Thrown - Can we buff it?!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gortar, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Jyve Augur

More models used (love the idea of books).
    Particle effects spraying off as they're flying
    Light sources put back in again (/mourn Ton Po tracer fire)
    % chance for debuffs/large procs/aoe boom/stuns/richochet
    Double/Triple/Flurries/pew pew pews!

AA's to increase chance for some reagents not to be used as much (ok, that's pure game mechanics)
    AA's to increase range/speed.

Free target throwing of items too, autofire in that area you know a few mobs are and hope for a crit aoe boom

More in-game chase items that are clicky throwing summoners.

But more than anything.
    The lightsource.
  2. fransisco Augur

Guess I haven't played that game.
    But in eq, how would a ranged tank work, since most mobs only deal melee, not ranged damage?
  3. Gortar Augur

Range Tanking is a fun idea, but I don't believe it would be viable in the current EQ (dev time etc.). Adding abilities (double, triple, etc.) might be feasible. Adding new ranged items should be very feasible!

PLEASE!! =D
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sounds like the Discord Tower raid, where wizzys had agro so the melee could do damage without getting hit. I used to enjoy that raid, only time I was allowed the SK agro buff :)

<3 rooted unsummoning mobs :)
  5. Fendy Augur

6. Axxius Augur

I want a flame thrower.
  7. Makavien Augur

Dual wield flame throwers ftw!
  8. Gortar Augur

Axxius, I can't believe I am saying this, but that would be kinda neat :>. I already have gnome rpgs, why not a flame thrower? :!
  9. Braveheart Augur

Every class can throw if i'm not mistaken, but Rogue (Poisons) and Berserker (Physical) are supposed to be the masters of throwing. I think Berserker's take the lead. Most of their gear comes with throwing mods (Gloves for sure). Many of their skills are throwing based? I think buffing these 2 classes; Rogue's with some explosive poisons, and Berserker's with some awesome damage/ratio spears would give back some ability to solo. Since they recently got nerfed, they could become hybrid kite class's and add some depth and fun to the classes.
  10. Yesway Augur

I thought they got a tweak, not so much a nerf. They allowed they decap/assassinate to work on higher level mobs but at a reduced rate. A nerf would have been just a reduction in proc rate.
    Sinestra likes this.
  11. MrGPAC Augur

Lets play with some numbers here...on the conservative side.

A rogue in 20 seconds of melee dps at a conservative number of 80k dps: 1.6 million damage.

A rogue doing 800 dps throwing shurikans or arrows at a mob would take over half an hour to match that 20 seconds of melee dps.

Then take into account the devs constant desires to make melee dps detrimental. For instance:

Xorbb 1: One mob has aoe rampage + aoe knockback, other one has an ability where ONE dps not backing out/ducking = your tank explodes and dies. Open area, no real corners. Can't even go AFK throwing stuff cuz there are emotes that will wipe the raid if you aren't paying attention at all.

Xorbb 2: Huge damage shields + Aoe rampage (not even getting into the regular rampage which is hard to control). Round room, no real corners, taken further from center is detrimental.

Karana 2: Yeah sure, some guilds can have tanks take 109k quads...but that isn't really the standard. Dragon tanking = no melee dps....Best bet is likely rotating some deflection/fort/weaponshield tanks in every few minutes to allow your dps to burn discs every 5 or so minutes.

Some raids where they throw dps a bone (i.e. a reason to not want to gouge their eyes out/afk):

Dead Hills 1: Not only does mob have huge aoe rampage (something I don't want to get into in and of itself), but being near the tank is bad (increases chances they get hit by the dot). At least they gave them meaningless targets to kill...of course 4 groups of melee aren't really required to keep maggots down, but hey...its something for them to do.

A feast for zalikor: At least they get drakes to kill on platforms...sometimes. Otherwise they are twiddling their thumbs.

Ranged dps only events don't make things any harder...they just make them more boring for half the dps out there. Either consider buffing ranged dps for the poor melee class to the point where they are as beneficial to the guild in the guild hall as they are in the zone, or consider stop making events that alienate half your dps classes.

~MrGPAC
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I thought monks were the master throwers
  13. Sinestra Augur

They have them in Guild Wars 2.
  14. Gortar Augur

Sinesta, Guild wars 2 isn't nearly as fun as Guild Wars 1 ;(.

Ive taken to throwing as a moloing treelord. I have found that throwing (belt of mysterious daggers thanks to a buddy!), my normal dps disc/aa/abilities, and casting, I can almost match the dps of just using an off hand weapon meleeing. This has taken my 5+ minute pet tanking (with a healer merc not a wiz merc.. I suck at healing) down to 3.5 minutes ish! Huge improvement!

Since I am doing alot of this, it got me to thinking about why no one EVER uses thrown weapons. Even zerkers/rogues only do it for the AA use (kinda like most rangers say bows are only good for headshot damage, that melee damage is always preferable to bow damage). I have always found it .. lets say odd .. that most thrown/ammo slots are stat items and not actually USED.

Bring back the use of thrown/ammo slots devs!
  15. Sinestra Augur

I agree in a lot of ways, however there are a lot of things in GW2 that are far better than GW1.
  16. Yesway Augur

You have to take into account the difference in your normal dps vs that of the raid geared dps. Raid geared are using the same throwing item as you *typically* and are doing pretty much the same dps as you with the throwing item. That means in comparison to their normal melee dps there is a pretty significant loss. Also, we are talking about pure melee not a hybrid that has the ability to cast spells + have pet damage + throw items. Please understand, this isn't asking to have dps with throwing = to dps melee, as that would be very out of balance. It would be nice if it was at least a respectable percentage of regular melee dps.
  17. Gortar Augur

I just want to make it fun. I wouldn't ask for throwing to equal my melee dps. I don't believe that thrown even with double/triple/flurry would even match my off hand dps (with current thrown items). And that is well under 1/3 of my total melee dps (ignoring spells/pets). I think it would add another dynamic that was lost long ago in EQ back to the game.

I appreciate the good comments folks :)
  18. roth Augur

Rangers have double attack archery through AA's. So, it is possible.

Personally, I'd like to see a form of Endless Quiver given to everyone. The Ranger's EQ given to everyone who can use a bow, and an "Endless Bandolier" for everyone to use with throwing.

EQ made full scale archery economically viable for a Ranger. It would also make it economically viable for the other bow-using classes. A thrown version of it would be more of a convenience factor than anything else (though that 100 damage 20 delay shuriken could have to be nerfed, or just not work with it; it is significantly better than the Well Balanced Throwing Knife's 53 damage 15 delay) seeing as most people use summoned junk to throw : summoned daggers, a zerker's summoned axes, summoned starfish, etc.

The game's balance would not be affected, either. Bow using classes getting EQ for the first time lack a ton of the AA's that make a Ranger's archery so effective (and even with them, Ranger archery is relatively lackluster compared to melee), so their archery dps would go from "absolutely pathetic" to "barely better than absolutely pathetic". For throwing, there would be no change in dps at all, as aside from that aforementioned 5.000 ratio shuriken, the best throwing stuff is summoned and already being used.
  19. Gortar Augur

That sounds like a Yes devs please do this to me Roth :D
  20. Gragas Augur

Would rather have the mobs not have "anti melee get close to me and die mechanics" than buffing throwing anything? Then again current throwing options for berserkers is like throwing rocks at fully armored tanks, it may be fun and different but not really effective or fun.