What's the most fun play to level from 10-20?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by fluffymynameis, Nov 10, 2013.

1. fluffymynameis Journeyman

Newb trying to have fun >__>
  2. Malkavius Augur

Impossible to say really, since it's all a matter of opinion. Besides 10-20 is such a small window of gameplay. Maybe an hour or so of playing. Most classes don't really come into their own until 70s.
  3. fluffymynameis Journeyman

Most fun place to level***************************************************************************
  4. Riou EQResource

Hero's Journey isn't bad, it is based in TSS where it all follows same story (if you care to read that), zones are next to each other and such. 10-20 goes by super fast :p
  5. Treiln Augur

My favorite places are Kurns Tower, Crushbone, and Lfay :)
  6. Hileth New Member

The zones Treilin listed are all fun at those levels. Blackburrow and Runnyeye are two other good zones. If you don't care if the Frogloks like you, Upper Guk is a fun place to hunt.
  7. Treiln Augur

Can't believe I left out Blackburrow! When I first started the only race I played was Humans (I like Qeynos, leave me alone lol). Spent a lot of time in Blackburrow.

Another fun zone is Butcherblock Mountains (mainly the chessboard) and then moving onto Beholders Maze. Nostalgia <3
  8. shiftie Augur

Unrest, befallen, sol a, mistmoore are all great dungeons to try out.
  9. silku Augur

I used to run around a lot, lately when I make a new character I do 10-60ish in Blightfire Moors.. only takes a couple of hours. guess I'm getting into too much power gaming.
  10. fluffymynameis Journeyman

Any areas with snow?
  11. Bodiddle New Member

Everfrost Peaks
  12. fluffymynameis Journeyman

Now are all of these questing zones or farming zones?
  13. shiftie Augur

With snow?

Permafrost

Old world zones have various quest bits that drop but in terms of linear progression like new style eq not so much.

There is also the chance that any old world zone will begin to snow iirc
  14. fluffymynameis Journeyman

So would you say the game is based more around grinding ?
  15. shiftie Augur

Not if you choose the hero journey which they added to alleviate some if the issues. Old world eq was not designed the way modern mmo games are. It was meant to be explored as a living breathing world and questing was part of an epic journey. You killed in an area or dungeon in search of a quested bit that was likely a part of a big quest that would drastically enhance your character. Or you went to a dungeon in search of gear and fellowship with other players. You could spend an entire eq session traveling from one area to another and not kill a single thing. Quests took weeks not minutes or hours and depending on if a mob was up your quest could take months or more.

The grind back then was just part of the adventure. Early eq was not designed for the instant gratification crowd. They have made strides to help move people to end game content faster but the game is 14 years old it will be a bit if a grind no matter what you do. The real question is whether you can enjoy the ride. There is so much content just enjoy it. And if you must absolutely race to the end game follow the hero journey, join a guild and be social with the right friends you can get to the end game at blinding speeds.
  16. Fluid Augur

That is how most people choose to play it. Form does follow function: Early game was designed with a lot of time and platinum sinks because conventional wisdom was that people would quit as soon as they reached maximum levels.

The game itself does not care what you do or how you play it. Many of the reasons for doing things is now gone with new equipment and drops. If you want to do stuff just for the heck of it, consider creating an agnostic Dark Elf Enchanter and doing the Stein of Moggok quest. Great quest back in the day, still interesting now. Reward and experience are piddling nowadays.

Personally I would stick with the Gloomingdeep to Crescent Reach quests through the undead quests in the CR farms to get the feel for the game. Next stop would be PoK amor quest with Teek as soon as you can handle the level 20 quests in Warsliks Woods.

Second character would be the one I fooled around with and probably on a second account. Dark Elf Enchanter ibid. Nothing quite like spending weeks to get faction up to complete a quest for an item no one will buy. New zones have much more stratified mob levels. Old zones like Permafrost have everything from Decaying Skeletons to Frost Giants. You can level from 1-50 in them but you take a few deaths if you wander into a high level mob. They also have slow spawn timers with a few notable exceptions. If you are looking for Hill Giants or Griffons in the Karanas, it could take a while to level.
  17. Gladare Augur

Can't believe no one said Paludal Caverns. I think that's how it's spelled.
  18. shiftie Augur

I never enjoyed that zone, I only ever did it because it was pretty good xp, it always seemed so blah to me. I much preferred the dungeons of old.
  19. fluffymynameis Journeyman

Is Heroes Journey a questline?
  20. Gladare Augur

Quest lines and individual quests depending on where you right click the hero's journey book. I was told recently that it covers the TSS, TBS, and SoD expansions. Following it will take you through crescent reach quests which will get you to level 20 and gear you in defiant gear.

If you left the tutorial at level 10, it's worth doing the lower level quests in crescent reach for the achievement rewards.