Activity timers have got to go.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trazzlo, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Trazzlo Elder

EQ never kicked us out (let alone so flipping soon) for being inactive. This stupid system was put in only because Daybreak totally botched the roll out of Ragefire. Had they had their ducks in a row, they would have had the second server up much, much faster.

Instead the players are hobbled with being tossed out of the game simply if they focus on something that isn't considered an "action", like tweeking the UI.

Then it tells us we need to re-enter the password, but claims it can't validate the account we were just on, and we are now logging back in to, so we have to do the same log in twice.

How about Daybreak take this software out, which was put in purely to save Daybreaks caboose when they intentionally overloaded the server to get some press out of it?
    Aanuvane and Nenake like this.
  2. vardune Augur

Yes i agree remove this completely.
  3. Porygon Augur

I tweeted this to holly the other day, she seemed surprised it was still in game, she said she would bring it up to the devs. I imagine next patch you'll see it removed.
  4. Bumamgar Journeyman

Given that there's never a login queue any more, I see no reason for auto-AFK kicking any longer either.
  5. Dark_Intentions Augur

If you ever get booted for AFK, just close the game client and click "play" on your launcher. You don't have to re-enter your code. It is super easy.
  6. Jent Elder

The OP is right, it needs to go. But I will say more flies will be caught with honey than with vinegar. I don't think anyone predicted the massive influx of people at launch. Beating up DBG is not going to get it gone any faster. It was simply a bandaid and I think it's safe to pull it off now.
  7. Trazzlo Elder

I would prefer if they fixed the issue. I bypass the launcher except if there is a patch. The issue is the number of times it forces you to re-enter the password, since it tells you it can't log you back in. On top of that, it confuses itself if you run multiple accounts, and starts putting the character name data into the wrong INI files.

Or, they could just not kick us out for playing the game but not "actively enough", where "actively enough" is what people are when they use un-named and unmentioned 3rd party software. For them, there is no issue.

This "toss you out of the game so we can make permanent room for the users of 3rd party software" is a bit odd, but whatever floats their boat.
  8. Trazzlo Elder

They pulled it off several times now. So they claim. And yet it surprises Holly.

No, it's time for some industrial strength iodine.
    Jent likes this.
  9. Jent Elder

Haha, well fair enough.
  10. Dark_Intentions Augur

So the issue is when you log back in, and that process. The issue is not the booting you for AFK. I don't have a problem with the booting AFK, because my login process is simpler than what you try to do. I click cancel, then play, and I'm in.

Why do you need to stay logged in AFK?
  11. MamaBear Elder

Ahh I thought I was losing my mind! So they DID add a timer. Yuck. I hope it's removed soon!
    MBear likes this.
  12. Porygon Augur

And any logs you were keeping now have breaks in them. Keeping this in is pointless. It was only ever made to help with server capacity issues. Which we no longer have. End of story.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Found it especially annoying trying to raise bard instrument skills.
  14. Fosters New Member

As a bard, I do have an interest in staying in AFK.. practicing wind instruments would be one of em! haha.
  15. Dark_Intentions Augur

At least you are honest about it.
  16. Dark_Intentions Augur

People staying online AFK overly populate chat channels to their limits, and artificially inflate instances.
    Jadefox likes this.
  17. Porygon Augur

I don't think the inflation of most of the instances people afk in really matters.

And honestly, if you guys are really complaining about chat channels....I mean really?

And it's funny that I seem to be able to get into auction anytime I'm on....So I don't understand why this is even being talked about.

The reason the system was put in place had been alleviated. The second server, as well and month 1 attrition makes it no longer needed.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  18. Owndar Elder

Damn dude i had people AFK for 20+mins in my XP groups and not get kicked. What's the timer like 30mins. Your story sounds BS to me
  19. LJ_Addict New Member

Agreed. Remove this.
  20. TarewMarrForever Augur

I don't have this issue, what am I doing differently? I've kept my toon logged into CL main for 10+ *hours* while afk. Several times in fact. Just Monday in fact.

My understanding was the kick logic only ran when the server was at capacity. That is not the case?

If not then there is something different about CL main perhaps? I haven't tried in any other zones, now that I think about it...

Again, I haven't been kicked for inactivity since LJ went live, and I assumed it was because there have only been a queue a few times, and never while I was AFK.

They should not remove this code. They should just make it so that:

1) all zones work the same
    2) it only kicks people from the game when server is at acapacity
    3) even if server isn't at capacity, if they are AFK, it should still remove them from any global channels that are at capacity (/general, /auction, etc).

These changes should be on all EQ servers. Not just TLP.

The /general channel in mainline servers would benefit from this change as well.