Ogres. What happened?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Frrroooaaakkk-AB, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Frrroooaaakkk-AB New Member

As per the Title of the post suggests im a bit confused to what happened to the ogre race. I recently came back to this game within the past month and decided to start a new character. So i chose an Ogre and picked a Warrior class seeing as i could see many of them in game still on my server. Now imagine my surprise that when reading up on ogres i saw they too had racial talents just like all the other races in game, and it happened to be ogres having a talent that meant they could not be Stunned from their front when attacking or being attacked by another npc in melee. So imagine my surprise when i kept being stunned and killed by mobs which were same level as me. So i ask Sony or anyone that can answer this question, If Racial talents still exist in game what is the ogres one now?
  2. Yther Augur

It's only versus melee stuns (or stuns from being whacked by a fist or weapon or shield), not casted stuns like Pallies and clerics use. In today's game it's not really as noticeable as it used to be, and tanks (and maybe others) get AAs to replicate the ability. I still noticed on my Wood Elf War at low levels with lots of mobs hitting me, but with gear and DS and regen, it didn't really matter that I'd only get to swing every few seconds or so.

I still like the Ogre Shm get the racial ability. Helps with keeping from getting interrupted at low levels while meleeing stuff.

And as a War, bash them or slam them as an Ogre back, until Kick starts stunning them, to interrupt their stun spells. :)

Yther Ore.
  3. Bamp Augur

Apparently large races don't have the ability to bash without a shield equipped anymore. At least I can't dual wield bash with my lvl 70 Troll warrior anymore. I haven't found an AA that allows a warrior to bash without a shield either. It's odd because I have an AA on my frog paladin that allows him to bash while using a 2h weapon. So my Froglok can bash without a shield in his hand, but my Troll can't. You would think that a warrior would have that ability, being masters of armed combat and all.
  4. Drathos_BotS Elder

Because bash without a shield is the ability slam.
  5. Bamp Augur

Ahh, that would explain my confusion on the subject. It was a long time ago when I actively played my warrior. I came back to the game after being away for seven years, and when I logged in on my old 70 warrior is when I found the problems I was talking about above. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to relearn the warrior due to what the devs have done to the class.
  6. Frrroooaaakkk-AB New Member

Ahh thank you for shedding some light on the issue i am facing. Yet if i am right i was being melee stunned by non spellcasting mobs, in fact i think it was mainly giants, do they negate the stun wall that an ogre has? Or are the giants specially the ones in goru'kar mesa spellcasters? i know ive seen shamans but im refering to the Bashers which seem to be able to perma stun.
  7. Gladare Augur

I'm fairly certain those giants proc a dd/stun making it spell stun, not melee.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

If you aren't facing them they can stun you. And in later content pretty much everything can stun you.
    They gave tanks an AA that lets us be stun immune from any angle from melee attacks. So they just made everything use spells to stun instead.

Later on you'll get aa's that make you immune to fear. That made tanks too happy, so they added a new fear that ignores that immunity.
  9. Frrroooaaakkk-AB New Member

Thank you for the replies, yes iv'e noticed the giants which for some reason are using spell based dps stuns and stuff. i thought giants were of limited intelligence and according to all fantasy rpgs couldnt cast spells.. oh well Everquest broke the mould on that idea i guess. Iv'e all but given up on my ogre warrior now. Very very hard to solo level one of these without a healer merc and a decent damage based buddy in tow. I spent a week on my mage and merc going from 1 to 60 with 100 aa's. On my warrior ive spent about two weeks and im not even level 50 and its now impossible in my eyes to carry on, Unless im prepared to spend a large amount of plat and PLing to get one to a level where soloing is easy. I seem to see numbers of players upping and quitting due to these unstable unbalanced character problems and leaving for games like World of Warcraft, iv'e played EQ now for over 12 years and seen many issues but never have i seen one that hit the warrior/zerker class so hard till now(could it be grouping pre 80+ is a thing of the past?). Now that Soe fired a large amount of their staff i can but assume warrior love has gone out the window. Anyway back to my mage moloing, thanks guys!
  10. Borek-VS Augur

There's quite a lot of lore in Crescent Reach about the ogres and giants that would account for this. It always helps to read the text boxes!

I've soloed all classes to 60+, most to at least 75, and a lot of that before mercs as well as after. It didn't seem all that hard to me - slow, in some cases (I still smart from the 20 kills to 1% exp in level 59). There's not a great deal of connection between staff cutbacks now and lore decisions in a 5+ year old expansion :).
  11. Shanaie Lorekeeper

This isn't exactly true. There are Ogre spellcasters even in D&D (Ogre Mage) and EQ2 doesn't restrict by race much at all.

Soloing has never been easy for the warrior class and I don't think it ever will be. If by 'easy', your point of comparison is a Mage, there is no way Warriors will get to that level of 'ease'. Even at 100, without a healer merc, the things that can be soloed really aren't worth the effort. The healer merc is a force multiplier of sorts for the warrior (the box healer is even better). But your case isn't a deficiency of the game. It's a PEBKAC situation (no disrespect intended). The J1 tank merc could have you at 60 in a week. I got a Warrior to 40 over a weekend (not a bonus xp weekend either) with the J1 tanking 2-5 red/yellow/white mobs at once. The difference is, I spent zero time looking for buffs (you'd be surprised how much time people waste doing this) or standing around doing nothing. It shouldn't take two weeks to get to 50 unless you're playing an hour (or less) per day.

Almost nothing to do with 'unstable unbalanced character problems' and more to do with ease of gameplay. The path of least resistance is almost a mandate of nature. When the game is designed to essentially catapult you to its highest levels, you can't help but reach that point. EQ, being older, still hasn't figured out a way to replicate that (though the devs have obviously tried). In that game, it doesn't even matter what class you play, you'll still find yourself at a relatively high level a week after starting. But that game also illustrates the downside of the opposite design philosophy of EQ: like what happens when every class can solo well. It forms the basis for the need to have automated grouping mechanics because groups are unlikely to form without them.

Racial advantages nowadays are mostly aesthetic. In fact, for years I've heard people who ask in general "What's the best race for <insert class here>" advised to 'pick the race you like the look of'.
    Yther, Borek-VS and Quatr like this.
  12. Quatr Augur

Warriors are more gear-dependent than mages, which may help explain the relatively slow rate of XP gain on your warrior. It's certainly possible to molo a warrior to high levels, but it will be harder than doing it with most other classes. A few things to consider:

1. You can get a J1 tank merc and let him do all the heavy lifting for you until level 60+ as mentioned above

2. If you use a healer merc, make sure to have up to date weapons (armor is less important as long as the merc doesn't go out of mana), haste potions and damage shield (DS) potions. They can get pricey as you level up, so you may have to spend more time making money.

3. Try to fight mobs that do not flee at low health

4. When you get to 65-70, start to upgrade your armor and get a full set of AC augments. As a tank, you really need to have a full set of level-appropriate gear at higher levels.

5. Make sure to get as many defensive AAs as you can as you level up. Offensive AAs are more complicated -- check various warrior guides to see what's worth getting.

6. Consider getting various items that let warriors slow/snare/etc mobs. They can be quite expensive and/or time-consuming to camp, so it may not be an option for quite some time.

In general, tanks are very gear- and AA-dependent, so it will take a while to build a solid tank. At higher levels you will need to get groups to kill mobs that will drop gear and (especially) augments that you will need in order to be a good tank, so consider joining a guild and/or making friends.
    Yther likes this.