ancient cloak of flame

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mad marine, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Tobynn Augur

Believe most spawn tables are configured so that the rare is a unique spawn, meaning only one at a time can exist. This is not universal, there are many exceptions to this rule, and have been many exceptions for many years. Kunark's Grachnist is a prime example. Korasal Klyseer and his pet are often spawned as multiples roaming directly outside of Chardok.
  2. pewpewpewkittens New Member

This is false for modern content. Maybe some old world area (though none come to mind)?. I've done all hunter achieves since HoT and camped 100's of named for 4-box team + alts, and never once have I seen more than 1 copy of a named up at one time. That's in hundreds of hours and thousands of PHers.
  3. Gnomeland Augur

Banescale Serpent and I think Pincerpest are multiple simultaneous spawn rares.

The rest of RoF isn't, from what I've seen. I've also seen the behavior stated above where when a rare is up, one of his phs fail to respawn from time to time. I imagine that it is what that guy said - the game tries to spawn the rare and fails because it's already up and there's an unique spawn rule.

It's why the smart strategy when camping a rare is to split the ph spawns so that you have enough time to kill a rare between spawns.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

99% of named can't have multiple named up at once. Been that way since the beginning of the game.
  5. Hoosierdaddy Lorekeeper

Has dropped for me twice since patch. New drop rate seems adequate for time invested.
  6. CaptAmazing Augur

Well, I'm glad that's settled.
  7. Kurayami Augur

Until a Dev specifically states this is how this spawn works, it is truly just a black box to all of us. About all we can do is throw together best fit models. I for one don't make a habit to learn 2-6 pher spots or whatever, spawn a named, then clear all the phers to see if I can spawn a double named. Kudos to those who have put in the real time and effort to do such things, but it could just be bad luck w/ the RNG again.

Lots of myths have been perpetuated as fact in this game over the years. For awhile on one of my first servers for example, it was believed if you stood on a monster spawn spot, it would not spawn. Was also a bug that never existed from a mage giving all pets daggers in the guild lobby when the owners were not looking. And what do you know, the most powerful melee overhaste item in the game has its own myths too!

Is fun to speculate some, but please don't talk as if you actually know. I'm pretty sure no one here had the time to thoroughly test all named in the game this way. And even if you did, it still would not be definitive evidence that this is true, just a strong indication it probably works this way.
  8. pewpewpewkittens New Member

Uhhh .. given the roughly 10% chance to spawn for most named, and the numerous PHers for most named, one of us that has killed hundreds or thousands of named mobs over the years would have seen it happen ... it's not just speculation.
  9. Kurayami Augur

Also pretty sure people camping named tend to kill named when they spawn. How many do you figure went to the trouble to try to get a new named to spawn instead of immediately trying to kill that named? In fact I'm sure they tried to burn that named down asap due to many telling them that only one named can be up at a time in hopes another one spawning.

Now this could be true, but until you have the lines of code showing why it is true, is still just a black box to you. I have seen multiple named of the same name up before on some occasions, and I do tend to kill named as soon as they spawn just in case that might be true. But saying I know it for sure is just silly.
  10. Agrippa Augur

I, for one, try to never have more than one placeholder up at a time when camping a named. I'm pretty sure that's how most people work their camps. It's been proven that quite a few named can have multiples up at a time. I didn't see where anyone said *all* named have a chance for multiples, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. That said, I've rarely seen multiples outside of the mentioned ones, though. And before retiring, I typically wait until all of the placeholders have popped.
  11. pewpewpewkittens New Member

Numerous times things are allowed to fully respawn for numerous reasons. Not to mention going through zones after server up to kill named - never seen a dual in either case. Again we're not talking about what someone tested in a brand new game here, we're talking about people with years and hundreds of hours of doing these camps and it has not been seen.

Quest triggered and event mobs are not "named" mobs. Name one actual loot dropping named that spawns from PHers that you have witnessed this for.

You're free to believe whatever myth you like.
  12. Kurayami Augur

Frenzied Ghoul
  13. pewpewpewkittens New Member

ahhh this explains a lot. clearly you have loads of real hardcore experience with eq lol.
    Obiiwaann and Poepoepoe like this.
  14. Kurayami Augur

Clearly I am arguing with a brick, I'm done, you only wish to hear yourself talk.

Edit: By the way, please do not believe I thought of that example from the OMM missions, it was more since the other prime examples got used earlier, and I know it very well from many hours lost in guk as a troll during classic/kunark.
  15. Meadal Journeyman

I have seen 2x a fleet footed braxi up in windsong twice
  16. sancrotis New Member

I dunno about theories on drop rates n all that stuff, but I know I have personally seen 2 mobs get killed within less than 10 seconds of each other and both drop rings...the cloak, i've never seen it drop, nor have I ever seen it linked whilst being in the zone, so I have zero input on that...but as far as the ring goes....
  17. Abazzagorath Augur

No two named up at once is a recent phenomenon, not "since the beginning of eq". Its something that went in when they started dealing with the issue of camps and made named spawn in multiple spots (underfoot I think? or was it earlier?).

Before that, named either had ONE spawn point so functionally could only have one up, or could have two up. I can't think of a single old mob that couldn't spawn doubles if it had more than one ph. Not that its impossible they didn't exist (pyzjin maybe?) but they weren't the norm.
  18. BoomWalker Augur

This is normal...but now that it is confirmed it can happen...I am gonna go look for a named with a few ph and kill them until I get all ph spots up with a named...then will get a screenshot of track to show everyone....either that or I will just Photoshop it into a picture to save me the time...