How dumb is this for a 3box crew.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Gruffish, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Gruffish Elder

90 Human Bard
    89 Troll SK
    85 Ogre Warrior.
    Cleric Merc
    Cleric Merc
    DPS Merc

I know the race is not really important but thought I'd share :)

I am not doing anything overly challenging yet so it works fine. I like tanks and with a Bard they are pretty deadly.
  2. Brohg Augur

You ought not need two cle mercs. With bard for debuffs & stat boost, and sk rollin' his epic?
  3. Gruffish Elder

No epic yet. I think you are right even without epic though. I tend to err on the side of caution but I may trade out for another dps.
  4. Sheaffer Augur

I wouldn't call it stupid but it's ineffiecient. What matters most though is whether or not you are having fun.
    Mintalie likes this.
  5. Gruffish Elder

Absolutely having fun.
  6. Kamea Augur

It's annoying to level up a new character, but you would save more time in the long run by fixing the group now than going through L105 with a poor group makeup.

Bard + tank (either) + shaman + 1x cler merc + 2x wiz mercs would be ideal for you. Shaman don't require lots of gear/aa to be useful, and would allow you to drop the 2nd cler merc.
  7. Brohg Augur

boxing tank + shm, I don't use a cle merc at all.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

Some people need to be told Shamans are more then Fatigue/Panther/Slow/2.0 bots though Brohg.
  9. Gruffish Elder

Well, here's the thing. I have a shaman on the same account with my SK so I cannot play them both at the same time. I started the warrior just to have a tank available to box with the shaman. Then I started having fun with the two tanks together.

These are the possibilities I have with the characters I have.

Mage/Bard/SK
    Mage/Bard/Shaman
    Warrior/Bard/SK
    Warrior/Bard/Shaman

I tried the Warrior/Bard/SK with 2 melee DPS and one cleric tonight and it was better.

Then went back to Mage/Bard/SK with the 2 melee DPS and one cleric and the fights were really short.

Up till yesterday the Mage/Bard/SK was my standard 3box and I like it a lot.

But I am having fun trying out weird combos.
  10. Kamea Augur

Mage/Bard/SK is a solid combo, but I'd swap the melee mercs for wizard mercs under any circumstance, especially with a bard using a spell aDPS melody. Even if you decide to try bard+shaman+war some, I'd still play spell aDPS and use wizard mercs, fyi, simply because wizard mercs are that strong.
  11. Brohg Augur

Bard spell songs aren't great. Bard + melee mercs is hax; the casters are better in any group lacking a bard.
  12. Rhaage Augur

Hmmm... The Mage / Bard / Shaman with Tank, DPS (melee or caster) and maybe swap between healer and 2nd dps merc?
  13. Hingabe Augur

I used to box brd/mag/nec. But was planning on adding sk/shm/dru (or clr) before all the nerfs made me not want to give them my money anymore. My old 3box was pretty dang good with a cler merc and 2 wizards
  14. Sheaffer Augur

Having a player tank is extremely nice so I'd go with one of those combos. Warrior bard shaman or mage bard sk are well balanced and will both do very well at any content.
  15. Zaknaffein Augur

Nothing dumb about your settup. These days you can mix and match any three class combinations and get things done in EQ easily with mercs.

Of course your 3 class settup is not as efficient as other pairings can be.

The best 3 box team is Warrior, Bard, Druid :)
  16. Ravengloome Augur

I think you might be being a bit fast and loose with the Word Best.
  17. Danille Augur

Considering the intelligence of the troll and ogre only being offset by one human and a bunch of mercs....pretty dumb! :) (just teasing)
  18. Brosa Augur

I recommend trying War, Sham, Bard + Wiz mercs. I say 3 Wiz mercs because I have yet to see Melee mercs out DPS Caster mercs. But eh, I'm told bards increase their dps equal to or above casters. According to my parses that would be a 4-5k increase.