POP locked server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by sirgijoe, May 30, 2015.

1. Demoncrusher Lorekeeper

The problem with this is that unless you capture 100% of the vote on one side of the poll, then Daybreak is always leaving some customers in the dark. I can vote to lock on PoP; but my doing so is essentially depriving other players (who want to progress) of the ability to play in the content that they want to play in. Which is exactly why we have the ongoing argument around the whole "6 months in Classic" item.

If you have a 55/45 response to unlocking past PoP, then that's STILL a high population that would prefer to remain in that content. If you switch those numbers around, and the server votes to stay in PoP, then you have the previous TLP experience, and lose subscriptions on the players who want to progress.

The TLPs are nice for progressing; but not so nice for targeted content delivery. If Daybreak can engineer a solution that would allow everyone to play in the era that they want, then there are no more arguments or infighting about what expansion everyone is being forced to play in - players can just choose to play on the Trilogy server, or the PoP server, or whatever other server they come up with.

And no matter what era they make the servers - they're almost guaranteed to have better subscription numbers than the live servers, especially if they offer one way character transfers from the lower era servers to the higher (IE, Trilogy -> PoP, but not vice versa obviously). Want to spend 2 years in Velious before you move up to the next era? Great! You are in control of your own progression.

Demoncrusher
  2. TarewMarrForever Augur

If you are going to stop anywhere, stop at Velious, or at the vey latest, Luclin.

Why? Because that's when I stopped playing. ;-)

Seriously though, Everquest as a game drastically changes what it is at it's core with PoP. To me, and I would think many others who have recently returned, it's just not nearly as much fun after that. I highly doubt I will still continue playing Ragefire past Luclin, perhaps not even past Velious. If Ragefire had been 3 months, I wouldn't have even bothered. The fun would have been over almost before it started, for me.

Over the past 16 years I did return to the mainline servers, many times, after leaving with PoP. I have played in about half of the expansions (but have only progressed significantly in a few). I never stayed for more than a year. The reason? It is just not as fun. Much of what I loved about the game simply goes away with PoP.

I would guess that a lot of the people that recently re-subbed probably feel the same way.
    Steampunk likes this.
  3. liveitup1216 Augur

So did the votes for faster Kunark / etc. Certainly doesn't stop those coming up a thousand times.
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I'm surprised to see so much GoD hate here. I always thought that was an excellent expansion. And I say that even though that expansion was the reason why I gave up my original main (enchanter) because they nerfed charm so heavily.

Fun fact - in the first week, enchanters could charm in all of the Ikkinz group trials 8)
  5. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I didn't like it based on how it was tuned at the time of launch. Of course, had I been geared with the best available at the time, I might have had an easier time of it, and enjoyed it. I never got around to going through it again. That said, I think this time around I will give it a good and honest try with an open mind, and hopefully with better gear and more AA's. It can't all be lumped on SOE, as I wasn't fully prepared for the expansion. I can admit that, and they admitted it wasn't tuned appropriately, and made adjustments.
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I'd love to be the person to encourage you to give it a good second try.

As I said, I gave up my enchanter in GoD because I felt the nerfs to the class were really uncalled for. I started a warrior and I've played as a warrior ever since. The really nice thing about GoD is that for the first time, you could play through group content and get some excellent high ac pieces that were really great for a starting tank as drops. Between that and LDoN, group warriors were in an excellent position.

I'll be interested to see if they keep the shortened lockouts on the LDoN missions. It makes for a much more fun time farming points to get your armor.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Yeah I am looking forward to all the content - eventually. I had really given up this game for good. If I didn't occasionally lurk and see what was going on, I wouldn't have heard about Ragefire until it was almost too late. I only came back to the game because of this. So long as I make the effort to keep up reasonably, I will be able to enjoy content that I ended up skipping past before.
  8. Rhoulicas Augur

This has been brought up one million times, I even created a ...... on change.org for one. They included it in their vote for what the new "progression" server will be. It lost. This doesn't mean that they won't consider opening one in the future. Have it as you will though, let's keep discussing it. It's a popular concept.
  9. Rhoulicas Augur

That's because they lose all the people that they get to feel superior to.
  10. Bumpkin Augur

Want a server that locks at PoP? Vote NO when the time comes to open the GoD unlock. Easy stuff folks.
  11. Kopuz Journeyman

PoP did ruin EQ. It was an absolute perfect expansion and nothing would ever compare to it. Thus it was the end of day for EQ.
    Rhoulicas likes this.
  12. Batbener Augur

What's the point of locking it at PoP for Daybreak? So you might play for 2 months after the 6 months until GoD, and then all the people that were going to play after quit right now. The few people I have grouped with(because I am a filthy boxer) all came back to the game from years past(most quit at PoP) and are actually excited about seeing content they didn't see before.
  13. Elkay Augur

Those charm pets were beast mode!
  14. patius New Member

I would pay for POP locked server