will everquest 1 and 2 get graphics update

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Link, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Link New Member

well i havent even played yet and i can tell the graphics are kindof outdated PLZ devs graphics update and in everquest 1 and 2 plz thanks what do you think should the graphic be updated yes or no?
  2. Sinestra Augur

Been asked for for years and we always get told how tough their life is and how hard and expensive it would be to do it. Don't hold your breath.
  3. Arandris Elder

I'd personally rather see more optimization patches than graphic updates. Do you really want them to waste time updating graphics in a 14 year old game?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Sinestra Augur

Yes, many of us do. Not that it is imperative, but it's so outdated it's actually kind of a joke.

In EQ they make much more beautiful zones than they used to and the players look horribly out of place. If you play Guild Wars 2 and have logged in recently you see what it's like. They were doing an event where if you opened certain chests these 8 bit mobs would pop out and you had to kill them.
  5. Burdi Augur

I would love to see that too.
    Although this is not a something essential.
  6. Toquillaw Augur

I doubt they will. It's not like they didn't try already, like with the graphics updates in EQ2 that sort of fizzled out (I thought they were decent enough upgrades, but it's not like much changes other than lighting).

There is the issue of EQ and DX9. When they went from DX8 to DX9, that took about a year of testing and wasn't very smooth at all. It's about taking new tech for graphics, and applying it to a huge range of zone graphics and all the fine tuning that is in them.

Overall, very expensive for money and time. Would I pay for an expansion which consisted only of upgrading the engine to DX11 or higher? Yeah, I probably would. New character graphics, maybe they could look at that as well, in terms of a purchased upgrade like they do with Hero's forge armor.
  7. Skerry New Member

While I understand why they don't, myself and several other old-timers have though for years how great it would be if they either updated the graphics on EQ and/or created a new game that was EQish (not this kiddy crap they have out now, although EQ has been dumbed down quite a bit from what we remembered) but with better graphics.

It may actually gain more traction again.

Although, it is interesting the number of people I am seeing "return" to EQ. It is kind of cool.
  8. Dre. Altoholic

Pipe dream - Horses with old models. I'd shut all the luclin models off and rock velious textures forever.
  9. darkdelusions Lorekeeper

Agreed

- I would also be happy with them take the separating the horse and mage pet models the old pet models where so much better :)
  10. Rogosh Eagleye RN New Member

I could see myself resubbing if they did an overhaul of the character models in either game.
  11. Gannen Elder

It was said before, that to get character models updated, would cost in resources and funds a lot of what they put into an expansion (it's not just making a character, but doing all the animations with the current platform software, then adjusting all the weapons and armor for the models)... although the dwarven run jump from the velious graphics would be nice to see once again...

then there was the one reply when it was asked about the zones in EQ, would it bring the players BACK into the zones? as they had done it with some zones... when it was asked about revamping a zone...

what tends to bring players back into zones is content for their levels and rewards worth getting... some older zones are being used for leveling, some as nice quiet spots AWAY from the congestion of the zones with better rewards, but still, without some higher level content, it would not get as used as if it did get some additional content for higher levels...

like what would happen if kithicor forest got a revamp in graphics, but then expand the zone some, the forest out a little way past where it ends on the north side, with some level 70+ content that normally would not mingle with the rest of the forest... maybe a new extension of the wall... so that it encompassed two sides of rivervale...

or take a totally different zone, plane of hate... it's a nice zone, revamped from it's original construction as a raid zone to a group zone (which DID get a lot of use when it was originally reopened)... wouldn't it be something if the original hate floorplan was put BACK into gameplay with some remodels on the graphics, but with new characters and a higher level raid zone? or having some new things like walls to tear down as one goes thru the zone.

I do love it when zones get facelifts on the graphics, but without some new content, they tend to sit on the sidelines more with a lot of players in the levels that cannot get a lot of use from the zone... I mean, lavastorm, the lava river there looks a whole lot better than the old tomato soup lava... I like to look at it, but it doesn't make me want to jump into the zone by itself... the new docks in revamped Freeport... That zone the revamp had purpose as well, it hid some new zonelines on top of the new layout of town... I liked the docks, but the town is more of a maze now. but there's not so much incentive to run thru town, unless I want to run to the devastation, or thru it to ocean of tears...

ocean of tears, now there's a zone where changes could be done... expand the zone some, and add some new islands that are off the boat route... maybe a few underwater caverns... or how about plane of sky... a revamp on the graphics there, change the islands repop timers, and maybe unlock those portals... keep the original islands for epics, but then add some new high level islands with portals, and an airship to cross to them... with a new zoneline under the new area, and keep the original zoneline for the original part (helps make the zone seem vast) ... fall off the islands there, and land in timorous deep, or in lake of ill omens... or if it's high end content, maybe into the water on a more high end zone...
  12. Shanaie Lorekeeper

First, a game that was "EQish" the way you mean, would be dead on arrival nowadays. It would cost more to create than it could hope to make in five years, much less recoup in year one. 95% of people who say they want EQ as it was in '99/'00 are lying. They wouldn't pay to play that game in today's climate. Just like all the people clamoring for a PvP game yet Darkfall and Mortal Online lie fallow. We get what we'll pay for and right now, the kiddy crap is what we (as a collective playerbase in the MMO genre) are willing to pay for. Sickening, but that's the way it is.

Secondly, I don't see this happening at all, unless...

Anarchy Online looks FAR worse than EQ despite being slightly younger than the old bag. Their graphic update has been in development for six years now. Maybe if the EQ team started now, we'd have it by the time Windows 10 is due out in 2020.
  13. nectarprime Journeyman

I think the graphics are fine as is. Maybe you should try playing the game first?
  14. Crystilla Augur

Years ago when EQ had a higher population and higher # of staff members assigned to EQ, the risk versus reward was deemed undoable. IMO it won't ever happen for EQ (I won't speak for EQ2), especially with EQNext being worked on.

They tried character models once for EQ and it fell flat; players hated it. It's just not worth it now.
  15. Phrett Augur

Every time someone asks this question... somewhere, someone kicks a puppy.

Do your part, stop asking the same question. Save the puppies.
  16. zamblas1 New Member

I dont see the reason they would upgrade the older zones' graphics being with the number of people of playing and that I don't think there is a lot of people that leved up in them old zones unless they know about them, meaning returning players most likely or people that have been playing the game for awhile. It just doesn't make sense from a money standpoint, at least that is how I see it and besides the trouble of going threw all of that to do it, if it can be done with the game engine.
    As for not playing it and going by the graphics well that is up to you but it is an old game and so the graphics compared to the newer mmos or games in general it is going to seem dated. You should give it a try before of just judging it by its graphics though. Before it there was ultima online, than everquest for what was popular mmo for their respective times and than world of warcraft, so take it for what you will on that )
  17. Gannen Elder

and they HAVE changed some of the zones, but it's more of some of the NPC's are on the global character graphics, and then they changed the graphic in old zones... for example: the spiders, the Zombies, Snakes, Bears, Elementals (the original ones were headless floating shapes with arms) Skeletons... remember the old original Skeleton graphic that used to giggle and laugh?

but it more or less tends to go with part of a new expansion...

imagine what they could do to the original hill giants if they took the Serpent's spine Giant model to replace them with...
  18. Gragas Augur

Wait, there's something wrong with the graphics?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. matou New Member

i find them fine as well.
  20. --Voodoo-- Augur

The vast majority of mounts are separate from pets. As far as I've been able to tell, only drogmars are still tied to new elementals. Could be the old luclin era horses too; I don't have any to test. However, it seems all the SC and LoN mounts work fine with old pets.