Hotkey Expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tmon, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Tmon Journeyman

I realize this has been asked before, but I thought I would ask again. When hotkeys came out years ago, we did not have nearly the AAs and spells (slots) we have today. Back then, a 5-line hotkey worked fairly well, especially since we could combine a /delay on the same hotkey command line. Today we have a massive amount of AAs and quite a few more spell slots, however, there has been no expansion of our hotkeys.

I humbly ask the development team to please increase our hotkeys from 5 to 10 lines. I know some folks want other stuff like being able to link hotkeys together (e.g., putting a command in the last hotkey line to then execute another hotkey, etc.), but I am not asking for that. I think a basic expansion of hotkey “lines” from 5 to 10 would be sufficient and is in line with the growth of the game.
    Mezothema, Axxius, Machen and 4 others like this.
  2. Warpeace Augur

This would be a great improvement.

Is there also a way the Social hot buttons could be made swappable so it would be easier to rearrange them now and then without having to delete and remake?
    Lisandra likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

not sure what you mean I swap hotbuttons out all the time without deleting and remaking them.
  4. Cone head Augur

If I am correct all 5 lines are sent to the server. Expanding that to 10 lines my cause issues. I would love to see 10 but I don't think 6 is too much to ask for.
  5. Warpeace Augur

Get it on your curser and move it from page 1 of the Socials Page to like page 4. That way you can reorganize things and not have to delete it.

As far as I know you make your social and hold + left click from the Social page and can only move it to a hot bar. From the hot bar you can move it around several times. You cant do that on the social pages.
  6. Feradach Augur

They are stored client-side in your character's .ini file. Look for the [Socials] area.
  7. Moklianne Augur

Or...allow hotkeys to call other hotkeys.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Barton The Mischievous

Can automate to much with that
  9. Tmon Journeyman

I agree Barton I think it would automate the game too much, which is why I am asking for just an expansion of the number of lines in a hotkey. As the game has expanded (e.g., more spell slots, significantly more AAs, clickable items, etc.), there has been no expansion/improvement in hotkeys.

Hotkeys help us play the game, but I am not looking to significantly automate the game. So I think adding more lines to the hotkeys is a reasonable request that matches with the enhanced complexity of the game.
    Mezothema and Barton like this.
  10. fortuneteller Augur

Except that you can then cause loops, never ending keystrokes. Which in some cases can bring Things Down. So no to that!
  11. Dramatime Augur

I was asking/hoping for this same thing for a while. We will not get it however. I'm sure the dev's believe that we get everything done that we need to get done with the 5 lines that we have right now. I was using the lines to chain nuke with my Wizard box and honestly if you're actually playing the toon the macros are just not needed.
  12. Vran New Member

I play with a warrior that has everything but 5 buttons as macros (6 hotkey bars) and he plays the war as his main. I'm sure someone like this would appreciate 10 lines per macro instead of 5.
  13. Dramatime Augur

I totally agree with you that having more lines would/could make life SOOO much easier. I would dance around a fire naked if they expanded it to 10 lines. However it would automate a lot of classes even more if they did it =(. My wizard would be a 1 button toon every pull.

To be honest I probably wouldn't even macro that many spells to 1 hotkey but would actually put in /g notifications.
  14. Cury Elder

What I would like and recommend would be a consolidation and merging of combat abilities and AA's for certain classes.
    I am not sure about the full list of classes needing ability consolidation, but for Rangers it's HUGE.

For example, for a burn (memory since I don't have my UI in front of me), you have about 9ish buttons to activate all-together when you start a burn. This does not include turning on attack nor using spell nukes/spell arrow line spells.
    Multi-line hotkeys don't work so well since almost 100% of the time the abilities listed don't activate due to lag and require pressing the multiline keys multiple times, and THEN you need still need to make sure they all activated before moving on to main spell cast nuking.

What I would like to see is some kind of guarantee that when you activate the current MANY abilities all at the same time, they actually activate on the first press.

My idea is something server-side such that:
    You group your combat abilities and activated AA's into a set. Call this BURNSET_1. This grouping is limited to no less than 20 "abilities".
    Your set is saved serverside.
    Your client sends the server the one command to activate BURNSET_1, then ALL the abilities grouped within that "activated set" are activate.

You can create several sets of "serverside stored" grouped abilties and think of them serverside multiline hotkeys.

The beauty and benefit of this is that your client only sends ONE command to the server to activate the set and all abilities within set are activated.
    This still requires the player to have knowledge of the game and isn't an Easy button back to 1999-2006(ish) because the player still has to know what they want to group together.
    It eliminates missing activated abilities whether you press 10+ single keys on a burn or several multiline hotkeys, because your client only sends the command to activate the ONE serverside-registered "grouped-ability set".

I can live with the bloat of so many combat ability and activated AA's and the knowledge needed of how to use them together, but what I would like to see is a simplified lag-proof way to activate the combo-sets (multiple abilities/AA's) configured as we desire.

-Curyllic
  15. Tmon Journeyman

Curyllic your suggestion is certainly more elegant than simply increasing the number of hotkey command lines and hopefully our developers will look into an overall improvement/overhaul of the hotkey system at some point in the future.

In the meantime, I think few would argue the game has significantly increased in complexity over the years, and the developers have been gracious to give us more spell gem slots, clickable items, hotkeys, etc.

As a reference, when I start a “burn mode” I have about 12 AAs I need to cast, between pet AAs and my regular burn AAs, this does not include clicky items or pre-burn buffs. Many years ago I never had that much stuff to manage just to start a burn, heck, we didn’t even have AAs back then.

So as what I hope is a relatively easy enhancement and since I believe there has been no enhancement to hotkeys since originally released, I ask our developers to please expand the number of hotkey command lines to match the increase in game complexity.
  16. Mezothema New Member

Love the idea Tmon. I agree, hotkeys have not expanded with the game since their inception. With all the new stuff added over the years (lot's of AAs, clicked items, etc.) adding some extra lines to the hotkeys seems like a very reasonable request.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  17. Gru_Pikeys Journeyman

OMG yes. I dont care at all about the number of lines in a macro.

IF ONLY IT WOULD WORK IN A 54 man RAID ZONE. Due to lag and whatever i can guarantee 95% of the times a macro not working correctly, if at all.

Gimme 5 lines that work rather then 10 that up all the time.
  18. moogs Augur

Sounds like you might want to increase the /pause timers, or maybe even make an alternate set specifically for high latency environments.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

Don't hate, automate.

What we need is a network/UI code change that allows players to send multiple commands to the server within the same packet.
  20. Tmon Journeyman

I don't disagree that deeper improvements would be beneficial, but I continue to hope as a simple expansion, we can at least get a few more lines for our HotKeys.