Shadowknight tank AA's

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Theroleplayer, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Theroleplayer New Member

Hi all, I am returning to EQ after nearly 10 years and am slowly relearning the game. I am working on an Iksar Shadow knight tank and would love to know what kind of AA's should I go for to help me. My goal is to waste no points. If there are any experienced Shadowknight tanks who wouldn't mind guiding me I would very much appreciate it. Lastly, should I tank using ye olde sword'n board (shield and sword) or can I tank effectively with a two hander? Sorry for the nub questions, I came off of playing WOW where tanking is sword and shields only for most tank classes. :p
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Theft of life TOTC soul abrasion spell casting fury fury of magic destructive fury combat stabilit/agility knights advantage knights return strike shield block

Basically anything that provides lifetap increases proc increases and swing rate increases
  3. Croak Augur

Are you trying to make a "free to play" shadowknight?

Even if you go all access for a while to max out your AAs, then drop down to free to play, you wouldn't be able to use prestige gear. That means most augs and higher tier gear will be off-limits.

For a tank that means you will be very limited in the content you can fight at higher levels.
  4. Theroleplayer New Member

I fully intend to go full access here in a week or so. I think it might be a while before I need to worry about end game raids since I am only lvl 29 and leveling fast, for now ;), I am just trying to think toward the future and appreciate all your input. :)
  5. Croak Augur

So if you are playing on a live server (not progression), then as of tomorrow you will be able to autogrant AAs up to level 90 if you are an all access player. Possibly only to 85 without buying the new expansion (looking forward to seeing if it works up to 90 without buying tomorrow)

That covers a lot of core AAs and you will see how all the various AAs will significantly boost your self healing.

You really don't want to spend months grinding AAs before you get to 90, and a SK needs his AA at all levels to function.

More important to think about possibly is your epic 1.5 and 2.0 and picking up some AC augs on the way to 90
  6. Ravengloome Augur

Not possibly COA chest and 2.0 are mandatory.
  7. Croak Augur

2.0 is not mandatory before 90 when it can be soloed in group gear, because most Sks won't be grinding any AA in that range now.
    It is worth doing 1.5 in the 70s, the earlier the better if you are actually grinding AAs. That can be done as early as lv65 with help.
    If you can get help with 2.0 sure... get it earlier, it isn't difficult and the rare drops you can get lv55-65

Citadel of Anguish chest is nice to have but I wouldn't bother until bored @ lv100 - it is a horrible faction grind for an item you will likely rarely use.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

I am not sure we even play the same game... COA chest is 30% melee based leech 1 minute out of 5. Not getting this ASAP is crippling your passive self healing. The faction grind can be done while AFK when you goto work, when you get home voila faction done.

Between the 2.0 and coa chest you have a leech effect going for 161 seconds out of 300... Making either wait is just laziness.
  9. sojero One hit wonder

COA BP is only 15% not 30%
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Yeah it's not 30%.

It's better than nothing but it's hardly as game changing as 2.0 or leech curse.
  11. Croak Augur

AFK grinding the faction would likely require boxing to have say wizzie + healer merc - it has been a while but something like 1500-2k mobs is not just 1 day at work afk, and what level do you propose to do that? (I can think of good afk areas for 20 mobs, not much more)

OMM is far easier to just go in and solo at lv100 ignoring all the effects - sure if you get the opportunity to do it earlier with a partner or 3 go for it.
    I'm on my 3rd group SK, though I missed 2nd half of RoF and CotF (playing catchup now) - not having Anguish BP it wasn't an issue, though I wasn't trying to solo any t4 named in current expansions.

Plus as a max AA grouper, the 24secs in my mainly RoF group gear only gets you 41 seconds not 1 min with only 360 counters

It is like a 3rd or 4th tier depending on era, after epic/visage, after leech/mantle or maybe UF BP/Mantle/1st Spire/7th then leechcurse

I am sure I am playing a different game to you, but I am also pretty sure the OP leveling up is as well.