How come?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Valk, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Valk Journeyman

I see we can "thumbs up" a post, but why can't we do a thumbs down?

I not saying post negative comments, but if someone posts something silly or we do not agree with, how come we cannot do a thumbs down.(I'm looking at you Piestro).
  2. Sinestra Augur

We've had this answered before I think. It really boils down to them being afraid people will get their feelings hurt if you ask me. I'm sure they think that by thuming something down it will cause arguments, but it isn't any worse than letting people just voice their disagreement rather than thumbing it down.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Falos Augur

I'm glad there is not a dislike button, i'd never be able to get anything done in EQ because i'd be too busy having to push the dislike button on every post that warranted it.
  4. Axxius Augur

5. Valk Journeyman

Personal attack???? Really??

Thumbs down...?

Personal?

REALLY?
    So when I am doing a thumbs up, am I giving the person a hug?

Crap, this probably qualifies as a personal attack!

I take it all back!~
    Elricvonclief, silku and JacklSK like this.
  6. Sinestra Augur

Criticism can literally be good or bad. Thumbs up is as much criticism as a thumbs down. Regardless, disliking someone's comment, idea, or post is not personal nor critical of an individual.
  7. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

In theory, downvoting would be a deterrent to posting offensive, non-contributing posts.

In reality, downvoting makes posts into a popularity contest. People are just as likely to downvote inane, inflammatory posts as they are to downvote a well thought out critique of someone else's ideas. "I don't like what this person has to say, and I'm going to voice that disagreement by downvoting it." When its as easy as clicking one thing, not very much thought is going into whether or not you should do it. The resulting effect is that downvoting acts as punishment to people who do not agree with you. It wouldn't take long for people who disagree with the majority to stop posting, making the forum rather one-sided in opinions, which is unhealthy for everyone.
    Kurayami likes this.
  8. Kurayami Augur

I agree with Sirene_Fippy, being able to dislike would be no real benefit here. I can see it's uses on monster sites like youtube and that sort of thing, but I much prefer that people who disagree with your point of view to have to type it out if they want it known. The crowd here is small enough we can do it that way much better. This game has always been more about community than most anyways.
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

There is a difference between "Your idea is bad" and "you are a bad person"
    Leerah, Valk and Sinestra like this.
  10. Falos Augur

I think there is a difference between a dislike button and downvoting. jokes aside a dislike button wouldn't be all that bad.

Downvoting however is literally the dumbest idea in the entire existence of the internet and reddit single handedly proves it.

Reddit has some of the most psychologically unstable posting 'fads' i've ever seen in the past 20 years, they will literally vote a totally decent post down into oblivion just because the topic creator didn't reference an inside joke on the forums or end their post with a certain "code word" It's insane.. it truly is insane.
  11. Sinestra Augur

It has exactly the same benefit as thumb upping. Exactly.
  12. Piestro Augur

When we were implementing the forums I had the like button turned off initially. It's only there because it provides a way for people to subscribe to threads, otherwise I'd nuke it too. It provides no qualitative data, and forums are self selecting data sources so they can't be relied on for quantitative data.
  13. Edrick Augur

I am liking this post, just to spite you.
  14. A-Quad Augur

Why have you not responded to a single one of the dozen or so UCS stability threads in the last 2 weeks?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  15. Hatsee Augur

Because no one liked them enough for him to respond.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Mykaylla and Leerah like this.
  16. Piestro Augur

Unfortunately there is a limit to the number of things I can address at a single time. Plus we've had a holiday weekend and my wife has bronchitis and possible pneumonia. It's been rough but I hadn't gotten a PM about it (that I saw) until today. I'll look into it.
  17. Rouan Augur

Rouan disliked this post.
    Sinestra, Mykaylla and Elricvonclief like this.
  18. Fendy Augur

Would liking an unstable game feature be considered a negative criticism?
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I use it rather than just post a "Me Too" or "I agree" post. I assume that SOE doesn't like posts that really contain no useful information and the Like button was part of the idea to reduce those kinds of posts.

I also hope that when Devs see a bunch of likes on a post they think maybe there are a number of people who agree with it.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Sorry to hear about your wife. I offer you both best wishes.

As for the UCS, I thought the many posts and threads about it over the past few months was more than enough to let SOE know about the issue. Never mind the fact that if anyone at SOE actually plays EQ it is rather difficult to not notice the massive spamming as the UCS goes up and down every few seconds.

I guess in the future I'll just PM you about this kind of thing rather than assume that someone at SOE knows.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.