Gimped Ranger?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cordilya, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Cordilya Elder

Hi All. I have a level 60 Half-Elf Ranger, and as I get into the higher levels, I'm having a harder and harder time staying alive with adds. My mercenary and I can't survive two blues if they're tank-type mobs that hit pretty hard. We do fine with lower levels and/or with turquoise mobs.

Is this normal for my level, or have I managed to myself somehow? Maybe it's partly because I'm a Half-Elf and not super high on hitpoints? I have pretty good armor, some Elaborate Defiant and some Flawed Defiant, and I've been working on AAs (but maybe I haven't distributed them in the smartest ways). My spells are as up to date as I can get right now, some damage, some buffs, and some roots.

Any thoughts? My mercenary is a Drakkin, btw, and I didn't know until just now that I could upgrade her to Journeyman--I've still been using Apprentice from my Silver account and just upgraded to Gold. It should help some to upgrade my merc, eh?

Thanks for any suggestions/feedback!
  2. Cordilya Elder

lol--that censored word was the same word that's in the title of this thread!
    moogs likes this.
  3. Saturion Journeyman

What zone are you fighting in? GoD/OoW zones and higher have mobs with higher hitpoint counts and hit harder. Oftentimes it is best to hit up some old world zones/dungeons like Droga/Old Seb with mobs that have much lower hp and still offer solid exp. Also Acylia caverns is still good around that level I think.
  4. Sinestra Augur

Get all elaborate defiant gear, it is a huge upgrade from flawed.

Are you tanking or is your merc?

If you are able, you might use the Journeyman tier one merc which is available to all gold members and use a tank merc to see how they do. Tank mercs at that level range can take a lot of damage and shrug it off which is why most people start with one.

If you don't like the tank idea, try a caster DPS merc and snare/root the mobs. They will make short work of everything while you sit back and range it down.
  5. Dandin Augur

So many jokes.. So many. So little time.

Seriously though more data is required
  6. Cordilya Elder

Thanks for responses so far. I've been trying to go to the Hot Zones for my level. The Bloodfields at level 58 and now Undershore at 60. Both seem to have mobs with lots of hitpoints who also hit hard.

Saturion, good advice to check out some of the old world zones.

Sinestra, I'm working on upgrading all my gear to Elaborate. Seems to be hard to find certain pieces such as the chestpiece and leggings. I got my Gold account so I could set up a trader to be able to afford higher level gear... if I can ever find it! Also, good idea to try different kinds of mercs!

Dandin--jokes? what jokes? I love jokes. :D

Thanks again everyone.
  7. Rangerdanger New Member

8. Borek-VS Augur

You have moved into more recent expansion zones than you are used to, and they hit harder and (usually) have more HP. That will be the pattern for your foreseeable future. The trick is to either learn how to avoid adds, or to work out which zones come from older expansions, and go for light blues rather than dark blues when alone.
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. moogs Augur

Yep, points all around to everyone suggesting old world zones.
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

Planes of Power zones work good that that level - I did PoNightmares at 62+ - werewolf camp.
    Yes, upgrading Merc to J1 will help - but not cure overpull survival.
    Getting single pulls, without adds, is a Rangers job. :D
    Pulling 2 yellow or red mobs will often wipe not just you - but your group. (so practice pulling singles)
    You scope out the area invised, find a safe spot to pull to, then use Harmony (lull) and pull to there.
    (Later, when you get Flusterbolt, and Harmonious Arrow, you'll have other pulling tools to use too.)
    Flagging yourself as "puller" in the group will make your Merc stay at the camp - you pull to him.
    -Rat
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

Are you using a healer or tank merc? Not sure if I saw that one.

If you haven't joined a guild yet, look for one so that it is more than you and the merc.

For other times when time constraint/lack of avail groups, consider running more than one account (shaman), or go with a caster merc (or get another merc slot for it) and kite mobs.

EQ Outrider

For most assistance/directions, visit EQ Outrider.

As mentioned, the newer the zones the harder they hit+more hitpoints. Are you running with only your buffs or getting lobby buffs? Besides HP, one of the more important ones will be a haste buff, which there are potions for that if you have not obtained an item clicky.

Create a Magelo profile. That will help us offer some more appropriate suggestions, as well as what are your goals (besides the having fun part :) )
  12. Grundged Lorekeeper

I thought eating a Death Touch was the Ranger's job, a well, its not the same game anymore i guess.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Cordilya Elder

Wow, so much great information here, thanks so much everyone.

I confess that since I am a relative newbie, some of the tips sound like another language to me. :p

What is a Magelo profile?

Also, when you speak of old world zones, I am assuming you mean from early game/expansions, such as original Antonica, Faydwer, Kunark, etc.? Please forgive my ignorance.

Answer to Sarkaukar: I'm using a tank merc. Seems like my character is too fragile to take aggro very long without dying, so I think I need to use a tank.

Because of limited time online and pretty crappy satellite connection, I don't hardly ever group. Can't do much in the Guild Hall because it's way too laggy. Would like to figure out how to survive as mainly solo for now, if possible. I know there's high-level stuff I'll want to try at some point, but I'm content with soloing until I get to the higher levels.

Thanks again for all the great tips. I'm off to check out all the links!
  14. Cordilya Elder

P.S. Using Harmony to get single pulls is a great idea. Obviously there are lots of good Ranger tricks out there that I haven't been utilizing!:)
  15. Delphwind Augur

Head over to Acrylia Caverns, up into the throne room area. I am 61 and get about 10-15aa/hour. The mobs hit like wet noodles and you can easily kill 3-4 at a time with a tank merc.

As far as DPS, i have grouped several times in the last few days at level 61 and had a few rangers that rocked my damage meter (granted I was higher as a Monk, but they were a close second even above other tier 1 DPS classes). Make sure you are using the best weapons possible, don't worry too much about armor yet, your stats will likely already be maxed from lower level Defiant gear. Try and stay away from Defiant weapons, there are much better ratio weapons available, you just have to be lucky enough to find it for sale.

Potions: Potions are your friend, and could very well be your primary plat sink as you are leveling up. Don't worry about DS potions, as most of the time your tank merc will be absorbing the damage. Get the level 60 haste potions that add 50% haste and make sure you have the best defiant belt available, which should add I think 33% haste. Also grab some Spider's Bite poison, I think the level 50 stuff hits for around 1,200 damage and can proc quite quickly as a duel wielder. Stay away from undead or anything else that may have a high poison resist.

The areas that you are trying to molo in also require some pretty decent gear and it really helps to have a few hundred AA's. Head to AC for a day or two, get everything you can then go back with the above mentioned potions and you will notice a HUGE difference.
  16. Borek-VS Augur

OK. Older content at level 60/61 means avoiding GoD/Omens and the higher PoP zones. You can use TSS (The Serpents Spine), but with care.

Your aim should be to get a full set of Elaborate Defiant, and failing that, Intricate Defiant. Elaborate Defiant weapons will be ok for now, as you can get some significant upgrades at 65 (from the Bazaar). 100+ fletching will let you make some good arrows, do the trade skill quest (free) in Crescent Reach to 54, get the fletching trophy quest from West Freeport before you increase your skill after that.

If you stick to older zones, a tank merc, A5 or J1 according to your account status, will be fine - but you'll want to swap for a healer by 70.

"Older zones/expansions" means original content, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, LDoN or Ykesha (and maybe Planes of Power). Good zones to play around in include Nurga (but only if you have headshot), Droga, Acrylia Caverns, the Hole, Howling Stones, Blackfeather Roost, Nadox, Plane of Hate, and probably a few more good spots.

You should have DS potions (but only for when you are tanking), alacrity, clarity and some cleric buffs - if you can afford to have two merc slots, take both tank and healer, and switch between them when you want the healer to buff you. Rogue poisons are good, but expensive - and only the level 60 version will be of any use, as lower level potions won't proc on the mobs you will be fighting.

Get some AAs if you don't have many; and if you do, get more. Max out the level 55 AAs (CA, CS, CF, etc), and get the important level 59 ones for ranger - AM3, EQ. The 61-65 AAs are also very powerful.
  17. Rangerdanger New Member

Now, all the other ideas listed are solid for any class. But since you mostly solo, please please please at least TRY headshotting like i said in the post before. Its just so much exp so fast at that level, your power leveling yourself with such little effort its unreal. And since you are still low level, you dont have the AoE root, just a single target root spell. Which is GREAT considering you are just learning to HS, and have poopy internet.
  18. Saturion Journeyman

Rangerdanger is level 61 the highest you can be for headshotting in Nurga? My ranger is level 63 and I am doing full AA to get headshot and am wondering if I would still get exp there...
  19. Rangerdanger New Member

Yes, but ull get less exp then a 61 would. Worth checking out however. check out the headshot guide i posted near the top (Not mine, props to bowandarrow.org!). I stopped to HS AA grind at 61 (nurga) 71 (Blackfeather Roost) 79 and 81 (Plane of Fire, C1 and C2). Also since your solo and dont even need a merc once you get the hang of it, the loot is AMAZING (from the places i listed).
  20. Cordilya Elder

Wow, awesome information and tips. This is getting to be kinda like an all-purpose "Ranger levelling at 60" guide. I'm excited to get online tonight and try some of these ideas out. Definitely going for Headshot and Master Archer AAs. Will try going to Acrylia Caverns and working on AAs some more.

You all have sent me scrambling to look up acronyms! (GoD = Gates of Discord, LDon = Lost Dungeons of Norrath, in case any other newbie readers need to know.)

I've been working on my fletching skill and almost have it maxed out in Crescent Reach. I've heard/read that it's not all that valuable now as it was years ago, but I figured I'd do it anyway. Wasn't sure how to keep levelling it after I finish in Crescent Reach, many thanks to Borek for tip on fletching quest in West Freeport.

I love this game. It's just incredibly deep and interesting.