It's been a good 14 years.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yes please!

I've always wanted to go to the original Plane of Mischief! And to back to the old Freeport
    Telin likes this.
  2. Moklianne Augur

I would imagine they would be the new versions unfortunately....
  3. Saave Augur

Exactly!
    Also, " if you don't like the game, don't play " comments.
    Well, if you don't like what your reading in the posts, don't read them :)

The OP has some good points. See ya soon OP :^)
    Moklianne and Crystilla like this.
  4. Saave Augur

I have known a lot of folks that play EQ injured as you have been. EQ is great for that :) I hope you are doing ok :)
    Moklianne and Crystilla like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If they can import all the Mac guys to a purpose POP server, surely they could import the original PoM zone.
  6. Rainbowdash Augur

Cap it at Luclin instead and I'm game :p
  7. Leerah Augur

Enough time to log a wizard on and exodus!

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials, Cicelee!

Lee of Povar
  8. Moklianne Augur

Which is weird, because I remember a dev saying a while ago that the zone files don't exist anymore. Perhaps what he meant to say was that the zone at this point is too incompatible with the current engine/client and it would take too much work to incorporate it? Or maybe he meant the original design spec is no longer available (or never existed), so it can't be duplicated correctly using the current tools? Sounds more likely. I still think it would be easier to pull data from one database, massage it, and dump it into another. Don't get me wrong, I loved original POM. I was bound there for quite a while.

I support a decent sized code shop, so the whole topic of missing source code is very weird to me. We have our source going back to our DOS applications, for history if nothing else. I can only really see that excuse being used as a way to simply say 'no, end of discussion' without actually saying it.
  9. Starla Elder

For me a game can be new and amazing but after 20 minutes of no social interaction I am bored....lol
    So even if EQ was only a single player game back in 99 (when it was new and amazing) I don't think it would still even be a name anyone would have heard of let alone rave about the memories they have in it.....well..maybe it would be listed with pacman :p but who talks about the great memories they had in pacman? LOL

Bottomline, social interaction for many is as much of the game EQ as a NPC that it taken down at a raid.
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Starla Elder

11. Telin Journeyman

I
    i would play EQ during either of these eras for many, many years. As long as it's the original code with original spell graphics, music, combat etc. and not the current client with minor alterations.
  12. HouseSilverflame New Member

I have come and gone.. And am coming back now.... But i have heard and seen thigns i may not approve of.. Everquest still is the best MMO on the market.. this may be because it the only one that has seriously looped me in, BUT i talk about it still..

I do have to agree that from pop onward i have had my nose turned upward. but that is because, a divide was created that allowed new players to progress.. The times of needing that tight knit community seemed to die.. Who was going to touch them?... Then wow came... They needed something... Instances zones! i hated these... made sure you could smack that mob down you needed all the time.. and then No loot? rinse and repeat.. BUT that is part of what brouth new people.. So so be it.. EQ and Norath have survived.. and i will always look to EQ with fondness. Safe travels RIs.. Though if you come back mr. Gnome lover.. i may have killed all your people :)