Looking for an AA guide

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by eci2000, Sep 8, 2013.

1. eci2000 Lorekeeper

Specifically, what levels do I stop and start typically for earning AA's? I seem to remember varying recommendations but I remember getting run speed 3 right away. Just looking for levels and spots (I am a druid) that are good for earning them.

I left full time game play just after Ykesha and just starting back up so I am overwhelmed a bit.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Yther Augur

Beginner guide: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-how-much-is-good-for-each-lvl.550/#post-5623

In today's game with the mechanics and bonuses, if you plan on staying Gold, get the AAs when they become available with the exclusion of the ones everyone (or most people) say not to get. Like on my beginner list, you won't see hardly any Innate AAs, and definitely none of the stat or resist ones, only a mention of regeneration, run speed, and maybe metabolism, the rest are pretty much worthless. The see invis and enduring breath lines can be ok, but why when almost all gear comes with those worn effects now.

For more advanced stuff, you'll have to look a specific class guides, as there gets too many different ones (as you can see just from the 59 ones in my list, and some of those shouldn't probably be in there, I just left them, 'cause a few people really like certain ones, like the magician element forms illusions, aren't that good, other than Fire, unless you're just really into illusions and don't want to carry clickies around. Anyway, even the class ones will give varying opinions on some, due to playing strategies and how they evaluate AAs. Like on tanks, CA, CS, and the other core defensive / HP / AC lines first, then the key offensive, then back to the secondary defenses, and then secondary offenses, is my usual route, but on melee dps, it's usually only CA on first defenses, then all primary offensive, and anything new that's critical, then if I want to spend the AAs, back to the rest of the defenses and offenses equally. As a druid, there are so many ways to play, to that you have lots of options, and you'll have to see what people of similar play styles recommend to get and avoid.

As far as how many when, for most of the time, I go with whatever is a good value to start and while leveling, until I get to cap level, and start running out of great for the value AAs, then move to the stuff, I put off, but have wanted, until finally buying only the stuff, I wouldn't spend the AAs unless there was nothing else to buy. If you plan on staying Silver for a long time, you may want to keep it limited to the really high value for AA cost AAs to start with until you're Gold. That is if you plan on getting past 75 or 80 with less than 1000 AAs.

Just about everyone breaks 1000 by 85, unless they planned on not doing that and have friends to leach off of at higher levels, because most people recommend 2000 by 90 or maybe 95 at the latest to be at all effective in that level of content. Personally I like AAs, but don't buy everything available, and usually break 1000 in the 75-80 range, but could sooner if I'd buy some more questionable to me AAs earlier on.

Sorry nothing too specific except for the initial AA list, but I consider that list, pretty much critical to get as those AAs give the most bang for the AA cost of all the AAs available.

EDIT: Also, if using Magelo and/or listing what you have purchased, listing what you're thinking of getting also is critical, as most people don't know for sure the exact level each rank / line of AAs begins, so without those listed, they can't say whether you should get them. Listing them lets them know if they're available and can say whether they are good or not.

Yther Ore.
    Quatr likes this.
  3. Bamp Augur

I guess you don't need the run speed AAs as a druid since you will always have SoW.
  4. Borek-VS Augur

Except when it's dispelled, or runs out at a bad time. Everyone needs run speed AAs.
  5. Nolrog Augur

Agree. SOW has a nasty habit of dropping at just the wrong time. RUN 3 is cheap. I'd highly recommend it.
  6. eci2000 Lorekeeper

Thank you Yther. I didn't realized being Gold mattered for AA's but that is my membership level. I truly appreciate your response and have saved your information.

As for SoW dropping, I remember that happening so Run AA is critical and frees open a slot. Excited to eventually do some casual guild raids down the road as a druid. I got burned out before heading into PoP and retired my rogue and casually played my druid alt past my rogue. Best class that suits my style in group and solo.

Again, everyone's feedback is appreciated and thank you Yther!
    Yther likes this.
  7. Piestro Augur

I usually get about 50 aa from 51-60, then another couple hundred between 61 and 80. In between 80-85 I'll grind out a thousand or so. This should be sufficient for most non tank classes to be fairly functional. 1500 at 85 is fairly reasonable, but will leave some holes. After that I grab a couple hundred or so every time I level.

Ultimately stop when it's fun, not out of a sense of obligation to have an arbitrary number.
  8. eci2000 Lorekeeper

That is what I was looking for Piestro. Rough numbers of AA's at what level. Between that and Yther, I am set.

Thanks to all.
  9. AB_H'Sishi Augur

To start with AA ... a good way is to make EQ life a little easier:
    - Innate run speed (mounts aren't allowed everywhere, same goes for runspeed spells. Some cave-ish zones are huge and WOULD easily allow the useage of mounts but ... well, they're indoor)
    - Innate Lung Capacity (you can dive as long as you want)
    - Innate (?) Metabolism (food and drinks exhaust much slower)

If you're a tank, you should continue with Combat Stability and Combat Agility - reduces incoming melee damage. Other classes have other preferences (casters focus on mana and spell type foci, healers focus on healing efficiency etc.) but the short list above goes basically for everyone.