Looking for some advice, left after Shadows of Luclin

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by OldManReturnith, Jul 13, 2015.

1. OldManReturnith New Member

Morning all,
    I hope someone has a few minutes to try to fill me in on the changes that have happened since I left. I played a little of the Shadows of Luclin then had to bow out due to a few life changes. I am finally at a point where I am looking to play again but I have noticed there are many changes to the world.
    I played a cleric and was in a good raiding guild but just couldn't handle the raiding requirements anymore. Besides, trying to run a healing rotation was a pita back then with lag and people having computer issues. I really don't want to get into that again, at least now now.
    I loved playing my necro and enjoyed the solo and pulling but hated the twitching during raids.
    I am going to probably start a necro again, Iskar just for old times sake I think,
    If anyone has time to fill me in on the changes that have happened over the many years I would really appreciate it.
    I am not planning on doing the level jump since I need to refresh my old brain cells and remember how to play again.
    I do love role-playing so I will probably go to the role-playing server once I get a couple of trial runs on other servers. It looks like I am limited to 2 slots and I am guessing I have to pay to get more.
    Is there a benefit to paying and is it just paying for the expansions or is there also a monthly fee?
    I am sure I will have a few more questions once I get my hands dirty again but anyone with some advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Past life - Hammerr the Dwarf Cleric
    Thanks and be well
  2. Ferry-Tunare Augur

I would suggest looking at it as a new game that you've never played before. Very little of your past life will transfer over including your thoughts on role-playing. Subscribing will let you join one of the progression servers which is probably your best bet for starting out again. I suggest avoiding the Vox progression server and the Firiona Vie roleplaying server. Anything other than the progression servers are pretty dead at the high end and completely dead at the low end. Also end game raiding is very different now in that all end game content can be completed in an evening. Welcome back!
  3. Fleeting Augur

have to say if u plan on playing on a current server xegony etc ull be playing alot alot of catch up so i would recommend playing on the progression servers because ull be right back where u stopped and have some sort of familiarity to things u wont beable to start a iksar necro but supposable they might have race changes available for people... i would personally pay the sub and do the progression server because then u can find people where ur at and play with them instead of playing on a normal server and asking people to help you with stuff who are 105 when ur lvl 10, it just makes it alot easier on you to do the prog server as well.....

your only thing i would reccomend is look at all the class's again because things changed .. necros although are still the kings of solo =)
  4. frankie78227 Augur

Run the tutorial on a live server before you re-sub. It is quite helpful to reacquaint people with EQ. Also check out test server as you can play as all access for free and see the benefits of a subscription. If you are going to play on a progression server, Lockjaw is probably the better choice IMO. Also right now there are no iksar on the two new prog servers.

Some good reading at http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/ swiped from Borek (hope you don't mind).
  5. sifonin Augur

Hey there!

Welcome back! As others have stated the game has just mif-flated over the years with gear and mobs hp growing exponentially (skyrocketing from house of Thule onward I'd say) but that isn't a bad thing! There's so much to discover both in the old content and new and everything in between. If you need necro advice, best to check out the necrotalk forums. Also feel free to send me a private message, I main a raid necro and would love to help in any way I can.

Best,

Sifonin
  6. Sebbina Augur

You say you only have 2 character slots, I would assume that you have lost/forgotten your original log in, as old accounts return as silver with 4 character slots. You might try to find the old info and failing that contact Daybreak to see if they can assist you to regain your old one, as there are some benefits to it. In any case playing for free allows folk to get to level 100, only 2 expansions behind the current release. Playing on the progression servers requires the monthly fee, while playing on the regular servers, can be done for free (lots of limitations) but still enough freedom to relearn the game.
    Borek-VS likes this.
  7. OldManReturnith New Member

I stopped playing right after the Vah Shir came out. Got divorced, moved a few times, got married and had a baby 6 months ago, so remembering anything about that account is like finding an honest politician. I don't even have any of the same credit cards from then so I will just start over and have fun like I did back in the day. I did pay for an account so I could play on the progressive servers and I am having fun remembering so much from the initial days of EQ.
  8. LachiusTZ Lorekeeper

Stay gone. Daybreak is as clueless as SOE. What's even worse, they don't know it, and refuse to be told.

Just play project 1999. The GMs there will ban people you don't like for cash, and trade items in game for weed, but it's still better than daybreak.
  9. Necromonious Augur

I play on Fv, while it is called the role playing server, there really isn't any role playing that goes on there. I don't see as much conversation in general chat on fv, as I do on cazic-thule server. If you are soloing fv is a quieter server so it might still work, but the higher pop other servers will have a little more grouping