An Absolute Disgrace

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tank, May 21, 2015.

1. Ultrazen Augur

Did you beta test? I did, I rolled every combination of class and race, this wasn't happening.

I worked in QA for a major game publisher, and I can tell you a couple of things.\

1. Regardless of how big your QA staff is, the initial release of people onto a live game will have more eyes/hours on your game in the first hour, than your entire QA was able to do. This means that you are very likely to find problems /bugs fairly quickly once you go live. This is offset somewhat by open betas, but once again you're dealing with a lack of numbers in most cases.

2. A game with 20 year old code, 21 expansion, god knows how many patches, updates, fixes, changes. The absolute nightmare that it must be to go back into that code and try and shuffle things around...you couldn't pay me enough to do it. I'm not sure you understand what's involved.

It's understandable people are frustrated, when they planned their free time around this opening. It's a bug....sometimes bugs get by you. There is nothing they can do but try to get it resolved. You're dealing with human beings that are under pressure, not robots that magically fix things because you throw a paycheck at them.
    chinchey, Katmandu26 and Lord Binky like this.
  2. NeyphliteTZ New Member

LOL @ the people that took time off work to start on Ragefire and are crying about it being a waste..re-evaluate your life please
    chinchey and Lord Binky like this.
  3. Vasil Journeyman

I'm not the one making them look bad.
  4. Vasil Journeyman

yes I beta tested by leveling 2 6 box teams and a solo toon through noobie zones every other night of beta
  5. Pieboy New Member

Seriously? Have you ever worked a day of real IT in your life? I can say without hesitation that money absolutely does not fix this type of issue. There simply isn't enough skilled staff to go around. Daybreak is hiring. My company is hiring. Every company that requires skilled programmers is hiring. You can throw money at it all you want, but It won't matter because you can't just go out and hire people off the street.
    Lord Binky and Katmandu26 like this.
  6. Osco Journeyman

Funny! Glad you feel better.
  7. Tank Journeyman

wow just wow when I thought I was over the whole DBG thing I have spent several hours trying to get into EQ and nothing, no response, no team, just a lucky few hogging the server which I will not blame but I will blame the lack of systems put in place by DBG.

I was right the first time this is an absolute disgrace.
  8. Alandros Elder

Umm... this is their first time doing a TLP server with this specific configuration, ruleset, and process... so, yeah. Considering it took them one extra day, I'd say they are doing pretty good.

People can be the absolute best at doing one thing in the world and still make mistakes. It's called life. It doesn't make you a fanboy to realize that and accept it. It's also obvious (purely based on the high levels of communications) that they've been working very hard to resolve the issue, so yeah thanking them for taking a serious problem seriously isn't necessarily a bad thing. You know you can pay for a service *and* still thank someone for it? Or do you never say thank you to a waiter/waitress... Say when they bring out the wrong order, then correct it (while being polite and interactive in the fully good way they should be when resolving an issue), do you also not say thank you then? Do you call anyone who does a fanboy also?

Yes it's unfortunate and yes they should try and avoid a similar issue in the future... but the plain reality is when you are doing a complex thing (and having worked with game technology, including servers, for over a decade I can definitely say it's a complex thing) problems will simply occur, just a reality. All you can do is do your best to resolve it and keep that in mind for the future.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all. They encountered a problem and constantly adapted their strategy to the evolving understanding of that problem. That is what you call good leadership. Do you not ever encounter a problem that causes you to change your strategy as you go? Say you're heading home on the freeway, it backs up, you get off on surface streets, go a few blocks and run into worse back up then figure the freeway is the lesser of two evils so go their. They tried to avoid a game wipe while they were fully identifying the problem, then they did it when they had. That's called good development practices. To *not* jump straight to something drastic until you fully understand it. They brought servers up and down for testing, how else would you expect them to test a server lol... Again your criticism really doesn't make sense.

It's unfortunate your plans were screwed up, as many others were. They have taken responsibility for the problem and tried to remedy it as best as possible, this is far from the first MMO feature (treating it like a feature since it's already a running game) launch to have an issue, other MMOs *still* have it. Heck most other products still have it. Pretty much every OS launch for Mac and Windows have launch issues, some of them major. Hardware too, the antenna issue on the earlier iPhones as well as various other iPhone and Android issues, and they all havd a massive amount more resources than the EQ team.

So the rest of us are treating it like any other product that launches, or offers a new feature, with issues...