Level 50, bored and alone. Does it get better?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by MerlinManson13, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MerlinManson13 New Member

I was bored of WoW so I figured I'd try EQ. The first few cave levels were fun. There were lots of quests and people everywhere to group with. Crescent Reach, which I was at from levels 10-15 I think, was roughly the same. Then I wen to the Estate of Unrest from levels 15-25 or so, just because of nostalgia (I had a level 20-something druid on my dad's account when I was like 5, Estate was my favorite zone.) No quests, and only one person entered throughout the several hours I was there. He said everyone was in the hotspots. So I checked out the hotspots. Been grinding through the hotspots for 25 levels now. NOBODY to be found. No quests, raids, dungeons, nothing. Just zone after zone of lonely grinding. I haven't even gotten a new spell in ages. Just updates of the ones I had 20 levels ago. (Necromancer.) Does it ever get better? Are there people or quests anywhere? Or is the game really this much of a bore? Help!
  2. Helrazor Augur

The game is pretty much what you make of it, there so many zones in the game. If your bored change up as for quests there are thousands. Check out http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
  3. drkoli Augur

Sadly with the game being 14 years old the low levels are for the most part people making new toons and blowing thru levels.

Once you get into the 70's it should get better for you but the next 10-20 levels will probably be lonely and boring
  4. Putrify Elder

Hot Zones tend to have populations at most levels, but they can be more quick-travelers leveling-through, rather than the old-school grind which was days-and-days in the same zone.

Sometimes, the easiest or only way to get a group is to advertise it in general. Just state that you're a level 50 LFG, or would be able to start a group in whatever zone you're in. You'll likely get some takers.

I just recently came back to the game, and got my Necro from 31 (was a lot of work back-in-the-day) to 67 (pretty quick and fun). Have grouped some, but mostly checked out old spots for fun (Sea Fury island with a tank merc, and you can get a lot of AA's at 51), and moved on to Acrylia Caverns for a bit (good for leveling to 58 or so, and also AAs and plat--the weapons sell for over 100pp each), and then I think Barren Coast next (several quests...some of which I'm still working on). Did go to a dozen other zones just for fun, too.

But, my Necro and Druid were always my (mostly) solo toons. Now they're my (mostly) molo toons.

If you're on Drinal, look me up on Saturdays--I've got several toons around 50 and I'll group with ya.
  5. Doinar New Member

Population and Grouping issues aside - there are quite a few quests available at all levels. If you follow the Hero´s Journey it will give you an overarching quest-line from level 1-85. If you type /ach to bring up your achievements window you can see the heros journey tab.
    It is just one of many paths available, so especially at the lower levels there are multiple zones and quests outside of the Hero´s Journey to follow - yet for a beginner it would be wise to follow the heros journey especially considering the extra items on top of the quest rewards that you get from completing Hero´s Journey quest lines.
  6. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Some servers are more populated than others. Vox is best for low levels, others, like Bertoxxulous, are better for max level.
  7. Borek-VS Augur

If you enjoyed Gloomingdeep, then you should follow the Hero's Journey quest series through Crescent Reach and Blightfire. Use the book you were given when you left Gloomingdeep to find out what are the best quests for you to start.

Most people probably do go to the hot zones for the Franklin Teek quests, but these are mostly done solo until the 80+ quests. Levelling is very fast, solo and with a merc, until at least 70. It doesn't make much sense to group up at these levels because it is so fast.

If you want to meet people and group, then there are two things you need to do: join an active family guild, and invite people to join your group (that means to go to a spot, then ask in guild and general chats if anyone would like to join you).
  8. Feistmeister Journeyman

Though I hesitate to suggest it ... if you are still not in a guild, you can ask in general chat if you can join a group so you can fast level ... I don't like the concept of power-leveling as most practice it because I feel it leads to weak characters ... but, tagging along with a group that is as high as you can group with is a way to level up fast ... risky if you draw attention to yourself ... but fast ...

Just recognize that the character you are running is going to be high in level, low in AA and low in skill numbers requiring remedial work ...
  9. Mithrandyr Augur

Hero's journey is a path made for new and returning players as a fun journey to the high levels where most people group. You will probably find a lot more company doing these tasks than the hotzones, at least until the high levels where people start grouping. I would suggest doing a /who all 45 60 to find all the players level 45 to 60 and start sending them tells to start up a group. There are people out there but EQ is huge now. I think we are closing in on 900 zones now, including instances, but still.