Gaming Mouse in EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Velora, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Velora Journeyman

Has anyone tried to use the razer naga or the logitech G600 in EQ? Wanting to pick up a mouse of the sort, and wasn't sure if they could be fully utilized in EQ. Anyone tried these gaming mouse (12-20 buttons) and had success? Or were you unable to use all the buttons? Thanks in advance.
  2. yozhik New Member

not nedded
  3. Malacath Journeyman

i like my g600 its nice having things like fd whisperwind pet attack and such on thumb buttons
    tho i really only use the upper 6 thumb buttons
  4. Velora Journeyman

So it does function inside EQ? I was slightly worried that it just wouldn't work with eq, and would be a wasted purchase.
  5. Geroblue Augur

My plain USB mouse works fine with EQ. No need to spend the money on something fancy.
  6. Falos Augur

gaming keyboard is more beneficial to eq than a gaming mouse imo.

EQ relies far more on keyboard commands than it does with actual mouse movements, I actually think 90-95 percent of my controlling eq is keyboard based.

I use a G710+ USB keyboard resting on top of my laptop keyboard and use a laptop touchpad to play and I get by relatively fine despite how terrible laptop touchpads are for gaming.
  7. Tiqou Elder

These mouse buttons are bound to key shortcuts? Or do you assign them as button_n in EQ?
  8. Malacath Journeyman

gaming mice/keyboards come with software that allow you to assign keys/macros to buttons/keys
    so you can assign any of the extra buttons keyboard or mouse buttons to keyboard or mouse actions like shift+1 shift+ctrl+1 or shift left click or leftclick/rightclick/middle click ect ect ect
  9. Velora Journeyman

I have a lot of hotkeys bound to my keyboard, just wanted some extra bound to the mouse (fades, etc...). If it works, the buttons on the side, then I'll probably grab them for more ease of use.
  10. Potawatomi Augur

I've also used the logitech G600 before it met it's untimely death due to my dog. I would recommend it. Along with Malacath, I really only used the top set of buttons. I assigned a few multbinds, raid burns, pet commands and a few oh crap moments. Once you get used to it, you may never wanna go back.
    Enkel likes this.
  11. Drathos_BotS Elder

I used the Naga the buttons on the side once you get your thumbed trained is great. Hit all the hotkeys I needed without ever having to go to the keyboard. I moved up to the COrsair Vengeance Mouse and its just well amazing at between key binding and my hotkeys life is just great.
  12. Augur Developer

Funny timing. I just mapped my Razer Naga buttons on my newest char last night. The side buttons work fine in EQ. They input the same commands as keyboard buttons (either numpad or number row), so there's no special mapping required.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Kamea Augur

I have a Logitech gaming mouse with 2 side buttons. The vast majority of games read them as extra mouse buttons, and I don't have the mouse software installed atm either (it's junk), just doing plug and play.

Only issue is sometimes games have weird naming patterns for auxiliary mouse buttons. In EQ, they're called US AUX1 and US AUX2, which looks kind of weird on the hotbar. Most games call them mouse button 4 and 5. For UI purposes, I'd like to see them be called M4 and M5.

As a warrior, it's nice having these buttons. I keep Flash of Anger and an aggro hotkey on these buttons, so I can easily and quickly hit an "oh crap" key or aggro, in case I'm either on the move or my left hand is out of position.

With that being said, I think having the crazy amount of buttons on a Razer Naga, or other 9 side button mouse is unneeded, simply do the fact it'd take a really long time to get your muscle memory to the point where you don't even have to think about using various abilities. There are MOBA-focused mice with 5 and 6 side buttons that are a bit more realistic if 2-3 is too few.

(Relatively) High DPI mice are vastly superior to standard mice for everything, not just gaming. Early optical/laser mice were based off of the speed of ball mice, not to count the sensors were weak back then. Most $10 mice these days still come with very low DPI sensors since that's what people are used to, and they're cheaper. But if you get used to a higher DPI mouse, you won't be able to go back.

I'm not talking about crazy high DPI options on $100 Razer mice, just the DPI that's 3-4x more than $10 junk mice that's an option on any gaming mouse. Additionally, most gaming mice have better ergonomics, construction, and tighter clicks than $10 mice. It's a pretty good deal for $40-$50 IMO (well, when not paying another $40 to have a Razer logo.)
  14. Argonax New Member

I picked up a Razer Naga awhile back just for EQ and have been very happy with it. There's a manual toggle on the bottom that allows you to switch the side buttons to work as top-row number keys or numpad number keys. So I have my spell gems mapped to the 12 side buttons as numpad keys, and my top-row numbers are freed up to work with a hotbar.

The LEDs that backlight the side buttons and the logo can be turned off in the options, which is also very nice. These MMO mice might look gawdy and ridiculous at first glance, but for this particular type of game, they really are one of those things you don't want to do without once you've tried one, at least in my experience.
  15. Velora Journeyman

Would you know if its for just the Naga, or would another Mouse like the Vengeance M95 also just count as the number pad or number row? I'm still not sure if I want the Naga or the Vengeance, and from what I read the newest Naga has mixed reviews : (
  16. Machen New Member

It really depends on your class, and I'd guess that's why there are several different types of responses in this thread.

I'd say I'm closer to 50/50 with mouse/keyboard. Casters can get away with keeping both hands on the keyboard most of the time, using the numeric keypad to move and only occasionally needing to touch the mouse at all. As a rogue, that won't work for me--I have to use mouse look and constant strafing to stay behind the mob in position to backstab. Circle strafing isn't even possible in EQ using only keyboard input. If a mob gets flipped, I can circle around it and be backstabbing again in about a half second with the mouse, without ever missing an autoattack hit. Using just the keyboard, it takes 2-3 seconds to run to the other side of the mob and then slowly turn around, during which time you aren't hitting it at all. (It's pretty easy to spot the melees that do it this way as they run through then slowly turn--It takes a full second to turn 180 degrees in using the keyboard.)

So since one of my hands is always on the mouse while fighting, having some thumb buttons on the mouse to supplement my keyboard hotkeys is a huge plus, easily as much of an advantage as a gaming keyboard.
  17. Augur Developer

I can't say for certain, since I haven't used the Vengeance. As I understand it, though, Windows restricts the number of "special" buttons mice can input. If that's true, any mouse with a ton of buttons would have to input keyboard commands (although some may use weirder combinations like Ctrl+1 or something).

Definitely don't take my word for that, though. I'd look for reviews, or contact customer support for the specific mouse you're interested in.

(Sidenote: I also really like the Mad Catz MMO7. The side button placement is odd, but the customizable shape makes it the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.)
  18. Langya Augur

Playing a rogue I have killed 2 mice so far. Mostly the scroll wheels zooming in and out while moving around. Otherwise the keyboard probably gets more wear and tear. A good quality normal mouse seems to hold up the best.The kind made to hold up for years in an office and not gaming. Gaming mice don't add much compared to what you pay for them and the scroll wheels on the broken mice were on a super uber gaming mouse that was just south of 100 dollars and a 20 dollar cheapo. The cheapo lasted longer than the expensive one too.
  19. Geroblue Augur

I've worked with AutoCAD... unless EQ game play improves with a high DPI mouse, I still see no reason to spend the money.
  20. Velora Journeyman

Thank you for all the replies. On some of my toons I have over 90 to 110 hotkeys, and around 60 of those are keybound. I have too many for just being bound on the keyboard for as quick reaction as I would like. That's why I wanted to get gaming mouse like the Naga or their like, so that I could react as quickly as I would like. I plan on using the mouse on this game, and other MMO, so I feel like its a decent buy. To do my classes role I don't need a mouse like that, but being able to use abilities such as fade, etc, really helps imo (or would, since I don't have one).