Progression beta downtime

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Alexanders, May 8, 2015.

1. Diemond Augur

Yeah anyone in game can easily create a post about it, but we pay them to play the game not make their announcements.
  2. Mardy Augur

The beta server is free, nobody's paying anything. Just saying, if you truly want to help out as a good beta tester, next time you see the announcement ingame about downtime, just post it to let other fellow beta testers know. It's that simple and it would've alleviated a lot of confusion and questions.
  3. Diemond Augur

It's free for the free access people, i'm not one of those nor would I ever be since I actually believe in supporting a game I want to play but that is a different argument. It just shows laziness that someone from DB couldn't take a few seconds to create a post saying server down for maintenance, upgrades etc, downtime unknown or xx hours. Communication between the company and their customers is an important factor in any business.
  4. Diemond Augur

I don't know about the rest of you but when I try to log in it shows.

Standard Servers: Beta Status: UP

Even there it's not telling you that the server is down which is what will lead many to think there is something wrong on their side.
  5. Crystilla Augur

As already stated ... for beta servers, they go down every morning. They're not posting every morning. This is a well known fact (that they go down every morning just about).
  6. Diemond Augur

I don't care that they go down i've played Betas and Alphas and know how frequently and unexpectedly servers can and will be taken down, all I want is at least a rough estimate of a downtime which can be done and is done usually. Even if it's to just say downtime unknown at least it is something from them.
  7. Behee Augur

Can you please stop posting? Lots of people have told you the server is down, yet you absolutely need a developer to tell you that?

Get over it. It's a beta test server. It doesn't need a formal notification each time the server is up or down.
  8. Diemond Augur

I didn't need anyone to tell me it was down, I was in game and got the warnings it was coming down. So go back and try reading the posts this time.
  9. Bandok Augur

It's not really well-known among the progression community, based on all the posts. I didn't know, but wasn't surprised either. And plenty of people may have just seen the "Ragefire Beta is UP" announcement(s) this morning and wanted to jump in.

But it really is a bit crazy for folks to expect them to post daily "beta's coming down, it'll be back up and accessible as soon as possible later" if it is a daily thing anyway. What would've been nice is a comment on the initial "It's up!" post saying "Since many of you may have no experience with the Beta server, please be aware that it undergoes daily and random downtimes that will not be announced. We'll be fixing things when we can, and that's going to require downtime."
    Korveinous likes this.
  10. Rynda New Member

"I don't care that they go down i've played Betas and Alphas and know how frequently and unexpectedly servers can and will be taken down, all I want is at least a rough estimate of a downtime which can be done and is done usually. Even if it's to just say downtime unknown at least it is something from them."

Sheesh

Aren't we entitled? You are truly a special snowflake.

Its people like you who ruin life for the rest of us. Just .
    IronGreen and Behee like this.
  11. Dandy Augur

If you have access to Landmark, they just brought their servers back up after a massive patch. The world has been wiped and brand new islands are now available. Lava & deciduous biomes, brand new caves and a bunch of other changes are in.
    Behee likes this.
  12. PeppeLePeu Elder

considering you can just put Beta going down unknown downtime thank you for helping into notepad and just copy paste on to the forums or twitter in about 2 seconds its really not asking that much...
  13. Diemond Augur

Yeah I won't be going back to landmark, got bored of it after the first week of beta.
  14. Crystilla Augur

It is crazy to expect this. That's what those of us who are evidently much more familiar with beta procedures and have the experience are trying to tell folks.

This is common, expect it around the same time every week day. Usually it will be for around the same amount of time but it will depend how many and what types of changes were needed to be made.

We didn't get daily posts when we had double or triple the dev staff that we have now; it will be unreasonable to expect daily posts now.
    Behee likes this.
  15. Diemond Augur

I just hope you guys that are defending not making any kind of announcement whatsoever, ever try to run a business.
  16. Behee Augur

Exactly. They assume the players will find and tell each other too. It's simply no big deal. Let them do their thing, go play when the server is up.
  17. Rynda New Member

Been in business (and its a service business with actual real paying clients) for 30 years. Paid off all the student loans for my kids and they have graduated college and are own their own. They owe no debt. That means I win the life game. So I know a little bit about how to run a GD business.

You are a self entitled jerk of a customer that is the exception to the rule of "the customer is always right"

Once again, Mr. Snowflake,
  18. Diemond Augur

Then you know bad communication between business and customer, hurts your business.
  19. Behee Augur

Get over it. This is 16 years of test server standard procedure. For a live server, I agree with you. For a FREE beta server ... you simply are wildly off base. Read other peoples posts that indicate if the server is up or down.
  20. PeppeLePeu Elder

This isn't the 90s anymore, or even the early 2000's. Business has become about communicating with your customer base about the whats going on. Closed beta, alpha whatever are fine because its the nature of it being closed. But the moment you switch to open beta and beyond communication is required.

And that includes more then just gaming. Gaming is by far the most prevalent in recent years with the advent of twitter but its true for any business. Even in my business as a mortgage broker if I don't post daily rates updates to my business and twitter feed, update my customers as things change, and keep my real estate agents constantly in the loop I would fail.

Back in the day communication was meh as we just didn't have access to the easy technology to do so easily and quickly. But today? it takes maybe a minute to write a beta going down message. another 10 seconds to send it to PR to get checked for compliance and then just copy paste it into notepad and throw it on twitter in the few seconds it takes to pull up the website.

Hell you can even automate a lot of that with things like hearsay social where you just push one button with a pre-fabricated message and it shoots out to all of your social media outlets...
    Xanadas likes this.