Plane of War - Failure or diamond in the rough

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shimazuul, Jun 4, 2014.

1. FcsevenXIII Augur

If they remove the restrictions I would consider going there. Changing game rules for one zone is both a slippery slope and an easy fix for a complex issue. I recommend everyone boycott it on principle.
    CaptAmazing likes this.
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Up to Judi, I concur. It can be done with a merc and the rest of the group wearing group gear, but probably not every time. The transition from trash mob to Judi has to happen right, and the group will have to play magnificently.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Marshall Maathers Augur

What are these game rules you speak of? Named have always had the ability to make certain tactics more, less, or not at all useful. There is no universal law that states all abilities have to work everywhere.
  4. CaptAmazing Augur

Sounds like fun..bet I'll have get people to a take number because the line will be so long to join the group.
  5. Whulfgar Augur

The various Circles of .. are worth it period. (my opinion) Rather then attempt to do older raids, that have even harder mechanic's .. You can literally head to this zone with 3grps + (half boxes mind you) and get yourself a Circle of clicky .. (Circle of 4 btw, not 1, or 2, or 3, but the best in game Circle of clickes period)

Raids by the very definition are not grp content, so your point about the raid being a bust .. from "group" content perspective = no logic.

Leave it as it stands. Its 1 zone out of literally hundreds, just because something can not be Pet tanked by everyone's alt ubber 101 pet class, means its broken.

I am not like most .. When I say I enjoy the challenge of the content they put forth, I do not then complain when it comes out harder then anticipated, an cry .. an cry .. an whine an whine , for them to nerf it ..

I was first on server, to down all keys for Plane of war, (with boxes, and help from friends) and absolutely think it is one of thee BEST challenges in game to truly TEST .. the skill of players, who "claim" to want harder content .. only to cry / whine .. when said content is pushed out ..

DO NOT NERF PLANE OF WAR ! !
  6. Falos Augur

I'll preface this by saying I don't think devs should bother nerfing this zone either (especially with level 105 presumably a few months away) that being said, most people that claim the absolutely love a challenge don't truly love the challenge, they love the perceived prestige of the accomplishment. I've noticed many people will actually approach this content that is designed for 1 raid geared group of players with multiple groups, named mobs made for like 6 players will end up being killed by 7,8,9,10, or in some cases 2-3 full groups of raid geared players.

Sometimes players will say they want a challenge but then approach it with way more power than what it is tuned for just so they can be like "hey look at what i can do, i'm amazing' :p

I personally think it's all silly though, the zone did have some fun moments but also has some tedious aspects, I dont think the devs should change it though, they should leave it as is.

And yeah like you mentioned anything that requires a raid or more than one group isnt really "group content" like for example the grandmaster in the plane of war is basically 'small scale raid' content, I'm sure some people might nitpick me for not having killed it yet even though i normally complete all group content just fine but he has yet to be killed by 6 group geared players and probably wont be at level 100 :p
  7. Edrick Augur

Not all the time. Certainly not against the two commanders and Rolfron, but some you c- wait, you aren't allowing me to reply. dang
  8. Tarrin Augur

I never started the silly thing.

People complain that PoWar is not able to be used by 90% or more of the population. People complain that because pet tanking is not viable for the nameds, they will never enter the zone. People complain that only raiders are able to get anything done in PoWar.

When an alternate route is shown that does not use pet tanking or raid gear, it is being thrown to the side as silly. That was YOUR line.
  9. Tarrin Augur

Oh I agree, I never meant to infer you can complete every single thing in PoWar. Just stating that you can in fact get the flagging done for 90% of the zone, as well as down a few of the lesser nameds if you are so inclined.

But apparently people who raid are liars.
  10. Orbital101 Augur

PoWar is more then fine at is... The only thing that is not is that EQ doesnt have enough hardcore players...
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I would.

In fact, I literally paid millions of plat to help my friends get into FoStrife quickly.

I don't know why anyone else logs in, but me, I like to play well with well-played friends. It has almost nothing to do with loot, XP, or "achievements." I suppose I do enjoy bragging about playing better than most, but that's not why I log into the game either.

I remember back at level 60, my guild was preparing to take on Sontalak for our first Sleeper's Tomb key. The preparations were slow and deliberate so that we'd have our best shot at defeating this big dragon. I was just about to start the countdown to engagement when nearly 180 raiders of a triumvirate of foreign guilds ran past and steamrolled it on their way to their Temple of Veeshan raid. It was amazing to watch, like a high-speed time-lapse of bugs eating every speck of flesh from a skeleton.

Eventually coming back at level 65 with 17 people (our 18th was lost elsewhere in the zone for the entire event) and beating Sontalak for the first time with my new guild, down to the point where my wife was the only player left alive, but Sontalak was running from her, and getting to watch her defeat him while cursing myself for not having cleared the other dragons nearby first, is probably my favorite memory of this game, because we had exactly as much capability as we needed to win the encounter and not an iota more. If any of us had done any less, we'd have failed.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL one zone out of literally thousands. Yes like everyone goes playing all those old zones out there. Get real its one zone of the reduced content SOE has given us this year.
  13. MrFlik Journeyman

One can only go by the numbers and those tell me it quickly became a failure. The better question is why did it flop?

I think mostly due to the requirement of the PoE drops, the incredible flags for two castles bottleneck, followed by the OMG HOW MUCH faction needed to do the quests required. Seriously for a group of players those stages are enough to sap the will to live.

The various mob effects made it difficult when your group did not have the right class or you had the wrong class. But, well, you can work around it most of the time.

Honestly I think the best zones have been the ones that start of medium but get progressively harder are the best. Have consistent to the current era of EQ loot.

The ones that are just hard from start to end will always end up quickly as a graveyard zone. They also tend to have the most chances of I don't need that loot to.
  14. Marshall Maathers Augur

I highly anticipate hearing the numbers you are referring to, and the methodology used for analyzing them to come to that conclusion.
  15. Edrick Augur

Plane of War is a unique zone and we haven't seen one like it in a decade. Those of us that enjoy zones like that were thrown a single bone in 2014. If you don't like War, I still think you're going to be okay.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  16. Edrick Augur

It flopped? Really? Crap. I guess I will delete the items I've and others have looted from there and erase the memory of the dozens of hours I've spent in there, because I clearly hated it. You've tricked me for the last time, Plane of War.
  17. Makavien Augur

[IMG]

Post a sever screenshot and well see how sucessful it is and yeah like dont pad the numbers.

You seen another wasted zone in Voa - ->> Sepulcher of Order

I know of 1 server with 3 of the best guilds in the game that has progressed in powar hey look its the one you all are on.
    Smallpox likes this.
  18. Slasher Augur

Nothing wrong with a hard zone at all. There is something wrong with the reward to difficulty ratio in the zone. It just simply is not worth the trouble.
  19. Makavien Augur

The benefits of progressing to the final named is not worth it for 11 out of the 12 people that go. And you have to keep the same 12 - 18 people there all the time to even get to that point. If I wanted to run weekend mini raids I would . I do have a plan to try every other weekend once my back quits throbbing as much as it is . But its very low on my priority list if you want a real challenge go solo last years raids. Or spend 3 months twinking an alt out at each hard level curve and see what raids you can defeat 3 boxing. That was the only challenge once you figure out mechanics in the entire game or corpse retrieving from pofear.
  20. Marshall Maathers Augur

I didn't take any screenshots, but my log file does have a copy of many of my queries of who is in PoW. Doesn't look like a fail to me.

[Fri May 02 20:46:02 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Fri May 02 20:46:02 2014] There are 78 players in EverQuest.

[Sat May 03 17:59:27 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sat May 03 17:59:27 2014] There are 45 players in EverQuest.

[Tue May 06 22:51:07 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Tue May 06 22:51:07 2014] There are 18 players in EverQuest.

[Sun May 18 14:07:05 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sun May 18 14:07:05 2014] There are 25 players in EverQuest.

[Mon May 19 12:37:07 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Mon May 19 12:37:07 2014] There are 23 players in EverQuest.

[Tue May 20 14:02:51 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Tue May 20 14:02:51 2014] There are 21 players in EverQuest.

[Wed May 21 16:38:04 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Wed May 21 16:38:04 2014] There are 14 players in EverQuest.

[Sat May 24 19:37:12 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sat May 24 19:37:12 2014] There are 60 players in EverQuest.

[Sun May 25 00:35:51 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sun May 25 00:35:51 2014] There are 38 players in EverQuest.

[Mon May 26 11:12:32 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Mon May 26 11:12:32 2014] There are 20 players in EverQuest.

[Tue May 27 06:10:41 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Tue May 27 06:10:41 2014] There are 23 players in EverQuest.

[Thu May 29 13:39:12 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Thu May 29 13:39:12 2014] There are 14 players in EverQuest.

[Sat May 31 21:41:51 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sat May 31 21:41:51 2014] There are 11 players in EverQuest.

[Sun Jun 01 16:19:11 2014] [100 Imperator (Warrior)] Maathers (Ogre) <Realm of Ages> ZONE: powar
    [Sun Jun 01 16:19:11 2014] There are 26 players in EverQuest.
    Iila and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.