p99 agreement and its impact on a locked server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. EradzEQ Elder

I think the main issue with boxing is that most ppl who played back in the day are now older, have families and other responsibilities. In order to play now with limited time, people cant sit lfg for 2 hours., People would have to fire up another account to maybe duo til a spot in a group opens or sit lfg wasting the few hours that you do get a chance to play.
  2. liveitup1216 Augur

With a population like P99 I'm rarely LFG for more than 20-30 minutes (as a wizard, mind you). It requires you to be proactive and send tells to people in zones you're aiming to group in, or being part of a largeish leveling guild.

Plus you can always make a class that can solo well such as druid, necro, etc if you're really set on needing to be able to play alone.

EQ1 was an MMORPG, and MMORPG's require other people in order to advance. Not many people are used to that anymore. It's not wrong, but it does mean you may be playing the wrong game.
  3. EradzEQ Elder

So I should limit the classes that I can play due to not wanting to be lfg? Ill jump right on that!
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  4. Invictvs Augur

The fact that P99 mods are on here doing customer support is hysterical.
    riverbender and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  5. liveitup1216 Augur

I mean if your goal is to play for example a fighter with no magical properties then... yes. It's safe to assume you won't be able to do much alone. I mean, it's in the class description. I don't understand what the problem is.
  6. Hateseeker Augur

What are more modern MMORPGs doing with regard to boxing?

Or is it even a concern? I imagine if they give you mercs/companions/etc it doesn't even matter; and there's also the tendency to allow every class to solo/heal/etc.

Is it even possible to do it on more modern games with modern graphics? Landmark (though not an MMORPG, it's the same engine EQN would use) could melt your computer if you could open it twice.
  7. Numiko Augur

I got my client off my Titanium disks. the DLL file my anti virus screams about it off the installer software from the P99 web site.
    code-zero and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  8. liveitup1216 Augur

What do ya mean? People in EQ box to have more power to solo content. Modern games just make every single class super powerful so they can just solo everything by default. I guess you could box in a more modern MMO to be even more stupidly overpowered and play alone online but... what is even the point.
  9. Invictvs Augur

You do realize you are one of maybe 2 people on here defending your "anti-boxing" crusade right?
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  10. EradzEQ Elder

There are a few reasons to box.

1 - Dont want to sit lfg til a group is found
    2 - EQ is actually a very very easy game so boxing adds another element of challenge. Its harder to box manually in a game like WoW that is more fast paced. We all know EQ is not fast paced lol.
    3 - You want to be stupid OP numnumz up all the camps to be greedy.

It has pros and cons like everything. It can be used for good and bad. Since there is no sub on p99, then I can see why they limit boxing. Honestly, I like p99 and I do play on it but I still like to do legit servers with boxing.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  11. EradzEQ Elder

If you are getting them from the p99 site, they are clean. Their goal is not to backdoor your comp or steal your CC info!
    Numiko likes this.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

The reason I ask if because if more modern games don't allow it from a technical standpoint (i.e. it's not against any rules but it's technically unfeasible due to gameplay requiring personal attention to each character, etc), players won't see it as infringing on their rights, even as it's not possible to do.
  13. EradzEQ Elder

Without something like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], I think it would be hard as hell to box a game like WoW. I think its just to fast paced to do manually.
  14. Redik2 Augur

I'm excited to see what the future holds. Anything that has the ability to provide more options to people who want to play EverQuest is fantastic in my book.

I have never had any negative interactions with the staff at p99; and even if 90% of what has been negatively said against them is false... EverQuest in it's classic form is a huge time dedication and having the people in charge also being the ones that make the financial decisions for the server is a huge conflict of interest. It is in any company.

With that being said I am seeing an effort to be more "customer friendly" by the p99 guys and I think that is a step in the right direction to gaining the trust of some people (on these forums especially) who think the p99 servers are red light district of EQ.

All of the horror stories are not true.. I have a mid-level causal scrub character on the blue server and I have yet to have a bad interaction with anybody on the server. However, I'm not in the raid / competitive scene nor am I on the red (pvp) server.. and when I visit the forums that's where most of the crap is located.

I replied to a reddit post asking if there would be some level of moderation / professionalism on the p99 forums following their new status and this was Rogeans reply.

[–]Entelion 2 points 17 hours ago

Does that mean the toxic nature of the p99 forums are going to have some level of moderation or are you going to continue to let adults devolve into children hiding behind their keyboards?

[–]Rogean 12 points 17 hours ago

Hey Entelion, We're working on some updated Forum rules to rectify this and you will start seeing some more moderation from us on the Project 1999 forums. Keep in mind though that we are all working as volunteers, and a lot can be missed. Thanks!

I can respect that. I get people need a place to vent when they are frustrated and that there will always be snarky / witty / hilarious replies to some of the stuff posted; but a lot of it is just trash / hate speak and that's not cool.

I think all around everybody is going to win. Sure there will be some tinfoil hat wearing people crying about this, that, and the other thing.. but whatever. There are people who win the Powerball and complain about the taxes. You can't satisfy everybody.

(edit: terrible copy/paste format from Reddit)
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  15. Jaxarale01 Augur

I no longer consider WoW modern but to answer your question as it relates to that game. Nothing is done because you do not need to box... all leveling content is 3 shotable if not less... if you have a mini named at the end of a quest line you have a game generated tank or healer that is tied into the quest line and goes with you. There simply is no chance to die solo. Once at max level if you find a named you just blow your 10 cds and it falls over dead... then theres instances and lfg tool... there simply is no need to multi box at all unless you want to for some odd reason.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

Hmm...Are there any non-combat reasons to box in other games besides EQ? WoW, in your case. I mean, even if things are different in Live now, historically you'd want boxed alts for bank space, trader, etc.
  17. Merry Elder

If their stuff is fine, they should send a sample to the major antivirus companies and have it whitelisted.
    We do that with our own devloped Software at work regulary and it's really not to much effort and would also underline that there is nothing "bad" within their added files.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  18. Jaxarale01 Augur

As it pertains to WoW:
    You can buy extra bank space on your main character with in game gold, if that is not enough they have what is called "void storage" that triples your already huge bank but costs a small amount of gold to take things out of each time.
    If that is not enough you can ooc paying 5 gold for guild sigs and start a guild on a alt that has 100s of slots in its bank.

Traders: there is a auction house where you go and put your item up for sale and it stays 12/24 etc hours while you just go do whatever you want. Someone buys it and the gold is sent to your mail box. You pick it up whenever your near a mail box.
  19. Numiko Augur

Oh I should say I do not think there *is* a virus, just that I cant seem to get passed it and do not wish to disable my anti virus just to play. the DLL i have trouble with is Dsetup.dll

If anyone has a fix I would love to try the server.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  20. EradzEQ Elder

What AV are you running? I guess this really isnt the place for troubleshooting p99 stuff... lol