Can't login, I am getting "Error: Unknown Error Occured"

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fizzer, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fizzer Journeyman

Can't login, I am getting "Error: Unknown Error Occured".
  2. tmpfitter New Member

I get this msg too ... first i get the patcher to open with the grey spinning working icon .. then i get a black screen.. if i click around on this black screen it says "error: unknown error occured" on 2 lines .. i cannot get on any www.everquest.anything or any www.soe.anything web pages on that pc .. any clue? i have tried many things with no luck .. i am not a hack but i am quite skilled at pcs .. the machine in question is running windows 8 , all drivers are up to date as is windows .. i have tried with anti v off on gamemode .. i have laid my self open to hacks and dropped all firewalls and pws and still i cannot connect to anything that has anything to do with eq on any official site .. i can use alla and the traders page np. i can do anything else on the web but play eq or connect to one of the official web sites. HELP PLZ thx .
    - - also if i run eq in xp compatablity mode i get that the server is not answering my send (in many more words) and when i tell the browser to trouble shoot our connection to your soe and everquest forums pages it gives me the same msg .. i send you all do not accept the connection and deny me. what gives hehe.. help plz k thx.
  3. Scila Augur

Getting the same thing today after patch on both comps one went to black screen the other tried once then refused info and now just spins third comp gets black box. Nothing changed here just what happened yesterday and my trader stayed online fine thru that. Whats up?
  4. Scila Augur

Ps not an acct issue I can log in via phone and do this
  5. faya Lorekeeper

This is how you can fix it without using Sony's crap DNS... Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center - In the left pane at the top you want to select "Change Adapter Settings" -> Right click on your Local Area Connection (or whichever shows a connected state) and select Properties -> Double click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select the bubble for "Use the following DNS address".

Input Google's DNS as preferred and Alternate if you wish - i got mine working just using the preferred.

Preferred: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate: 8.8.4.4

No need to restart your computer, just relaunch EQ and it will connect.
    Potawatomi likes this.
  6. faya Lorekeeper

And by the way, all 4 of my toons stayed online through this issue - i wasn't impacted until i tried to zone. As soon as that happened, i was stuck and could no longer login until i made the above adjustment.

I tried editing my host file and the ipconfig /flushdns and nothing worked. Manually inputting Google's DNS address solved the issue.

Today i learned that Sony can't pay it's bills either.
  7. Potawatomi Augur

Thank you for this. Also, thanks to everyone who has also posted work arounds since SoE couldn't be bothered with helping their own paying player base.
  8. JChan Developer

Unfortunately we haven't been posting workarounds since we can't officially support them. Also we're not permitted to retweet or advocate any particular work around. Please understand that we do want to assist our players with this, but officially we are barred from doing so.

What I can say is if you do a ping to everquest.com and it resolves to 64.37.171.44 then your DNS has been updated and you should no longer have connection issues.
    Iila likes this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I find it strange you are not allowed to help your customers.

I also found it very annoying that SOE never posted a separate blog post somewhere (not at any sony.com address since those are what people can't reach) explaining a work-around for this issue. So, the reason why is you are not allowed?

Who is not allowing you to do so and why? Note: I don't expect you to answer this because you would not be allowed to. The real question is why someone in authority believes that it would have been wrong to email all your customers as soon as possible after the incident explaining what happened and providing a work-around until it resolves itself.

We get email telling us about new Marketplace sales and Landmark plugs. But you can't send out one about what we really care about?

Instead you have extremely frustrated customers who can't play your games for days. Every player that gets frustrated has plenty of other options for MMORPGs. The failure of SOE to actively work on making EQ and their other games less frustrating is costing SOE money. SOE can't afford to ignore problems and issues if it wants to stay business.

But this is an issue that has been happening for many many years. And SOE is still in business, abet EQ has lost hundreds of thousands of players during that time. So maybe you guys know what you are doing. But when I talk to my guildmates, they don't seem to admire the way SOE does things...
  10. Roshen Brand Manager

We've done everything we can on our end to clear up these issues for our players. Now it's just a matter of time until each player's individual ISP updates correctly so they can connect correctly to SOE games, websites and/or forums.

As mentioned above, it's NOT a matter of not wanting to help our customers. We've resolved the problem on our end, and now it's just a matter of time until this resolves things for each user that's still being affected by this.

Depending on each user, changing or manipulating something with your ISP or assigned DNS could cause additional problems for you. Because of this, we can't comment on work-arounds or help our users troubleshoot with them :(
  11. jeskola pheerie

i flushed my toilet and was able to login after! probably a coincidence though.
  12. Mary Poppins Augur

Unfortunately in this day and age you gotta cya. I don't blame them at all for not commenting on the workarounds.

(I save my rage for other things that are under their control, like creating asslings/gnomes, nerfing wizards, or not paying bills...)
    Obiziana likes this.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't see any reason there was no email at least explaining what happened. But I did get email telling me to sign up for Landmark....

Apparently, the password to SOE's email service is held only by the marketing department.

I'm going to drop this whole issue and never discuss it again. There is no point in my complaining about it. SOE and I just do not see things the same way. And that is fine.
  14. feiddan Augur

Smed responded on Twitter (https://twitter.com/j_smedley):

15. Quatr Augur

Unfortunately, I have to agree with whoever came up with this policy. Telling tens of thousands of users, some of whom are not particularly computer-savvy, to change their DNS settings would mean asking for all kinds of trouble down the road.
  16. Obiziana Augur

Did the email end up in Aristo's inbox or something?
  17. idej Augur

I was able to log on yesterday and now a patch is trying to download and I get this message. What is going on.
  18. Paps New Member

I keep trying to log in and it stops at 19KB at most then throws up this ERROR
    Unable to write to Exception: Cannot open file - C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/EverQuest/EQGraphicsDX9.dll (13) - http://eq.patch.station.sony.com/patch/sha/eq/eq.sha.zs/5c/c39/ba0fec0621549bdbfcaafcf5a47f0c2808e. The file may be in use or you may lack the necessary permissions to install.

cant log in at all now
    Also I just logged out to run the patcher as the world message said so I was on just a little while ago have been on all day.
    idej likes this.
  19. Paps New Member

idej likes this.
  20. JChan Developer

This error usually occurs when something still has a lock on the file. The easiest way to resolve this is to reboot your computer and try running LaunchPad again.