[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] Legal?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Thorak, May 21, 2015.

1. Ashenor Lorekeeper

I boxed 2 from day one of 99, and was doing 3 prekunark.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Ziggy Augur

They have said Key Replication is ok (Piestro, 2012) but no one uses key replication in [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] any more, in fact the set up demo etc tells you to turn it off and only use it when you are doing a task that requires it.
  3. Tamier Augur

The program itself doesn't automatically mean its illegal, its how you choose to use it, and there are ways you can choose to use it that makes it illegal. Sony doesn't have a detection system that i'm aware of to catch the 3rd party programs. Most people who have been banned, have been banned because they admitted using the program to other people who reported them, or on forums where dev's could see it.
  4. Diemond Augur

I use the standard version of it, and have announced many many times over the years on forums and in game with GMs on that I do use it.
  5. deathdodge Journeyman

not really, at least in the cases of mercs you could set up afk with a group in a hole where the gargs spawn and just have the mercs kill them for hours on autopilot racking up AAs.
  6. Goodnews Augur

I've run across pet classes using automation to tab target and send pet in. I actually asked one player bluntly and he said he was able to do it with a programmable logitech keyboard.
  7. MBear Augur

So if, like in Beta, there are 6 mages and 5 of them are grouped in autofollow on the 1 and whenever the 1 sends his pet, the other 5 do at the same time, then he shoots a fire bolt at the mob and all 5 of the others shoot a bolt. Then he sits down and the 5 sit down.

Sounds like we are sort of split on if this is legal. There is somebody at the helm so it isn't like AFK automated, but there isn't anybody actually running those characters in the traditional sense.

I'm not making judgements in this particular thread, just trying to make sure I understand the different positions people take an these rules.
  8. Lilrod Journeyman

anyone claiming to use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is more then likely using really
  9. Goodnews Augur

In the personal experience I was relaying, the guy just had 1 character. He was afk (he told me) and said he setup a tab target -> send in pet. I don't fully understand how indepth this was. I watched for some time. The pet would go a good ways away from him, 1 or 2 shot the mobs and then run off to another mob. This whole time the player just stayed collapsed as a pile of skeleton bones.

Several times his pet would run up to what I had just pulled, attacked and done damage to and 1shot it, stealing the kill before running off to kill another mob. At no point did the player ever stop to loot anything. No cool in my book.
  10. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

I box and don't box depending on what's going on. I, personally, have more fun playing a single toon.

But people did box in 99. I regularly grouped with a guy that did.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That's NOT [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], that's . The anti boxing crowd here likes to make them look like the same thing but they're completely different. One lets you walk away from the computer for the entire day if you wish and everything would be done for you. The other does not.

Customer service has replied quite a few times that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is fine, as you're at the computer hitting the keys to do things. is not fine because it *AUTOMATES* your game play.
  12. Tudadar Augur

I hope they ban anything related to . Until devs come out and say plain [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is illegal you cant really say its illegal.
  13. Goodnews Augur

I following the flow of discussion. Calm down. I never said it was any kind of third-party software, let alone a boxed account... I was talking about a single character. One. Not two or more. No-boxie.

As far as saying "customer says its fine, is not fine...", that all boils down to policy. Policies can change. All the time. What might prompt a policy to change? Overwhelming opinion can sometimes influence it. Its up to the company in the end.
  14. Adaman New Member

I've been a two-boxer since '03. But I've never used anything as assistance. Never tried to do any more because I can't see paying for 3-6 accounts every month.
  15. Zycor New Member

YOU ARE ANNOYING.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Read what I said again. Customer *SERVICE* said it's fine. Overwhelming opinion? It's the same anti boxing twits that post the same thing over and over again. If that influences policy that the game is in pretty sad shape.
  17. Tamier Augur

Old school gamers (for the majority) do not like boxing. New school gamers (for the majority) seem to approve of it. Its a difference of opinion. No one is right or wrong, and all are entitled to their opinion. When you are speaking of one of the oldest mmo's that exists, its common sense to find alot of old school gamers on it, who for the majority, don't care for it to varying degrees.
  18. Goodnews Augur

I read what you said. Customer service said its ok. I get it. Are you giving me the same courtesy?
    Whether it is fine or not is based on the company's policy about said "it". A company's CS dept. will refer to said policy to follow. Said policies can change. Are you tracking me with so far? Lets continue...
    How are policies made? How can/do they change? What can be the motivating factors of that change?
    Well, one motivating factor is overwhelming opinion. Still with me?
    So, if enough uproar is made over these kinds of programs that are *FINE* as of 5/21/2015, they may not be fine as of 5/22/2015. Is that more clear?
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Have you asked them all? Or are you pulling those stats out of you know where?
  20. Templeton Augur

Agreed.

Anyone claiming that it's sane to allow boxers in a packed pre expansion server clearly isn't thinking beyond themselves and being blinded by their short term greed.

Boxing should be banned until at least SoV.

But then DBG wouldn't sell those extra monthly accounts I guess... Greed before game.