Operation Everquest

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Wylder, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Wylder New Member

Hi, all!

My name is Jt (45 male - Texas), and I'm completely new to Everquest. I've played several Mmorpg's, including WoW, GW, GW2, Lotro, etc so I know my way around so to speak. It's just time for a change. I've just got done reading the back-lore and overview for Everquest, and have to say I'm pretty intrigued and excited! I've mostly heard good things whenever Everquest was the topic of conversation. So, after 15 years I've finally pulled the trigger, lol.

If there is any experienced wisdom any of you care to share that might help me in my maiden journey, it'd be both welcomed and appreciated.

Great to be here!
  2. Borek-VS Augur

It's only a race if you want it to be - there are many different play styles, so do what you feel you want to do.

Experiment with different class/race combos, it's hard to mess up.

Do run through the tutorial, and don't give up if you don't like the graphics or the keyboard controls; this isn't a twitch game. It's ok to research quests - Allakhazam will be a good resource for you.

Hire a tank merc for at least your first 60 levels.

Make friends, form your own groups, and join a friendly guild.
  3. Malkavius Augur

First of all try to realize eq is older than any other mmorpg and it shows. The graphics and the ui tend to turn off most new players. As well as the lack of quest hand holding theme park style of most mmorpgs. Although the heroes journey falls into that category a bit.

If you can look past the games age there is a lot of fun to be had.
  4. Crystilla Augur

Have to remember, as one of the first games - it has some issues and the newer games built upon this one and cleaned up some of the things that might challenge someone here.

If I have any suggestion, make a character on Rathe server and look for Roxxanna's guild (The Eternal Darkness).
  5. Chinghis New Member

As someone who started playing back at the turn of the century, I find this a hilarious statement. To me, everything now is handed to you on a silver platter. A Quest journal? A box that pops up and tells you where you might go now that you've leveled?

But I get it; my son is watching a video of Overlord II, I guess, and the game really does just tell you exactly what to do. Malkavius' comment just struck me as funny, that's all.

So, OP, what class are you thinking of? If you like the lore and don't mind taking the slow and steady (and undergeared!) route, maybe you should hang out in some of the original newbie zones instead of Crescent Reach and Blightfire. The armor, gear, and plat that you can get through the tutorial, however, is worth it and will make those old newbie zones very easy for you.
  6. Wylder New Member

I made a Halfling Ranger on Bristlebane and did the tutorial section until lvl 10, but he seemed to lack early dps and took too much damage (Much to my dismay, because I love Rangers!), so I deleted him and re-rolled a Iksar Beastlord (Wargeko) who's almost lvl 10 now. Having him, along with the merc and warder, kill things much faster and more efficient. I've also been looking for a group or guild geared toward new players but haven't found anything yet. It doesn't matter what server really, as I'm still testing race/class combos to see what I prefer and feel more comfortable with. I am enjoying EQ immensely thus far and am still very intrigued and excited about getting out in the "real world" so to speak, and expanding my game-play experience.
  7. Elricvonclief Augur

Welcome to EQ!

Check the guild recruiting boards in the guild lobby. (in the corner of the lobby closest to guild hall doors) I know there are more than a few guilds on Bristlebane that welcome new/returning players.
  8. Bobbit New Member

I just came back to EQ after a few year break last night. I am starting up on Vulak, one of the time locked progression servers, it is one of the lower population servers, but that just means that you will have a chance to get server firsts. If you want to level with me I would love the company. IGN Bobbit