15 Expansions Later, I'm Back!...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Korndog, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Korndog New Member

... And I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.

Last time I played was back in PoP (Planes of Power), and I have not the slightest what to do, where to go, where everybody is, and what are the good leveling spots for a solo Beastlord at lvl 63. Just spawned in BoT and was thoroughly confused.

And where did my precious Sense Heading go?!

Any advice or suggestions for a returning old-timer would be greatly appreciated =]
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Sense heading is granted to all maxed out now :).

See links in sig and What to Do and When.

You should update your gear from the Bazaar (Elaborate Defiant and Dawnlight Fistwraps), see about Veteran rewards and Lesson of the Devoted and Hot Zones (see Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge). You should aim to run the current hit zone quest every day, as it gives a lot of experience (around 10+ AAs). Also check into potions (sold in PoK and the Bazaar), and mercs; you probably want to get a tank merc for now - Journeyman > Apprentice.

People mainly hang out in the Guild Lobby, that's the buffing spot.
    Korndog and Kiranan like this.
  3. Korndog New Member

Holy moly things have changed. 10 AA's daily? Used to take me forever to get that. Potions?! Mercs?!? Hahaha wow do I have some catching up to do...

Thank you kindly for the advice, though! I will be browsing through those links to play some catch-up here.
    You have been most helpful :)
  4. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

What server do you play on? Might have a few people that would be interested in giving you a hand to catch up.
    Korndog likes this.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

With a 71 beastlord, I can get around 20 - 15 AAs in a LoTD (30 minutes), or around 20 AAs per hour. Other characters in that level range can get up to 40 AA/lesson, then plus the hot zone task AAs. Level experience on the same base is around 10-20%. The much faster AA exp is because there is a massive boost to earning AAs when you only have a few - that boost goes away once you have 4,000 AAs, but you will still earn them at a far faster rate than you may recall - 5 - 10 AAs per hour just casually grinding, and there are now quests that give large numbers of AA to all in the group, and can be done quickly.

Don't forget that Silver accounts are capped at 1,000 AAs, so it pays to go Gold if you plan on levelling past about 80.
  6. Korndog New Member

I played on Ayonae Ro back then, which no longer exists. It merged with Bristlebane / Tribunal, so that's where I am. It would be awesome to have a group of folks to help catch up with =D
    I'm on PST time zone. Character name is Sydar Kondo. Used to be in <Renegade Alliance> but they must be long gone.

Interesting about the Silver vs. Gold accounts, thanks for informing me of that... I assumed they needed some avenue of making $ since monthly subscription is no longer required. That's insane about the AA gains though... Aye the old-school grind is what I'm used to. Thank goodness that's gone. I didn't have too many AA's back then so it should be a quick catch-up =D Glad Beasties can still solo! Whoo!
  7. Malkavius Augur

A lot of people would recommend that you just start a new character to get the hang of it again. Getting to level 63 should maybe take you a week at most depending on how much you play. Also while the fast AAs and levels seem like less of a grind. It's just because there are far more of them than there used to be. Getting max level with a good amount of AAs will take you a good while without power leveling.
  8. Ratbo Peep Augur

A lot would - I'm not one one of them. :D
    After 10 years out, it took me a few hours at most to re-master my level 60 Ranger and I got him to 65 VERY quickly. Then I paused to grind out AA's. No real need to play the 1st 60 or so levels all over again, it'll come back fast. (assuming it's your main character and you knew it well)
    What is important is that you learn about the new features, Mercs, AA's etc. Also, check out the free Veteran Reward AA's most notably Lesson of The Devoted (double exp for 1/2 hour a day).
    Playing your class (as you knew it) will be second nature again in no time, you'll learn the rest as you go along. Start in the PoP zones for starters if that's what you knew - practice there. The old zones didn't really change - so do what you know best to start. I personally found the Ravenous Nightstalker Camp in PoNightmares worked very well to Level 65; High light blue - easy to harmony/pacify split the pulls (pull to the fake dead treant) - and they drop 3 types of DIAMONDS for loot.
    If you want to hurry things along - spend $5 at The Station (gold button) for level appropriate Defiant (Consigned) Armor. Then to really go for broke, spend $17 on a Krono and sell it for 250K plat in game.
    Now you can go to the Bazaar and max gear all your other slots (with the new stuff) for your level in an evening. Use the search window - Select class, slot, and level range. (65-65 in my case)
    (Note: Wait for Level 65 to do this - then you'll get the most levels of mileage out of your investment - at 65 hold a bit and get 500 AA's - a lot easier than you ever remembered)
    From there, you can stay at a free (Silver) account for a good long while and grind levels and AA's as you see fit. (AA's are now an integral and important part of the game)

-Rat
    Borek-VS likes this.
  9. Borek-VS Augur

No, a lot of people would say roll a new character and run it through the tutorial - not switch to it (unless you decide that you want to, of course).
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

That makes more sense assuming you want some help re-learning.
    I just took Ratty out for a "test drive" in a trivial zone with his (ten year old) Windblade and practiced for an hour - then moved to light blue stuff etc.
    Wife did same with her Chanter..... got the hang of mezzing, slowing etc on trivial stuff then on to help me with light blues... and forward.
    By the third outing it was like we never left - then came the new features and gear etc.
  11. Korndog New Member

Knowing me, once I get home I'm gonna hop on, make a new character to experience all the new shenanigans and get in the full swing of things... THEN hop on my old main and start wreaking havoc like old times =D
    -- Unless of course the new tutorial stuff is that addicting, then we shall see what happens...

It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, in terms of shedding old archaic knowledge and embracing the new, but hey, with a game like EQ it's not like there's a time limit to learn such things.

(You guys have all been awesomely helpful and insightful btw, thank you! )
  12. Xerelise New Member

Glad to see I am not the only one deciding to come back after such a long hiatus. It's been about 7 years since I logged on. Currently installing the game as I write this. No idea where my chars are :) I was on The Tribunal.
  13. Rouan Augur

Do the tutorial for new characters then do the tutorials in PoK.