A simple question....Why?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Son of a..., Oct 2, 2013.

1. Son of a... Augur

It's not a hot topic, not whining about nerfs or chase items...or anything else that can be contested from one sect or another. It's just a simple question to be able to understand the logic of Sony Online Entertainment and expansion releases.

The original launch date for CotF was a Friday. The pushback date of October 8th, is a Tuesday. Why on earth would a launch date be in the beginning of a work week? The only reason I could imagine is that SOE already knows the release will be FUBAR from the start and will require 3 emergency patches prior to the weekend. After 19 expansions, I just can't believe that will be the case.
    So the simple question is....Why?
  2. Poepoepoe Journeyman

I'm guessing it's less conspiracy and more "just a date".
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Where was it said that the original date for CotF was a Friday? We have been asking for a date for months and the only date I have ever seen published is 8th October.

Most game updates including expansion releases come on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, this is not something new.
  4. Tuluvian Elder

Could be wrong but always thought most releases fell on a Tues or Wed.

Rain of Fear, Nov 28, 2012 - Wed
    Veil of Alaris, Nov 15, 2011 - Tues
    House of Thule, Oct 12, 2010 - Tues
    Underfoot, Dec 15, 2009 - Tues

Judging by just the last few seems pretty normal.
    Leerah and Bauer like this.
  5. Smak Augur

If you want, you could ask them nicely to delay the release until xmas vacation so you will have plenty of time off work to post all your /firsts
  6. Hatsee Augur

As said above I'm pretty sure most launches are in the start of the week for obvious reasons. The most obvious one being that if something goes wrong there are people there to fix it and you don't have to call them in on the weekend to come patch something that's broken, they are already there working on all the problems that were missed in beta, test, QA, etc.
  7. Son of a... Augur

Not talking about "conspiracy"
    Not talking about "posting firsts"
    Could of sworn release was Sept 27th*...Several of my friends and I were pleased about it.
    Xmas vacation would be bad for people and family time...and people who travel for family time.
    I came back mid HoT. The VoA and RoF launch seemed to patch and take down the first weekend for the 2nd or 3rd 'ok we're serious this time' patch.
    Reason I asked...Why? People like me, do quests/mission in the new content with a core of friends. When things go wrong, a core of people who play together can target something wrong better than a pick up group. That and constantly asking friends to stop and backtrack...makes it tough. WE know patch fixes are coming, it's just a part of the game. Bugs and issues have to be reported and replicated. Fri, Sat and Sun offers the largest saturation of players on, the more reports and information gathered the better and quicker the fix. To fix the issues with a patch implemented during light player server population. Right out of the gate, there seems to be the soon after patch...then two days later the patch to fix the patch and other issues. That's the one that takes down weekends. Kick it off on a weekend, patch comes Sun or Mon, and the patch to fix the patch hits on a Wed or Thu.
    So according to the responses, the answer is...EQ employs CS/Dev Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm pst when an expan goes live. Which is why I was asking for insight to the logic.
  8. Crystilla Augur

To the OP ... as already posted, almost all launches in any recent history have been basically on a Tuesday or the rare Wednesday. Also, there was no official date given to players for September. At SoE Live it was said late September was the target (though Zam was given a date it isn't official unless SoE announces it to the public), then the layoffs, and now this October 8th date which was announced by SoE.

Separately, Devs don't work 9-5 lol, not on regular days, not during beta and not on launch day or thereafter. To take it a step further, they don't work 8 hours days.

Finally, it takes more than 1 dev to fix an issue if something arises - depending what the issue is, the tech team may be involved, coding may be involved, QA team is almost always involved, the dev team is involved and so on.