eta on new progression server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by shaagul, Aug 26, 2014.

1. shaagul Journeyman

When can i expect a new progression server.
    Redik likes this.
  2. Kukgrol Elder

Oh boy has this been the most asked question in the last 3 years ? As far as I know, SoE has never officially said anything about any new progression server. I'm sure the decision comes down to dollars, as should be expected with a business needing dollars to survive.

As soon as the dollars that they will lose from Fippy & Vulak are less than what they gain by getting new servers started (plus the cost of launching and upkeep, and still maintaining whatever they do with Fippy & Vulak), AND the manpower drain away from other projects is worth the potential revenue that manpower can generate elsewhere, we'll get our server(s)

As far as I know SoE has made no official word of new servers coming anytime soon ? Anyone else have any actual SoE official statements that say something about this subject? I ask the way I do because there is lots of talk about it (and there has been for 3 years+ now), but our talk doesn't mean SoE spends the resources to do it.
  3. Toquillaw Augur

All I remember SOE saying is that they are still thinking about a new progression server, but what rules would be implemented were still under discussion. And, this was quite some time ago. They did also say something about not wanting to start one anytime around the release of an expansion. I would assume that means that we won't get one until at least 3 months after the next expansion. These servers were opened in February (after expansion, but also before anniversary).

Timing is everything.
  4. roth Augur

Is there something wrong with the current Progression servers that would warrant new ones?
  5. SnapVine Augur

yes
  6. Sheaffer Augur

The current ones are at SOD and people want to start over. A lot of people want to play the old content but have no interest in more current stuff.
  7. roth Augur

That's not a problem with a progression server, that's a progression server doing what it is designed to do : progress.
  8. Machen New Member

At the EQ keynote at SOE live, one of the devs was asked about a new progression server, and stated: "We talk about it a lot, but… We don’t have any plans for it immediately, or nothing we can reveal right now, but it’s talked about on a regular basis."

So, it sounds like one is not coming soon anyway.

40:15 in this video:
  9. SnapVine Augur

so as far as you are concerned, the only valid reason to release a new progression server would be if the current one was "broken" and the only possible fix was to wipe it, delete all the characters and start from scratch? wanting to play on a "classic" EQ, or velious/PoP locked, or just start over in a new progression server are not roth approved play styles and should be dismissed.

just trying to understand your point of view here.
  10. shaagul Journeyman

The point is, i want a classic server with corpse runs, hell levels, no mercs, no world drop gear, hard slow leveling and no PoK books for easy porting. I want the classic game to run for 6 months and a new expansion every 6 months. When u hit PoP wait 6 months and bring up a new server that progress from PoP and leave the old server at PoP. The progression server or at least flippy progressed to fast. Slow it all down and make it hard again make dying hurt and playing ur role in a group matter again. Hell the slower it is the longer i pay to play it. Makes more money for soe.
    Baliaan, Reskal and Xanadas like this.
  11. Mardy Augur

Expect nothing to be done until EQ Landmark & EQ Next are released. SOE has a big chunk of their human & money resources tied up in the development of these games. Many devs/coder from the EQ1 team also got reallocated to these new projects, leaving EQ1 dry. You'll notice during SOE Live, both this year and last year, devs continually cite the lack of time & resources for not being able to do a lot of the things that players asked for, including a lot of things they themselves want done.

It's the harsh realities of SOE and fans of SOE games. I wish it wouldn't be this way, I've repeatedly said I'd come back bringing at least 2 people with me if they launched new progression servers. The thing is it isn't like they don't know about the success of TLP servers, they saw how packed they were, and how long they stay packed full of premium-subscription players. Much longer than naysayers predicted (some predicted Fippy/Vulak would empty out after their free trial week, some predicted a month in, they were all wrong). But, reality is that they simply don't have any devs to spare to spend any time on new progression servers, because they barely have any time to spend on existing ones when there are issues, and they barely have enough time to take care of the current live EQ1 game.

New EQ expansion is 2 months away and they don't even have a lot of things finalized, no pre-order setup, no beta, like 1 dev is handling all class AA's and spells. Honestly I don't fault the EQ1 team for any of this, this comes straight from the top. It's gross mismanagement of resources. I'm amazed the current shrunk EQ1 team is even able to keep this large classic MMO going.

Anyways, I wish SOE would surprise us with a new progression server, but truth is they probably won't until Landmark & Next are launched. Furthermore they should've merged Vulak with Fippy months ago, but they're likely holding onto the slim chance people will pay to transfer their chars from Vulak to Fippy. Not like money they get are coming back into EQ1 anyway, they're all going to Landmark & Next.
  12. Cakeny Augur

You want them to create an entirely different client version just for Progression servers? I don't see this happening, even if they still had all the old data which they most likely don't.
  13. Kukgrol Elder

-- They didn't merge the two servers because they didn't see it as economically a good idea, or they would have. They did the right thing by not merging. It let the servers evolve to different playstyles that let more people find a server they enjoy.

The reality is, if they merge the server, they will basically be putting all the work into the merge, just to have 90%+ of the accounts on Vulak cancel.

I know this for fact because, if they merge the server, my family will cancel our accounts, all 25. Yes, our family runs 25 accounts. We don't raid with all of them since we kick boxes on full raids. But, if we cancel 25 accounts, I'm positive a good number of our friends will as well, since most of us log on to play because of the friendship and atmosphere we have, and that will be gone if we get rolled into Fippy. Especially since the only active, full, raiding guild on Vulak would shut down.

So I think it's realistic to expect they would lose 35-50 accounts at least on the merge. That's being conservative, it could be more. They'd keep a few, but overwhelming majority would stop playing either immediately or shortly thereafter.

Also, our server and guild, have seen an upsurge in membership and new people rolling here for the first time. Some like the quiet aspect of our server, and the atmosphere that lacks the drama and trolls. Trolls show up once in a while but because we won't give them a home, they quickly get bored and leave. So it stays the type of place that people that want casual play without adolescent drama can log on.

Right now they have 2 distinct servers, both attracting (or losing) members that want the respective playstyles. If they merge, they have 1. That will be a significant net loss in membership and revenue.

Why would they put effort / money / resources (which are so limited) to create a loss of membership / revenue ?
    Fastdefense likes this.
  14. guado Augur

Soon (TM)
  15. jeskola pheerie

when fippy catches live. Brad McQuaid himself told me this, right after he set his foam Firey Avenger aflame with alcohol and a lighter.
    Elbereth and Wayylon like this.
  16. Redik New Member

I missed the ones before (progression servers)... I really want this to happen. All of the new MMO's suck... I would play a PoP+2 server over and over until somebody figures out how to make a new MMO that actually requires skill and time (not money and more money).

Please, make this happen.
  17. Punchu Augur

Kuk, way to fly off topic and turn every thread into a kuk clan loves casuals recruitment post.

But back to the topic!

It's been said by SoE before and this remains the word of SoE: There will be no new progression servers until the current ones have run their course. Which means catching up to live.
  18. Elskidor Augur

I usually pop in every 3 months or so to check up, and here I am. Still patiently waiting, guys. =)

Bring back a fresh server in 2015.... Purdy please?
  19. Merry Elder

Same as Elskidor here...
    Waiting for a new TLP is my only reason to keep the EQ installation on my disk even. ;)

I tried the new expansions and content and so on and forth.... people hardly group anymore, guild only logs in to raid... no fun really if i have to box to play the game b/c there are no real groups happening. (at least on AB :/ )
    Then work came in my way, was put into night shift and not even able to raid anymore but thats a different story.

Bring on a new TLP (or something similiar - maybe stop it at the expansion where numbers on the current TLP droped because of instancing or whatever the reason may be) pretty please... :(

I want to have a MMO again where i can play in groups for anything and everything and not grind levels solo up to max and just group for dungeons and raids... thats bleh. *whine* :)
  20. Asskicker666 New Member

T

This is exactly what we need! Classic rules, stopped at PoP with no PoK! Got at least 10 friends that would come back for that! I really hope SoE will do that soon enough! We all miss the real best mmo!