testcopy

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hingabe, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Hingabe Augur

I've been playing since late 99 off and on, and am kinda ashamed to say, I've never done this. Can someone explain it to me in detail? I.e. when you /testcopy, do you just start over there where you left off, and have to progress like normal? Can you adjust your lvl/gear as you see fit to "test" things? Hows the population? Etc.
  2. Hingabe Augur

I'd like to see the potential of my 3box, before I reach max lvl/aa/gear on all 3, and if it's not worth it, just stop paying for the box accounts, and go back to LFGing on my main, or just wait til whatever game comes out thats better than EQNext. All this nerfing is getting old. If you want to balance things, bring classes up, instead of dragging them down. Balance it, then adjust future content to the intended difficulty.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Retro Elder

Beta is the server you can cheat buff on, test is the same as server transferring except you have gold status on it and there is no economy.There is a raid guild there in t1 cotf and you see a couple lfg in general once in while for HAs,
  4. Ayoheee Augur

Puts an exact copy of your character on test server. If your character is less than level 25 you can /testbuffme and it will level you to 25 with skills and classic era gear.
  5. Ozni Elder

You can /testcopy a character once every 8 hours. Your character starts on Test in the exact place/state in which it was last saved on Live, so the most important thing about /testcopying is making sure your character has been saved AFTER you get all the gear on and stuff you want to transfer over. This can be done by zoning, by logging out and back in, and I remember someone saying that using the /eqplayer command also forces a save, even though the service itself no longer works, but I haven't tried this myself.

The population is comparatively low. Economy is non-existant, although there is some stuff up in the bazaar. The people there are generous and helpful. General chat is usually lively, probably the best I've come across as far as activity.

There are things you give up though. You can never leave, any progress you make there stays there. Last I knew there was only one current end-game raiding guild, so if you were hoping to have some kind of selection there you'd be out of luck. You'll get hit with the new changes first, sometimes it might be stuff later deemed too harsh to make it to Live in its current form, if at all. And sometimes things will be fixed on Live and left broken on Test for awhile, as crazy as that sounds. And there's always the possibility that the free-ness will be revoked, and you'll be stuck with a character that can't move anywhere, but that you'd still have to pay for to do anything with. On a server whose population would likely go from "low" to "dead".

It's a great place, but it's kinda like a Tibetan sand painting, or a free lunch in a bad neighborhood. It's nice but you shouldn't stick around unless you KNOW you can live with the consequences. Otherwise, I'd suggest only using it for the purpose it's named after: to test things out, whether it's new features or box groups you're not quite sure you want to shell out on yet.