noob mage level 100

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Kindaaniel, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Kindaaniel Journeyman

Ok I just PL my mage to 100 and used auto grant AA (so glad they have that now). My question is what's the best spell set for tanking and can someone recommend how I should set up my 2 main hot bars.any advice or input would be great.
    Thanks
  2. Duron New Member

I would like to second your question. I'm working on a Bard/Mage combo, and I'm a mage n00b too! I asked a similar question on eqmagetower.com and Potawatomi was nice enough to explain some burn hotkeys (see below). Anyway, I would appreciate any hotkey help... even what's tied to your assist key!

/alt activate 1370
    /alt activate 621
    /alt activate 774
    /alt activate 515

So thats First Spire, Fire Core, Empowered Focus of Arcanum and Improved twincast. If I'm burning I'll pop Silent casting before all of these.

Can make a separate one for Intensity and Glyph which would be

/alt activate 487
    /alt activate 7019

Pet Burn
    Frenzied /alt activate 60
    Virulent Talon /alt activate 323

You can find other Alt activation Codes here -http://www.eqmagetower.com/wiki/Alternate_Advancement
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  3. Cone head Augur

I really hate to say this but....Have you looked through the existing threads?...
    Mintalie likes this.
  4. Potawatomi Augur

There really isn't, in my experience a tank spell line up. If it's something your having problems with keeping up Aegis of Kildrukaun is beneficial since you'll have the spell and AA version. Most of the things that are going to help you tank are activated AAs.Host in the Shell, foritfy companion, second wind etc.

For hot bars, it's really personal preference. I keep 4 up and I have 2 more that i cycle thru on the main hotbar. Some advice though would be to keep your burn dps AA on one hot bar, First spire, Elemental Union, Fire Core, Silent casting, empowered focus of arcanum. Then I have host of elements, servant of ro, frenzied burnout, virulent talon and Forceful rejuvenation. The other two slots are where I keep my BP click and CoM click. My main has Improved twincast then spells so that if I'm using my multibind key i can just lazily click what I want.
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  5. Hayzeus Augur

I suspect with the autogrant we will start to see many noob players that have no clue how to efficiently use the 4000 activated AAs they receive.

There's a reason why a baby crawls, walks, and runs... in that order.

"with great power..."
  6. Duron New Member

And it's a crime to ask. Well I'm going to figure this out one way or another and then I am going to share it with everyone. Don't post again on this thread if you are not going to contribute a hotkey. I apologize to the OP for the derail. Let's get back on topic.
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  7. genaro44 Lorekeeper

I'm curious what kind of elaborate hotkeys might be of practical use other than mashing the burn button. Like, I have a hotkey that casts aegis + surge + thaumatize pet that I use out of combat but ... not exactly game changing stuff. I prefer to cluster all my various activated abilities on every unbound key so I can pick and choose. But I'm soloing / moloing and don't have anyone around to chastize me for not squeezing every last bit of efficiency from those abilities :)

I don't like linking VT and FBO to a single key because they have disparate enough reuse timers that over time you lose out not clicking them as soon as they're up. I have the same feeling about Fire Core and my tendency to "save" the burn hotkey when soloing. I swapped it with Elemental Union, which is shorter duration and not as potent, but it frees me to get the most of Fire Core, clicking it every time it pops. Again, this is strictly soloing / moloing stuff.

If I'm pet tanking something where there is a genuine chance of death, I mem a heal. Even with merc heals, can't count how many times that's saved my life.
  8. Kindaaniel Journeyman

9. Hayzeus Augur

Why do you think it's a crime to ask? I certainly don't.

Once you find the answer, I think it's reasonable for you to post it for all to know. You may want to keep it noted somewhere nearby because I doubt it's the last time the question will be asked. If you always have it at hand, you can just copy/paste it everytime the information is needed.

I think it's important to help people that don't know how to play their class. That way the whole userbase gets better. And, as stated, there are now going to be a whole lot more of those people requiring help.

oops... I posted in a thread that you told me not to. Is that okay? I know you specifically told me not to, so I just need to make sure it's okay if I post where you don't want me posting.

PS: The real noobs are the ones that never ask for the help when they desperately need it. I'd rather have toons ask for help to make themselves better than to hide their lack of skill. Those that seek the information will get better at their class much faster than those that do not seek. I'm all for it.
    Kindaaniel likes this.
  10. Kindaaniel Journeyman

This is why I am posting. So I can learn the class better without causing havoc in group.
  11. Kindaaniel Journeyman

Yes I did briefly. It sent me on a wild goose chase and in the end I didn't get what I was looking for. Old threads from 3/4 expansions ago don't really help me much anyhow
  12. ptah Augur

Welcome to the class.

The wild goose chase is not just a waste. You can learn just as much from what not to do and why as you can learn uber hotkey 003. Some players have filtered the whats whys whens etc via playing the class over time. Nothing is wrong leaping era of play. Just so have many of use shared or copied another mages ideas. Im not trying to flame or anything I hope that is not how the above comes across. I think its more of this, Modern EQ offers an option to skip a lot, I choose that option, now I want to not suck and learn as fast as possible to be up to par, or good, or great, as best as I can."

I have always tried to define my play style to create the great fun factor for myself. Only after finding that can I use other means to amp the style up or learn through others.

IMO. OP. Once the above is answered by yourself and a post for others to read that filtering process for information can narrow down a bit. There are several 95 plus mages running around with several different outlooks and play styles.

Pure solo?
    Molo superstart?
    small group with or with a PC tank?
    full group with or without support of a merc or a few of them?
    Full group non merc?
    Special set up with friends?
    Raid mage?
    Raid mage with big or small raid focus?

Not saying one mage fills in just 1 role and another my fill all or more roles. More of an attempt to filter information again.

Some of the old mages I feel not only have a few hot keys setups but also do it as a "feel"
    Yea there is a DPS set. There is a Pet is tanking high end dps mob etc.

Eqmagetower offers a lot of this information in several posts. Yes there are some sour mages and some friendly ones. In the past, I don't know another class that shares as much information as mages.
    genaro44 likes this.
  13. Duron New Member

Hayzeus has contributed ZERO hotkeys to this thread. Thank you for the lecture. And yes, I don't think you should post again. Contributing a hotkey looks like this:

My assist key needs help.

/x 1 <---- x 1 is set to be main assist's target
    /pet attack
    /potion act 1 <--- mod rod

Sometimes mod doesn't activate. Do I need pauses? Does anyone put malo on this key? Should anything else go here? Thanks.