Open a second server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Greggorr, May 21, 2015.

1. Greggorr New Member

Here's the problem you guys are facing. The desirability to play this server is steadily going downhill because people are having to fight literally for hours to get on. These are paying customers who are not getting the product that they paid for. I understand your thinking process... Opening a new server costs money and the numbers steadily decline after a month or two. So why not recycle a server? Take your two lowest population servers, merge them, and use the unused server to support another progression server? That, imo, would be a win win situation. It solves the problem of low population on two servers and gives you an extra server make your progression customers happy. Then, when the numbers decline, all you have to do is merge the servers and you have an extra server to do whatever you want with. Yes, it will cost a little money up front to get everything set up, but in the long run I believe this will save more customers than you will lose if you don't do something.

The progression server is really your only cash cow right now, and with how disastrous this opening is going, you are going to steadily lose people, not just for now, but for the future as well. If you can open a second one with an exact copy of Ragefire, you should be good to go. While I would suggest giving people a free transfer between the progression servers, if you do not, in due time the numbers on each server will balance themselves out as people get tired of battling to log in.

This opening has lost the faith of a good portion of your playerbase, and I only seek to help you restore it. I know the past 30 hours has been an exhausting battle, but I think this issue needs to be resolved quick before too many players have too much time invested into their characters on this server.

Thank you Daybreak for hearing your customers out, which is more than we can say for SoE. I only hope you guys choose to heed our advice!
    Hendar2 likes this.
  2. Dredlox Elder

If they are even considering it, the longer they wait the worse it will be. Just like vulak, funny how we can learn from history....if they aren't considering it, then well, hope they don't lose too many people.
  3. Greggorr New Member

Imo, based on the last prog server opening, they should have had one on standby and ready to go. But I understand, new company, new management, some new people. With my solution, they should be able to get one up and running quickly, and more importantly, cheaply.
  4. Jaxarale01 Augur

Ahh bs... just wipe Vulac, change its name to Lockjaw and open it... takes all of 34 mins.

Zzzzz
    Xanadas likes this.
  5. Hotix Lorekeeper

Let's see what holly decides when she wakes up. If it's not to ooen another server then I'm personally Gonna move on. The server after instancing is gonna be atrocious and not worth the headache.
  6. MaestroM Augur

No instancing. Whatever.

I was just glad I got my names reserved.

Then the server got wiped.

Then I reserved them again

Then the server got wiped again.

Tried to log on for about 3 hours last night before I finally gave up and went to bed after being taunted by a member of the staff.

Now all of the names I wanted are taken. My account is canceled. I won't be logging in.

I really don't see how DBG could have this up worse.
    Frenzic likes this.
  7. Hendar2 Augur

They are either inexperienced in customer service, seriously clueless, or don't give a rip. In none of these cases should they be interacting with customers. I'm not saying they should be fired, just placed in a position where they can be successful.

Hint for Holly: The only way the problem will work itself out is if you consider the paying subscribers to be the problem. In that case, yes they will leave. And you will have failed at being an Executive Producer. If you believe (like most of us) that lack of capacity is the problem... well I doubt that a new machine suddenly sprung up overnight in the machine room without any effort by DBG. But go ahead and check, you know how these things solve themselves.
  8. yellowzombie Elder

You guys are giving up over some character names and technical difficulties-- it just makes it easier for all of us to login. If they had waited a month after the Fippy launch, the population would have stabilized with the number of people quitting because they forget about X, Y, or Z reason they don't want to play EQ again after a 10 year hiatus. Vulak was a huge drain and is a blemish on that whole period to this day. Don't fragment the population again. It'll work out once the chaff is gone.

I do however strongly favor instancing zones up to a much higher level to accomodate the player-to-mob ratio in many of the zones.
  9. Evernoob New Member

Maestrom, I feel your pain.

All names that I like to play in a mmo is taken too. I cant login -server full???- another 2 accounts here cancelled, mine and my wife.

After 2 days of waiting, helping to test, creating tons of characters to help to isolate the bug, we cant enter the server... full... man, yesterday I was so pissed... this is the worst company in history.
  10. Liquid741 New Member

Worst ever?! You clearly never played Matrix Online...talk about a dumpster fire!
  11. MaestroM Augur

I'm not worried about not being able to log in. I wasn't able to play last night even if I could have logged in. One server with a 4000 player cap with no queue is just another example of the myopia problem at Day Break.

The names thing and the taunts from the staff were just the last straw in a long long long line of DBG missing a great opportunity here. If it were just the names thing it would be no big deal. I've actually never played a character with the names I was reserving. It was a combination of the names, the revamped zones, the dozens of game breaking bugs that will be revealed in the coming weeks (if you think the insta-50 bug was the only problem this server will have I've got a bridge to sell you), the lack of implementation of anything that would make the raid scene less toxic, the list goes on.

All of these are symptoms of a myopic development team. Maybe they have better data than I do, but I know for sure that I wouldn't have canceled my account if they'd budged even a little on some of the things i've discussed in the past few months on this forum. They see the flow of accounts away as a natural event in everquest, and it is. But at least part of that flow away is due to decisions that they made regarding the direction of the game and is therefore not "natural" but something that they have control over.

They could have made some real substantive changes to the game to make it the way it should have been back in 1999 and they chose not to. In spite of that, I've been literally looking for any reason at all to play this game. They managed to take away one of the last few reasons I had to play this server with the two wipes that took away the names I wanted combined with the lock that prevented me from being able to reserve them.

So I'm not playing. I hope you guys have fun though.
  12. Lemuelbaruch Elder

Im amazed at how sensitive you are to the devs comment. It wasnt meant as a taunt. Maybe people just seriously need to chill out. And there are quite a few things that are not able to be changed back to the way it was in '99, such as some of the revamped zones. But yea alot of us will still have fun :D
  13. Hateseeker Augur

The idea of not instancing any upper level content for what is undoubtedly an extreme minority of people who will be playing that have never experienced it, and sticking to their guns about what the "team feels strongly" about, despite how strongly the community feels, it just doesn't make sense, considering how many players we have to support here.

BTW, as far as names being taken away, I had some pretty unique names I had chosen that were blocked on the third try, I wonder if some names are blocked by having been created pre-wipe, and not because someone else actually got them on the final release?
  14. Vasil Journeyman

I spent 2 hours not being able to log in before i went to bed. We need a second server. If this is how it's going to be i'm doing a charge back on my CC
    Xanadas likes this.
  15. Svaboda New Member

Some of us came back because of the rules of this server. I have played eq since beta and quit post PoP. I have resubbed and now I may be back to shelving it why, because you have to sit punching the the play everquest key for an hour before you can log in. I am not dissing the issues that have occurred that happens I work in IT and we deal with it all the time. But the shortsightedness of the server capacity come on guys