Returning; starting anew

Discussion in 'Guild Recruitment' started by waterslug, Oct 26, 2013.

1. waterslug New Member

I've played EQ during Kunark - Luclin, quit, came back during SoF - Underfoot and now I'm returning once again to the game I love. I was going to start a new character on a server ( don't know which, yet) and was probably going to create a Cleric. I love healing and hopefully once I get max level I can heal for a raid. Looking for a guild so I can make my new home with.

Also, how are Clerics holding up? Back in Kunark - Luclin they were great, but during SoD - Underfoot a lot of folks on my server rolled with a box team and merc healers.

Oh, one more thing, how are the progression servers? I was on Flippy with a Necro, and was thinking I might return there if Clerics are needed and if the servers are somewhat populated.

Thanks. =D
  2. Aaxxandum Journeyman

Always room for more clerics on Firiona Vie :D
  3. Wakeup Journeyman

Post here where you decide to roll. I'm looking to start over too. Will most likely be a Wizard. Maybe we could team up.
  4. oogolx Elder

plenty of room for clerics on Bristlebane! ;)
  5. waterslug New Member

Downloading the game right now. I have no clue what server to go to. If you have any idea, let me know. Haha =)
  6. Wakeup Journeyman

Any of the old really populated servers are probably a good bet. Bristlebane as mentioned above would work, Bertoxx would be another. Vox is set up as the "newbie" server I gather, but I've never seen the population at high, which worries me.
  7. hallmaster9 New Member

I'm a newbie Shadow Knight on Tunare if you want to join me, just got level 9 today. :p
  8. Wakeup Journeyman

Tunare would probably be a good server too. I'm game if you are waterslug.
  9. Wakeup Journeyman

what's your character's name?
  10. hallmaster9 New Member

Hemvar
  11. Crystilla Augur

Clerics always welcome on Erollisi Marr :)
  12. Tour Augur

Welcome back!

I've taken several breaks throughout the course of the game. Like you I took a break initially after Luclin, and one of my returns was during SoF too. Clerics hold up quite well, but have their little hurdles.

The big one, as you alluded to, is that a number of people have either a box cleric of a cleric mercenary (this is not in any way a criticism of either). So, you're going to have to be a little more proactive about getting a group at most times. Join the general channel for your server, turn LFG on, ask in ooc, whatever. But more often then not you're going to have to get things started yourself. With mercs you could pick any other class to group with and have a viable group, filling out what's needed with mercs. I would very rarely get a group by simply stating I was lfg. But, there were always others who were lfg, so you send them a tell, "Hello, I'm soandso, a lvl whatever cleric. I see you are lfg as well, would you be interested in getting some mercs and starting a group and filling out the rest as we go?" and that tends to be far more effective. Additionally, if you come across groups with a cleric merc, don't be afraid to nicely ask them if you could replace the merc for them; you heal better and don't cost anything. If you get a good group add some of them to your friends list, and let them know that, and offer to heal for them if they ever need a cleric again. Make heavy use of your friends list and it won't take long where you don't have to look for a group, they start looking for you.

On a related note, join a server that has a healthy population. Several servers where mentioned in this thread, I can only agree that the server I am on, Bristlebane, has a healthy population and a good variety of guilds with their own play-style. Higher population servers with active guilds will make it easier for you to both get a group, enjoy the game, and eventually heal for a raid, if that is your goal.

A reading through this forum, the external class forums, and the various other general EQ websites would also be advisable, to catch up on the new things in the game. Even simple things like terminology, geography, etc need some work for returning players.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!
    Dalston likes this.