Broken vote on Fippy

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Machen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jonathan Carpenter New Member

I have planned my work schedule so I can have time to level when expansion is supposed to be released based on the vote. When will SOE take the time to make sure it is unlocking in the time frame given previously.
  2. Callan New Member

Having done as so many others that have in scheduling and taking days off of work, it is really disappointing if the vote and if pass, launch does not occur as we previously expected and planned.
  3. The Dude New Member

I also have my work shift covered for the week in anticipation for the new expansion opening up. The voting should have been opened already and if you cant fix it, it will really mess up my work schedule. There has always been issues with the voting system so can you please unlock the expansion so it opens when it was scheduled to on the 16th.
  4. Toggas New Member

would be nice if the expansion would open as intended. please :D
  5. Lozack New Member

As many others have done, I have arranged my work/vacation schedule around the potential expansion opening. Please fix the vote so it ends on the 16th like it was supposed to and not have it end the 30th of December.
  6. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I feel for you guys not being able to vote yet, sucks I know how it is.. But how do you know the vote is supost to end on the 16th? If yesterday is the start of a 2 week voting cycle, the vote would end and SoF would open on the 23rd... 60 days from when the expansion was beat was last night (the 9th) at about 10:30 i'll assume PST.. So technicly the vote should have started late last night, or this morning..

The vote requires there to be a full 7 days of voting before the expansion opens for the vote to take effect in its current voting cycle. if the vote was due to open last night that only leaves 6 days of voting. So if you are indeed correct and a voting cycle ends on the 16th, fippy dose not have the full 7 days needed to be apart of that voting cycle, and will have to wait until the next cycle. Im pretty sure after looking at my calendar that yesterday was the start of a full 2 week cycle.. so both fippy and vulak should be having SoF open on the 23rd..
  7. Bandok Augur

The Fippy vote would have started at around 8:45pm PST on Sunday night if it was a case of "if it is mid-cycle and there are more than 7 days remaining," since 8:45pm PST on Sunday would be 7 days plus 3 hours.

I don't think anyone would be complaining (well... as much) if the vote started Monday morning and ended on the 23rd. There would still be the "I took off from work the week of the 16th omg" people, but a lot of us were predicting a vote starting on the 9th and ending on the 23rd.

We could have a five- or four-day vote and I don't think the outcome would be materially changed. The one thing that should absolutely NOT happen is a manual unlock on the 16th without a vote "just because the vote didn't open properly." Give us the vote, even if it's much shorter duration than it should be. None of us are surprised at issues with the voting mechanic any more, but the "No" voters should be allowed their voice in this as well (these people wouldn't care that the vote didn't open -- they're already getting a delay in the release of the next expansion, but they'll be upset if the expansion is opened without a vote) I don't imagine the vote failing anyway.
  8. Kozak New Member

At the time of beating the current expansion, we had already done the calculations of the 60 days and the voting cycles and were fully aware that if we didn't beat it that evening we would have to endure a further 2 weeks of TBS. Given there were no level increases or new AAs in TBS and many of us were already maxed in this respect, we had the incentive at the time to make sure we avoided that scenario.

The current voting cycle runs to the 16th and the next one to the 30th. The 60 day marker was up (and thus the vote should have opened) Sunday evening allowing a full 7 days plus a few spare hours for a 16th December expansion opening.
  9. Kragin Augur

This must mean they are merging vulak!
  10. Pollitt New Member

I completely agree with Bandok, let us vote till the 16th. BUT DO NOT OPEN without a vote.
    The whole purpose of this server is that its a VOTE to unlock, if you want a server that hits the next expansion without a vote, there are plenty of other servers to go to.
  11. Pyro New Member

If you are familiar with the TLP servers and how voting works, you will already understand that the voting period is supposed to be a minimum of 7 days but encompasses a 2 week pre-set period. We get a message to signify when that vote is due. We got the message Sunday night. If that vote would be less than 7 days, it rolls over to the next full 2 week period. However, in this case, according the the serverwide message, the vote should have opened Sunday night and thus meeting the over 7 day requirement.

As Bandok and Kragin stated, I too think there should be a vote but it needs to start today and not be dragged out. It's already 36 hours overdue and the longer it's delayed, the shorter the vote time would be.
  12. Machen New Member

The voting periods cover two week cycles. The current cycle ends on the 16th. The next cycle will end on the 30th. It is impossible for a vote to end on the 23rd.

We know this because the cycles are continuous, going all the way back to the start of both servers. Every vote has ended only on even weeks, never on odd weeks. In ~30 odd votes since the progression servers launched, there has never been a vote that ended on the "odd" weeks. It's not hard to look at when the current expansion launched and count Mondays by two's to see when the cycles end.
  13. Machen New Member

It was never possible for the vote to end on the 23rd. It will either be the 16th or the 30th.
  14. Bandok Augur

I understand that Machen. That mid-cycle thing has just never seemed to come up as an issue (I don't remember any of the votes being shorter than 2 weeks), so when I personally calculated it out I didn't even take it into account. Oversight on my part (along with some others, because I know I had seen others make the same prediction)
  15. Machen New Member

There's a reason it hasn't come up as an issue in quite a while.

It turns out that if you beat an expansion within between about four and ten days after it launches, (varies by a day or two depending on # of calendar days in the affected months) the 60 day period will fall into the back half of a two week cycle and roll over to the following cycle. Every expansion since OoW, Fippy has fallen into that window. It's taken Citizen usually about 4-6 days to beat the expansion. The only recent exception has been DoN, which was beaten in a single day, but DoN opened without a vote exactly 60 days after the prior expansion was beaten, and so the timing was off and it worked out by chance that we rolled over into the following voting period anyway.

With TBS we beat that day four deadline, killing two gods on day three. So here we are. As Kozak mentioned we had done the math and had made it our goal specifically to beat TBS by day three so that we could save two weeks on SoF launch. We figured most people were tired of no level increase expansions like TBS. We certainly are.

Remember how buggy the voting system used to be the first year on Fippy? Votes not appearing, having to be manually started, not ending correctly, expansions needing to be manually unlocked. My theory is that there are bugs in the system that only come into play when the 60 day period falls into that first week of the voting cycle. Fippy's voting system has worked fairly reliably as long as we roll over to the following period. Recently Vulak has more often missed that 10 day deadline and been in the first half of the voting block on their 60 day mark, and sure enough, their voting system has been a lot more unstable and they've needed manual intervention to launch votes, etc.

Going forward, we will be in this situation a LOT more frequently. With SoF, gone are the days of beating an expansion in under ten days. From here, most expansions will take many weeks of flagging, and so which week the 60 day period falls in will be much more random. I expect roughly half the votes in the future to fall into the first half of the block scenario like this one has. So hopefully this is something Sony can get fixed once and for all.
  16. Wallslapper New Member

Maybe they would like to make sure their staff has the 24-26th off. You never do a launch on a friday or right before a holiday, that's just common sense. If they launched on the 23rd and all hell broke loose and we couldnt get it fixed till they were back at work on the 27th there would be even more complaining from you guys.
  17. Machen New Member

Don't be ridiculous. Sony isn't messing with the voting system deliberately for their own convenience. And if the expansion launches on the 16th, as it should, that will leave plenty of time for them to work out any bugs and still take the holidays off. (As if they do, anyway--with all the station cash deals and double exp they run over every holiday, I'm sure it's normally all hands on deck for their cs people.) The 23rd was never an option, see above.
  18. Wallslapper New Member

You guys beat the expansion on the 9th of Oct. 60 Days would put us roughly the 9th of Dec. Your original message said the vote should of went live on the 9th of Dec. Votes start on a monday and last 7 days. At that point we find out if it was a pass or fail, and the next expansion would go live the following monday.

9th vote live, 16th vote closes, 23rd expansion launch.

If you are saying there is a mid cycle thing then it would be pushed forward, never backwards. So 16th vote live, 23rd vote closes, 30th expansion launch.
  19. Machen New Member

You might want to do a little more reading on how the voting system works, it's pretty clear you have no idea. Dupre gives a good summary in this thread - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...ythings-on-track-for-the-god-poll-yes.195869/ - about four posts down.

Expansions launch the day the vote closes, not a week later. There was absolutely no possibility a vote could end on Dec 23, or an expansion launch on that day.

60 days fell on December 8, not December 9. If it had fallen on December 9, the vote would have opened on the 16th, closed on the 30th, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. In this case a one day difference matters.
  20. Machen New Member

Incidentally this is why we got the systemwide message on Dec. 8 telling us to go vote. The systemwide message was right on time, just the vote didn't work as intended.