so instead of content we get this??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by autofire, Mar 26, 2015.

1. autofire Journeyman

I haven't seen any big threads asking for more looting "options" since anti beam/swarm nerfs (people did use to ask for loot all options).
    Why did you waste your vary limited resources on the ALS?

What i do see Huge posts on is the lack of content from the half a xpac we got.(T1 raids would have been a better use of dev time the loot for which was on beta)
    with small # of zones and raid we got there's not a whole lot too loot with the ALS
    Imrahil likes this.
  2. Kellaer Augur

Coding projects like ALS are not mutually exclusive with new content, which is what the developers do.
  3. autofire Journeyman

whatever they paid the person who made this couldve been paid to someone else to make content.
  4. Slasher Augur

The person who made this was already getting paid they just put this at the top of his list. Also I could argue this was 90% done by coding probably zero dev time required at all so not doing this would not of equaled more raids.
    Lisandra and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  5. autofire Journeyman

its all still resource allocation if DBG sets aside x for a budget maybe put less into code vs dev time.
  6. Slasher Augur

Except that aint how it works the same people who fix bugs and give us the monthly update are the ones doing the expansion all they do is put expansion features at the top of the list of stuff they have to do. What do you think these guys are paid hourly ? They're getting paid no matter what they're having them do not having this loot system would not of equaled more content.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Kellaer Augur

Wowwwwwwwwwww
  8. Fendy Augur

If I'm not mistaken the ALS was announced at last year's Live! and many players have been looking forward to it in the many months since then.
    code-zero and Dramatime like this.
  9. Iila Augur

Yep.

AE looting, and a better raid loot system have been on player wishlists for years. I know I saw posts asking for AE looting even after ALS was announced.
  10. Bamboompow Augur

Took it out for a good test drive in Underground City in Shards Landing. Had one character that needs TS items and another that needs Fragments. Everyone got what they wanted with ease after some fine tuning. The thing with this system is you will need to talk to your group members and address their needs. If you usually do master looting than this is a no-brainer. If a rogue wants poison stuff than the rogue can get poison stuff automatically once enough examples of it drop and the rogue sets their window to always need those items while everyone else sets it to never wanting it. Yes there is a roll but if everyone else checks NO than the rogue is the only one rolling and they win. Treat it like what it is: a filter but the filter has to learn/be told what it is filtering. In time, once all the filters are learned, this system could be quite brilliant.

Its not perfect and it will take time to work itself in but once you have it figured out it makes looting in a group fairly easy, especially if you have a huge pile of carcasses to sift through. This is like anything "new" or "change". Its going to take time to get used to. Heck I would rather have this than time be spent on stupid nurfs.
    moogs, Dramatime and Meatball like this.
  11. Siddar Augur

ALS is being built for other games were just doing the Beta testing for it.
  12. Apathy Elder

I felt the same way at first, but Ive actually started enjoying the new loot system. I think its great actually. If u box, then u have to love this new system. :)
  13. Derd Augur

So you actually think they made a system that works for the 16 year old eq coding, a miracle in itself I believe, as a test kitchen for all the new games, that's written without all the incredibly old code and game engine?
    Saroc_Luclin, Tarvas and Iila like this.
  14. Lottascatta Journeyman

I wish I had a dollar for every time Elidroth said I can't do X because there is no coding time available.
  15. Fendy Augur

For the next twitch-cast instead of letting us watch dev's play the game how about letting us watch them bang out code for an hour. :)
  16. Silv Augur

Did you miss the the first twitch transition stream where they said no content-type was exclusive - dev, coder, whatever... they are all one-in-the-same now according to them.
  17. Kellaer Augur

I did miss that. I suppose it does make sense. I don't think we need to use that as a rallying call for dismissing features like ALS so we can have more content. How much content would ALS equal? Who knows.
  18. Slasher Augur

lol why would they code a new loot system in a game as old as EQ for us to test ? when any new game they make will use Forge Light Engine which is easily 1 million times better compared to what EQ uses.
  19. Ultrazen Augur

And I think it's one of the best things they've ever added to the game, so there you go. It was a problem that needed to be fixed, looting sucked, especially with lore items and mobs that were difficult to target without macro shenanigans.
  20. Nolrog Augur

IIRC, they weren't specifically referring to coding versus development, but rather that there would not be an item guy or a tradeskill guy that the existing devs would all work on multiple development pieces and not that Elidroth or Prathun would start doing coding as well.