords frequently is just dumb if you're following the other advice of having strong and unique passwords. Changing passwords is protection against your weak, reused passwords being pwned and used against you. All it does is encourage people to use easier to remember passwords because they think changing PWs every week is somehow more secure than using unique PWs on every site.

Completely pwned = completely pwned. For anything less, a password manager lets you use complex and unique PWs for each site in a way that is easy and convenient.
    Bigstomp and Motherlee like this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

So true.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

It lets you use extremely strong passwords everywhere, and you only have to remember one very strong password to unlock your password list.
    So as long as you can remember one very good password to unlock your list, you can use random gibberish everywhere else that nobody could possibly guess and you don't have to remember.
  20. Motherlee Augur

Which you will have to write down and keep in your desk. :-D