Bigger fish = Pain in the kneck

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Quentil, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Quentil New Member

Despite all the complaints i have been quit enjoying the new xpac , mainly just been tempest temple doing quests there, that was until i tried doing the last quest in the merc quest chain Bigger fish , soon worked out its impossible to do with all the toons i box ie

Warrior ( tier 2 cotf geared ) almost max aa
    Shaman ( tier 2 cotf nealy aa maxed )
    Ranger ( main , mixtue of cotf armour and raid dps )
    + 2 healer mercs , 1 mage merc

with in about 20 sec of start i had about 20 mobs spawn on me . all at normal trash lvl strength , tried 3 times and everytime it was the same , any group that don't have mezzers and palidin for stun going to fail at it, it really need retuning badly , and going 2 anmoy me tha i am going 2 have miss out completing the merc quests now
    Corwyhn Lionheart and guado like this.
  2. Hatsee Augur

You have 3 healers and 1 dps along with a merc dps,

Swap the 2 healer mercs for dps and just heal on the shaman and give it a try.
  3. forumwriter Journeyman

This is a over tuned quest, First off its a shared task that has to be done where A LOT of other people are pulling mobs for other quests, WHICH AGGRO you while killing the waves of Serpents. Secondly. the spawn rate on serpents IS WAY TO FAST, on top of which its about 20 mins of spawning before the end guy spawns to complete the quest. That gives LOTS of times for other players to screw you over by pulling their own mobs. Why this isnt in a instance is beyond me, and why the serpents spawn for 20 mins is just plain stupid, and who ever picked the spawn rate is a moron and doesnt play their own game.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Vlerg Augur

1 ranger 1 wiz 1 rogue 3 healer merc. kept up with the spawn rate without much trouble... I do agree that 20 min of serpent wave ( who give no XP) is kinda ridiculous.

had to do it twice because the very last mob bugged out.
  5. Marshall Maathers Augur

You should have seen it before it was tuned down. THAT was a lot of fun.
    Janakin and Iila like this.
  6. Drakang Augur

1 SK, 1 Monk, 1 Mage and mercs NP. If you got that many sounds like you managed to agro zone stuff or got trained. Worst moment we had 7 serpents on us. But just used that moment for defensives and burns.

Didn't think it was that hard at all. Does require a level of DPS but if 2 DPS and 2 mercs is enough its not that high.
  7. Rathgar Journeyman

One try, one win. Warrior, zerker, wizard, bard, wiz merc, cleric merc.

Group gear. Only bard is boxed. Drop the triple healers. One healer is plenty for most group content.

I found this to be the first fun quest in TDS.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I get that you want to slay the dragon all by yourself, but when you run into something you can't do at your level, you can either level/gear up, or you could allow someone else into your group. An Enchanter, for instance, can mez all the excess mobs. If you're on Bertoxxulous Server, I'll help you.

Please don't ask them to turn our "Massively Multiplayer Game" into a single-player experience.
  9. roguerunner Augur

The adds melt so quickly, even with mercs on burn
  10. FawnTemplar Augur

We did it with 2 War (one boxed) 2 Clr (both boxed) Dru and Rog. Not too terrible, but I will say that the constant killing for 20+ mins waiting for the name was a pain.

Also, there are a few missions in this expansion that I just do not understand why they are not instanced. The cost of balance for example. I wonder why this is.
  11. Brogett Augur

When was it tuned down? During beta?

Also, it's not an instance. I have no issues at all with *one* tough task that isn't required for progression, especially if you can get help from others to do it. It's an event that needs heavy DPS. That means your current box crew isn't ideal for it, but no one ever really said every event should be doable with the same low-dps setup.
  12. Marshall Maathers Augur

It was tuned down during Beta. I don't know if it still does it, but the eels kept spawning at a very fast pace once you had the boss engaged. I had a very high quality group and we pulled it out barely, with 8-10 adds on us when the boss died.

EDIT: I went back and checked the notes, and the add waves were spaced out more, and the hp on mobs was reduced during beta. Maybe the adds still spawn during boss, I haven't tried it on live yet.
  13. Brogett Augur

That still happens. Was fun :)

Maybe they tuned down the adds though as most of them have very low hp (depending on the name).
  14. Edrick Augur

They were pretty much as tough as regular zone trash before they were tuned. That little quest was nasty.
  15. Siddar Augur

Just use two groups and do event twice to get both groups through it.

It doesn't matter who kills the mobs only that people with mission survive until named at end is killed.

It's actually a good social event for just grabbing people in the zone as extra help. Just have them pop cleric mercs and add DPS.
    Rytan and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  16. Kanolth New Member

OP can't beat a merc task with his... box group?

I say: GOOD! Get real players into your group.
  17. Kravitz Augur

Real players? I don't know what game you play, but its a luxury to have a real tank or healer in EQ, dps not so much yet. And its not like SOE didn't drive more people away from buying the expansion, where do you expect to find those immense amount of real players?

Your solution is pretty dense.
  18. noclue Elder

He or she pays to play same as anyone else and should be allowed to "play it his way". Boxed, solo, raiders only, groupers only, or any combination you can come up with, doesn't matter, it's how they want to play.
    Kudos to Quentil for trying Bigger Fish, ugly task that it is.
  19. Waldagar Augur

We tried this last night with Rogue, Beastlord, Bard, tank merc and 2 healers mercs. We survived for about the first 5 minutes before being over run by eels. Try #2 we swapped to 2 wiz mercs and a healer merc. Both wiz mercs were on AOE burn, but they died too quickly. Try #3 with one wiz merc on single target burn, one tank merc and one healer merc. We made it to the 7 minute mark before being over run.

Here is what I found out playing with this task: 1) you actively have to be killing mobs or they all poof and you fail. We tried taking one eel and keeping it mezzed away from the group, but the mem blur caused lose of agro and they all poofed.

Does anyone know for sure if you have to kill an eel every 60 seconds or just have to have agro?
  20. svann Augur

Or just task add people. Dont need to be in the group.