Maybe Daybreak could be convinced to make a true sequel to EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Its not BS its an idea. And the truth is they will never revamp EQs graphics. Do you really think they will spend the money on EQ? I would love it if they did but I don't see it happening.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I see you really haven't read the posts and just responded in anger... I love EQ I would play EQ from now till I die BUT EQ will not last that long and I doubt we will get many more expansions; if we get any more at all. And I have already stated in this thread I love EQ. But once EQ is gone and or no longer getting expansions I want to see another version of the game out there so...... *shrugs*

I will respect your right to post and please respect mine :)
  3. svann Augur

4. Retty Lorekeeper

Don't think you understand how game design works, because you can't "just" update the game's base engine with the snap of your fingers. A completely new game would have to be made for that sort of undertaking, or take a grueling amount of years which would amount to a failed project in the end. It's even further out of the question with EQ's archaic internal structure. There are maybe a couple of rare exceptions, such as Anarchy Online's current update, but I don't think what they're doing is possible with the current EQ skeleton crew.

Too many people would complain anyway, pretty sure a lot of people like the way the graphics are right now due to nostalgia/being used to it. I'm indifferent, so whatev.
    Lisandra likes this.
  5. Kiillz Augur

theres no disrespect or anger. Plain and simple lets talk EQ here, your the one disparaging things. I or others who "love " the game such as your self dont need to see or discuss other games here. You ll forgive my "ANGER" when I see talk of other games or sequels, because the game you love so much has suffered because of "EQ" ventures such as EQN EQ2 etc, where the host company put their eggs in the basket of another and EQ took a back to seat to them. So in your sense of high horse riding , respect ? I m entitled to my opinion much as you are yours.

When EQ is gone, hope dont happen ANY time soon its gone. But the discussion for other games and ventures that have vultured from this game can be taken to other forums that ARENT EQ specific elsewhere.
    Iila and Lisandra like this.
  6. Aghinem Augur

What is a EverQuest 2.0? The answer is EverQuest 2. Case closed.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Sorry but I believe that to be wrong Case still open.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Aghinem Augur

I am not a EQ Dev, but have done a fair share of game development in my time - EverQuest 2 is the embodiment of a "EQ 2.0". Now, I am not going to say anything further on this due to the forum guidelines; in other words - you are not worth a ban being I am still pretty ticked about the snooty response you gave in the other thread about inactive player guilds.
    Questoften32 and Kiillz like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

NO no no no no!

I've tried EQ2 and hated it!
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh. I don't hate EQ2 but I admit the only thing I do is go there and run around looking at the pretty graphics.. well I did play it a bit and actually tried tradeskills.. that was sort of fun. Oh and decorating my three room place at an inn..... but the gameplay never grabbed me at all.
  11. Angahran Augur

Why not spend money on EQ ? After all, which of their other games has been making them money for 15 YEARS !!
    Lisandra likes this.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't want EQ to go away but I want a game to play when it happens. Or at least for when they stop making expansions. Would pretty much be the same thing to me.
  13. Amor Augur

You could just as easily ignore or not read posts you don't care to see as well. How dare someone have an honest discussion voicing their opinions. Oh wait you feel the need to tell someone what they can talk about or what they can discuss. I see so this isn't an open forum.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Kellaer Augur

Give the guy a break. When you are trying to keep your ranged dps in top condition, it can be a little stressful.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have found that you can bend over backwards to indicate you are just expressing an opinion and acknowledge people don't have to agree with you but you will still get hit with angry posts. It is sort of sad.

In another post where I voiced an idea I was called totalitarian. This after I had posted that it was just an opinion and I welcome criticism of the idea and that just because it was my idea it didn't make me right. Apparently if you voice any opinion on the forums that someone disagrees with whether you stipulate it is just your opinion you still catch flak. Part of it, I think, is that a lot of people don't really read the whole message. They glance at get angry and fire off a post. *shrugs*
  16. Melanippe Augur

You really shouldn't fault people who display a passionate response to certain suggestions. They care about this game and its future which is evident by the vehemence in their response. It's downright silly to take such comments personally. :)I am certain you have heard that old saying. :) It you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. ;)
    Questoften32 likes this.
  17. mossypelt Journeyman

As much as I appreciate where the sentiment is coming from, It is rather naive.

1) If such a game was made, which was only a graphical update and no real changes to gameplay people would eventually go back to old EQ due to nostalgia / amount of content etc etc. New graphics of any kind have never really gone down well in the EQ community. I started at PoP so i have zero nostalgia for the "old skool" graphics, but players who started before largely prefer them. It's what's familiar people generally like and it was the moment where they had their first EQ experience, which is equally as important.

2) On the other hand, if they made "improvements" to the game i.e EQ2 then you would get people raging about how this is not a true spiritual successor to the EQ franchise. EQ2 was for me a fine game, unfortunately WoW had a deterimental impact ( removing a lot of the heroic content from overland zones, reduced the feeling of exploration and achievement), but it is a sign of the times.

Which draws me onto my final point: it is impossible to make a big budget fully realised MMO with the challenging difficulty and "archaic mechanisms" that EQ has at its core and for it to be widely successful. Today's gamers are lazy. Not all, of course not, but the general gamer has been molded and shaped by games like WoW. Modern gamers would be put off by a lot of what makes EQ great - no linked encounters = ability to train mobs. No automatic tagging of mobs = Kill stealing. Exp debt on death = too punishing. Camping Placeholders for hours for a rare spawn that is essential to your quest = wtf? (I love these elements to EQ)

As a game it feels far more organic than anything else I have played. Modern MMOs feel to me sterile places to explore - they are generally safe enviroments to have an few hours of fun in and that's all. EQ on the other hand you still have to think about stuff - from planning how to get to A to B to working out/finding out the strats to killing a certain type of mob. Sure these elements are in modern games, but they are largely confined to raid encountered, where the strats are quickly distributed.

Indie games are such a place where cultishly hard difficulty and old skool ideas and even graphics can thrive, but the budget and limitations wouldn't make the EQ that you want. There is a demand for these games, but they need to be cheap to make to swing a profit.

I think it's hard to swallow, but the game we love and we want to play was more indicative of a time where the internet was fresh and much, much smaller that what it is today. Our geeky breathens are spread wide and far over the ether and it is much harder to stand out with all the online "noise".
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Nolrog Augur

I don't agree, at least not how the term EQ 2.0 is being used. EQ2 is far more WoW like than it is EQ like. It has similarity in the lore and various names (zones, items, mobs) but other than that, it's really very different than EQ. That doesn't make it a bad game, it's just. . . . . different.
    Battleaxe and Borek-VS like this.
  19. Kamea Augur

Making a true sequel to EQ would be a silly idea.

Making a direct sequel to any MMO is a bad idea, shown by the EverQuest and Asheron's Call sequels. When EQ and Asheron's Call became successful, the logical thing for a video game dev was to make a sequel, but direct sequels to MMOs have proven just to divide the playerbase. The more intelligent method is to upgrade the fidelity of the existing game, like World of Warcraft did, where it has vastly superior graphics now than it did a decade ago. Even on that front, in EQ the 35+ year old crowd is so tied to nostalgia that most of them still use original player models over Luclin ones.

Besides, a direct EQ sequel would end up being nothing to everyone. The nostalgic crowd would never accept it, and the modern crowd would never get over the archaic game mechanics.

=========================

I personally think any method to appeal to the nostalgia of EQers outside of new EQ1/EQ2 expansions is futile, and wouldn't be wise from a business perspective. Landmark and EQN need to be modern and appeal to the 17-25 yr old crowd, not the 35+ yr old crowd. Landmark is doing that by being heavily insirprised by Minecraft and other open world crafting games. I don't think EQN should even be a MMORPG as we understand MMORPGs , the genre peaked in 2009/2010 and is basically dying outside of WoW. 17-25 yr olds have little interest in MMORPGs, selling a MMORPG in 2015 is like selling a MUD in 2002.

With that being said, I do see 1 method for the EQ franchise to appeal to nostalgia.

A single player steam early access game. Divinity: Original Sin is a great example of a game that appealed to both old and new players by having a new take on the Balduar's Gate model, carefully modernizing certain aspects while preserving others. I could see EverQuest making a single player game modeled after old Gothic or Elder Scrolls games that incorporate a more MMO-like spell/disc/combat system. Aka, make a Kingdoms of Amalur that doesn't suck.
  20. Fansy Augur

EQ2 was mistake from the beginning they split their customer base with competing games. At least EQN clearly for a different crowd. Sickening to think how much money was stripped from this game to fund EQ2 and EQN, which is fine if love was passed back when needed But now that this game needs more money and support to get it over the hump. And its a better luck next time mentality so far from SOE possibly Daybreak. Its self fulfilling prophecy that this game will die and not generate revenue if you put out as little content as you did for the past 2 years because of cut support and money to make big expansions with lots of content and raids for all.

Shut down EQ2 and all money and support for it should be put back into EQ. EQN is a totally different game and is aimed at those liking cartoon graphics and instant gratification. Don't further compound your mistake by funneling lots of money into EQ2 for the next few years only to then lose most of that player base to EQN when it drops. When that money could have been spent on a game that caters to a totally different crowd thats established, addicted and have money to spend.
    Randragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.