Ideal melee based group for group content

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tuiv, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Tuiv Journeyman

Looking for opinions for what your ideal group that is melee focused would be for group content. Taking skill out of the equation, which group would perform the best with no outside buffs besides what they offer in all settings, be it exp to 100, trash and named fights. Looking for also the team that would perform the best over a longer duration with sustained being the primary focus.

Currently trying out the combo of
    Paladin (tank,offheals),
    Shaman(heals,slows,buffs),
    Bard
    Triple Rogue

Initial concerns, DPS seems awesome but mana is an issue for the Shaman. Perhaps cannibalize becomes much more powerful at later levels to offset this and no medding is needed? Or Paladin offheals become faster/ more efficient? Only lvl 35 at the moment so hard to gauge.

The second group also trying is
    SK
    Bard
    Druid
    Shaman
    Double monk

While DPS is lower in this group, survivability is much higher with double healer. Trying to find a happy medium and to squeeze in 3 pure DPS while still being able to do named monsters at higher levels.

Looking for your thoughts or what your perfect melee group would be.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

If you want pure melee, based on recent content I would think:

Paladin (tank, some heals, cures)
    Shaman
    Ranger (CC, and don't overlook the utility of tracking)
    Rogue
    Bard
    Berserker
  3. Pwnography Augur

I'm with Bigstomp here. The problem with your triple rogue idea is that you're ignoring the synergy provided by a diversity of classes. Berserker auras, ranger buffs and cooldowns, et cetera. Ideally, you want to diversify. In regards to your question on Shaman mana - that's probably not as large of a concern as you may think it is. I find it pretty hard to push a Shaman out of mana before someone else in my group needs a small rest. They're very impressive with mana management given two forms of frequent Canni for substantial amounts. The AA potency is great. You also have a Bard in the group which is going to feed a substantial amount of mana regen.

Good luck. I'm speaking in generalities because my group is usually formed for the task at hand. There is no 'optimal' melee dps group for all situations, but you can build a decent composition for most everything you'll do. I wouldn't, for example, bring that group anywhere near ToRot2 - you'll always find exceptions.
  4. Laronk Augur

Imo beastlord instead of ranger above. I'm not biased! And the bard has track
  5. Shang Augur

Warrior, Shaman, Bard, Berserker, Rogue, Beastlord.
  6. silku Augur

Enchanter, Wizard, Wizard, Wizard, Wizard, Druid. Best melee eva
    Sancus and Silentchaos like this.
  7. Tuiv Journeyman

Perfect thanks, makes sense to mix and match. I did not know the pure melee classes got buffs such as auras.
  8. Tuiv Journeyman

Serious question, on named encounters - who tanks?
  9. Laronk Augur

The enchanter with rune and you use silent casting. 99% of names will die instantly
    silku likes this.
  10. silku Augur

Yeah, for the most part you either ping pong and rune tank, or just let the chanter tank. Most group mobs die so fast with that group that you don't have to really 'tank', just live long enough to get nukes going.
  11. Tuiv Journeyman

Hmm, it seems the EQ world has really changed then from the PoP eras... makes it seem as if the holy trinity setup is no longer a core staple.
    Wayylon and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  12. Marshall Maathers Augur

It's been gone for a long time.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  13. Laronk Augur

while it is not a staple. When you have an oh moment having a real tank or the full holy trinity makes a massive difference
  14. Pwnography Augur

The holy trinity model used to be a requirement - now its simply a nice-to-have situation. Although there may be a minority of players that may disagree, I think that most will agree that the difficulty of the game has reduced dramatically from a decade ago. Pulling five at a time in Karnors was a death sentence, where its simply the norm now. Losing a slow would kill your tank - we don't really need slows anymore either. The game used to be balanced around six, real players. With mercs, it seems like most content is built to be able to be handled with three players and three mercs. The game has loosened up a bit due to population decline and the fact that you just can't throw together perfect groups all the time anymore. They now put in some challenges, like ToRot2 or the Thuliasaur time trial that you really need a good setup for, but thats more of an exception than the rule.

With that said, I still believe strongly in the Holy Trinity model. I feel inclined to always have a cleric. I realize a Druid or Shaman can do the job, but not nearly as effectively (all things being equal, skill included.) My pull size increases dramatically with a cleric. I usually bring a beastlord for my utility. The dps is wonderful, slows are included, and it generally means unlimited mana for my caster-heavy stacks. It works wonders for how I play - others do differently. My playstyle isn't slow or cautious - I run into a room, tag everything, and assess how to handle it and how many, if any, discs I'm going to need. I stack four, very high powered dps and move quick. That isn't for everyone.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that you have much, much more flexibility than ever before for groups. As you can see, some suggestions are breaking the old school mold, but that by no means invalidates it. Ths holy trinity is still an exceptionally strong, safe, and effective method if you want to go that way. In some missions or places, without raid gear, it may be close to mandatory. If you choose not to, you can make other compositions work too with some effort. The power is in your hands - find what you feel works best for you and what you enjoy playing with the most. Everything else will fall into place.
  15. Ravengloome Augur

I love the holy trinity

Paladin Enchanter Wizard
    Silentchaos likes this.
  16. Tuiv Journeyman

I'm looking at the list of what a berserker offers the group and I see a target of target skill and a group 1 minute burn skill, increases crit chance by 100%.and accuracy by 20%
    The ranger offers an attack bonus and 4% double attack. The remaining discs look to be self only.
    The Beastlord offers some pretty nice buffs though some may not stack with a Shaman already in the group but their DPS is Tier 2 and doesn't match a Rogue.
    The Rogue gets a group Accuracy bonus skill that looks to be decently on part with the berserker one.

I guess maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like the other melee's add "that" much to the group when a Bard + Shaman is already providing the core buffs.

I realize in a 1 minute burn you pop them all together, but at the same time - with 3 of the same you chain them together for a 3 minute burn if the fight lasts longer. Which pulls in further sustainability. I'd rather pump out solid dps over a long period of time as opposed to a large burst and then fall off.

Using Allakhazam as a reference and perhaps missing something. I really enjoy the stacking aspect as it makes things easier on my side but if there is truly a substantial gain is there more abilities I'm not seeing?
  17. Matari Augur

Enchanter, cleric, and 4 mages. Easy setup for [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. As for killing trash; one mage has air pet and rest use water pet. 9 out 10 times you do not even need to cast a nuke.
  18. Ravengloome Augur

Cry havoc/Carnage IIRC can have 100% uptime?

+ your neglecting the aura... which AFAIK stacks with almost everything melee based.

As far as Beast lord DPS: Sustained they can keep up with a rogue all day. Burst obviously falls shy, but on the burst adps side they can use Ruabris, 3rd (i think thats the one) Spire, and Group Bestial < not sure how that meshes with Rogues

Also Paragon/Focused Paragon, keeps the paladin/shaman with mana longer, More helpful for the paladin, Who if your using it at the limits of what it can do DPS/Healing wise will burn through mana at an incredible rate (but basically turn your shaman into a patch healer at best, or an afterthought post slow)

Beast lord can also heal the paladin should the need arise (say your shaman dies and you can't channel a quick rez or your to lazy to get the Rez stick for your paladin)

Basically your missing the point of utility it seems =/.
  19. Feradach Augur

Are you trying to box this group yourself, or will there be six real people? The reason I ask is that it is significantly more difficult to box multiple melee toons than it is casters. With casters you don't have to worry about initial positioning, adjusting for push, chasing a mob during agro ping-pong, etc. Something to think about. If you're talking about six real people, then my recommendation would be SHD-SHM-BRD-MNK-ROG-BER.
  20. Ybidzian New Member

Cleric (don't believe the crap, clerics can DI, Divine Arb, and they're just better healers all round). Warrior/Paladin/SK all have their virtues, really a case of your choice of playstyle. Rogue, zerk, monk, ranger, beastlord, really it doesn't matter, but I would always have a bard. Which melee you would choose may well depend on the situation, but here is no grp that is not enhanced by a well played bard. If you have to use gate pots to get around so be it /shrug.
    Personally I would consider the most powerful group game combo to be 5 mages and a shaman.