Torpor

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Korpskugga, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Korpskugga New Member

Hi Everyone,

Anyone that can help me with an argument regarding the spell Torpor from the old days?
    (2000-2001)

Was there ever a mana drain component added to it ? (from start or later)
    if it was, anyone remember when it was removed ?

any info would be nice.

BR
    Korp
  2. Feradach Augur

I don't recall it ever having a mana drain, but it does have a snare component.
  3. Crystilla Augur

No mana drain that I ever recall either. The snare definitely is part of the spell as Feradach said.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It never had a mana drain, it was just a snare (100%) and melee slow (30%) for a 300 hp per tick heal
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Why hello there!

Those of you commenting, were you 60 with Torpor during Kunark? Cause that's the time period we are curious about. It also seems very difficult to find information in that time since many weren't 60 in Kunark, and those that were may not have had access to such a rare spell.

EQCaster's Realm and Everlore list it as having a 50 mana drain per tick during that time period. There are also several comments from those websites about it draining mana. Old SOE Board Archives also mention it:

Also a few things about it discuss the snare component removing SoW and the slow component removing haste buffs (like celerity). The first I recall since all movement buffs shared a single line and didn't stack. The later I do not recall but wouldn't rule out since stacking from vanilla-Velious was pretty weird.
    feiddan likes this.
  6. Sowslow Elder

I don't remember it having a mana drain during kunark.
    I think I have the old kunark install CDs, I am guessing the spell file on it will show the original spell information.
    Will have to check it later.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I was a shaman main originally and started right before velious released. I didn't actually get torpor/60 until velious was well out but dont recall it ever having a mana drain.

It was such a godly spell in those days, single handedly made so much possible solo. At the time literally spent all the plat I had for it, but was totally worth it.

You're thinking it might have had a drain on its original original release?
  8. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Indeed. I am thinking it has a mana drain and that was pulled at some point before or shortly after Velious. It's just hard to prove either way since most people were in the same boat as you. They didn't get 60 and Torpor until a bit into Velious. Not many were 50 on Kunark release and many forget how much time grinding 50-60 took if you were grouping the whole way, with hybrids eating up your exp etc.

So very few were 60 mid Kunark and I'm guessing not too many Torpor spell scrolls were floating around either. If you look through FoH's archive of screenshots you'll see their first romp through VP their cleric is like 55/56ish. Pretty typical of many in their raid.
    feiddan likes this.
  9. Sowslow Elder

Couldn't find the CDs, sorry can't help out anymore.
    Maybe someone else still has theirs?
  10. telechir Elder

The Fury/Voice of the Berserker line originally had a mana drain. It was the "all in" self melee buff for shaman. When you cast it, your mana was slowly drained but your melee stats were increased (it never really did much though), so you burned your mana out meleeing instead of casting. It was changed sometime during Kunark I believe to no longer drain mana, but instead locked out your spell gems for a while after casting (but was available to cast after memming it); and later on it was changed again to have a 30 second lockout after memming/casting. Presently it is basically a 30 AC buff, if you want to take the time to mem it and wait for it to pop, with stats that don't help because your probably overcapped.

I don't remember Torpor ever having a mana drain. Possibly in the posts quoted, the poster was mixing up some of the effects of Torpor and Voice of the Berserker?
  11. Feradach Augur

It's pretty easy to prove actually. Below is the lucy link to the spell's history. Unless I'm missing something, there has never been a mana drain component to this particular spell.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1576&source=Live
  12. Darchon_Xegony Augur

If only it were so easy.

Look at the entry date on that Lucy data. Infact, look at the entry date on any classic-Luclin spell. You'll find they are all entered into Lucy in March of 2002 (1-2 years after the scope the OP was curious about). That is because Lucy / Allakahazam didn't mine spell data until then.

You may use it as evidence to suggest that "By Luclin, this spell had no mana drain". However Lucy/Alla are useless to say what the spell effects were before that point in time.
    feiddan likes this.
  13. Zentara Augur

Umm, it's been a *long* time of course, but Kunark didn't come with a level increase as far as I am aware, so how are people talking about being level 60 in Kunark?

I started playing just about a week after Kunark came out, and the level cap was definitely 50 for my first year of play.
  14. Berrad_Bounty Journeyman

Classic was 50, kunark brought lvl 60. You may have taken awhile to get to high enough to have noticed, but kunark certainly was lvl 60 cap
  15. Feradach Augur

nm
  16. Zentara Augur

Ok, I stand corrected :)