Why the angst against a 2nd server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brulia, May 22, 2015.

1. Brulia Elder

Seems like DB is dead set against it. Which I don't get. Why not launch with Ragefire / Ragefire 2 -- then merge if need be in a couple months? Seems like they are frustrating enough people that could have filled a 2nd server.

I wonder if it's a staffing issue at this point?
  2. MBear Augur

Or hardware, maybe. Unless they reclaim some other server, where are they going to get the hardware?
  3. Vlerg Augur

Apparently because merging server is a bigger headache than waiting queues for the first week or so of ragefire ( just look at the 2nd page...how many people scared of not saving their name...)

Then you have people who don't want a merger ( either to not face the competitive atmosphere of both server together... because they like low-population servers or watheverelse).

And, of course, server merges are a bad publicity.
  4. Unique_Moop Augur

probably because sklug works for eqnext now :cool:
  5. Progress Augur

The hardware store.
  6. Brulia Elder

I bet the Trak server could be merged and used w/o many people even noticing.
  7. Stewgottz Augur

Because many fear a vulak 2.0 scenario, however avoidable it may be. Merge before pop or at pop or whatever and problem solved. The technology exists.
  8. Jaxarale01 Augur

Or they could of been given very hard guidelines like:
    We will let you do another TLP but it can only be one server and you have to run it with no GMs in game.

With the idiocy of the decisions pre and post launch this the only reason I could come up with. No one could be that dumb to think this was actually going to work, could they?
  9. Gwaine Journeyman

I would be very concerned that the population would be so low on the second server that it would cause the server to not be functional in 6 months.
  10. Brulia Elder

Merging data isn't rocket science. To me it looks like they had plenty of people to really populate 2 servers.
  11. moogs Augur

SOE said they went to VMs several years ago.
  12. Numiko Augur

This is 2015, no one owns their own servers anymore, they just rent them from the local sever farm...

[IMG]
  13. Bumamgar Journeyman

Because everyone with any sense understands that the server load issues are temporary, and thus it doesn't make any sense to invest resources in launching a second server which will ultimately be a ghost town. A few days from now after the launch excitement wears off, there won't be any issue logging in to Ragefire.

The cool heads at Daybreak understand this, regardless of what an extremely minor percentage of players (the forum alarmists) say to the contrary.
    urinezombie likes this.
  14. Amoeba Augur

Second server would require additional hardware and maintenance. Additionally, merging them would require further effort as well with extended down times to integrate the databases. Not to mention issues with names... as it is already apparent on these forums that half of you would straight up murder someone to keep a name. Imagine losing it because someone had it on the other Ragefire server!

Most importantly, would be cost. The cost of a new server, maintenance, set-up, power, cooling, etc. to simply ease the first week is inefficient.

Having a log-in queue would be the best option, which I am unsure why it is not implemented as this mad rush for logging in is not new (Fippy had the same). However, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Would honestly rather have them ensure the server is stable and proper rather than worry about a queue for the first week.
  15. Brulia Elder

That's when you merge. They should have started with 2 server b/c guilds would have split themselves out some by themselves. Now it's one giant cluster, with a band aid approach.

I am not quitting or trying to whine but being realistic. I don't think asking to log into the server you signed up for and paid for is to much to ask.
  16. Stewgottz Augur

They def have enough for two servers.... at this moment.
  17. Brulia Elder

Not really. Trust me when I say there are lots of DB's out there that have to do far more complex things than that. Any DB in the healthcare field can speak to that.
  18. Stewgottz Augur

I would be more concerned with subs never getting an opportunity to try Ragefire at all vs the EQ lifers like myself who dont mind waiting till prolly tomorrow am. A second server gives the returning player a shot to try a populated server.
  19. chinchey Journeyman

For what it's worth...

I logged onto Vulak a bit earlier and did a search.
    /who all Ranger - one (me)
    /who all 50 70 - none ... that's weird.
    So...
    /who all - 9 players total in the world... 3 level 81s in Dragonscale, and the rest just spattered around.
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Jaxarale01 Augur

I hear they have a deserted server they could wipe and have online in less than 30 mins... its called Vulak...