Can't hail NPC's in the tutorial zone.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by EagerEQUser, Dec 4, 2014.

1. EagerEQUser New Member

For some reason I can't hail certain NPC's in the Gloomingdeep Mines to complete the Basic Training quest as well as other quests that involve me to talk to characters. I've looked on other forums and Youtube and can't seem to run into the same issue that I've had. Whenever I try hailing at certain characters it won't bring up the tutorial box. Is this an issue for my character or am I missing a command?
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. TSR-SeanF Augur

If you continue to run into this problem it may be the result of a problem with a file related to your user interface. You may want to make backups and then delete the following files:

defaults.ini
    eqclient.ini
    eqgame.exe
    EQGfx_Dx8.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    eqlsClient.ini
    eqmain.dll

Also, back up the character configuration files by following these instructions:

<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini (example jack_bristlebane.ini)
    UI_<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini (example ui_jack_bristlebane.ini)

One or more of those files may be corrupt, causing these issues.

If deleting these files does not resolve your issue, you can restore your backed up files and folders and retain your hotkeys, contact lists, and display settings.
  4. Yther Augur

What TSR-SeanF reported is better, but if you don't want to do all that, you can try targetting the NPC, the typing "/say Hail, %t" without the quotes to do the same thing as hailing and see if that works. If it does, it may be your default channel is not /say any more or other similiar UI settings problems.

Yther Ore.
  5. EagerEQUser New Member

Okay I fixed the issue basically I deleted my original toon and remade him again with the same problem than I finally figured out that the solution was to not hail them but press H when highlighted. I should note that this problem had happened with Alga The Basher as well the Achievement guy and the corpse summoner but clicking on them and pressing H is fine, though this is still a glitch that needs to be addressed/fixed. I almost quit playing altogether because I was so frustrated but I found it out on my own plus I got to roll an arguably better character/class that will suit my noobish ways. My black and red Froglok Necromancer with demonic red and black eyes can wait to be my evil alt >=] Blue Eyed White Tiger Beastlord is much better for now. Kinda reminds me of WoW on how my first official character was a Warlock than I chose Hunter since I'm better suited to animals rather than demons. Thanks anyways for the help.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Highlighted parts - Exactly HOW was you hailing the NPC if not highlighting it and hitting the H key? Where you actually typing in the chat line Hey, Hi, Hello, Hail, bite me, etc? :)

All the posts above believed you were having problems hailing NPCs by doing just that, targeting the NPC then hitting the H key to hail the NPC. Yther Ore post was in case the Hail trigger was not working for you and that NPC.

When speaking with an NPC it always needs to be targeted/highlighted. Then hitting the H key to hail/trigger the initial conversation, though if you are aware of the triggered words further in the conversation that can also be used.

All the Youtube stuff likely did not show the player hitting the H key to trigger hail syntax. So just FYI, that is normal for EQ encounters with Quest NPC, other NPCs who are not trying to kill you and is not broken.

Edit - Tutorial also says to target (highlight) NPC and hit H key to hail. It is like the 3rd or 4th window. Tutorial came much later and very few NPC respond to typed Hail. But they always have to be targeted (highlighted - newbies :) )

Have fun!! - posted in case others run into the same.. issues :)

edited again - Beware of saying specific words to some NPCs though.....it can get really ugly really quick.
    Cazmac and Yther like this.