Quest won't complete because of script not completing properly

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SynergyShade, Jul 6, 2013.

1. SynergyShade New Member

All of the quests I have that require talking to an NPC to complete won't finish, because the NPC just goes on with the tutorial script, which I have skipped. Was I supposed to do the Basic Training mission before everything else? If so, why? It didn't say that it was required.

Anyway, is there some way to get around this? I can't complete the Basic Training mission anymore due to Absor not accepting my dagger, and Basher Alga not "teaching" me about hotbars (probably because mine is filled up)
  2. Wuttever Augur

There is something going on which is not apparent from your post. To get at the core of the problem we need more information. The issues you are having shouldn't happen.

If Absor won't take your dagger, perhaps it is because the one you are offering him is one you already had him sharpen, for instance. If you look at it, what is it called?

Which quest in particular are you not able to complete at the moment by speaking with an NPC? We need to narrow it down to one quest, and one step of that quest, and find an answer to that. Then knock them out one at a time. Trying to do too many things at once just gets confusing.

So what one quest are you having a problem with? What step are you at, and what item are you trying to give, if any, for that step?
  3. Geroblue Augur

Chunk of iron and chunk of bronze get better weapons form Absor, the spiders drop those.

Talking to Alga gets the quest in your quest list. Highlight the Hot bars task by selecting it with the mouse keys. Hail Alga again, then you finish the quest. Read each popup, then click okay to see the next one.

Several of the new NPCs in the tutorial require this to complete the quest.
  4. Yther Augur

From what it sounds like that is part of the Basic Training quest, just one of the steps in it. See http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3494 and the weapon you turn in is the one you were originally given, nothing that you have looted. Or as Geroblue mentioned turn in Block of Bronze or Silver to get a better than the sharpened weapon you get back from turning in your starter weapon. There are also better drops. Compare weapons by damage divided by delay ratio and the higher the better the weapon. This is for everyone at low levels, but only Melee and Hybrids at higher levels, unless your Priest or Caster is going to melee alot. Normally though at higher levels, Priests and Casters want stats, Mana in particular. And everyone wants high AC shields, if using a 1Her and not Dual-Wielding.

As Wuttever said, more information would help greatly, like what you tried to turn in, what response you got back, etc.

Yther Ore.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

Sounds like you missed a hail. Left click on the NPC and press the 'h' key; should work for Alga. For Absor, see what has been said already.
  6. Gladare Augur

I don't know how familiar you are with EQ and the UI, but alt+Q will bring up your quest window. It will show the next step and give some info at the bottom of the window. I don't know if it's still bugged where you have to adjust the bars inside the window to see all 3 sections.
  7. Borek-VS Augur

I set up a new install from scratch a couple of months ago, and that was ok. People with older installs may well still have that problem.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The only people who might have that problem would be ones who use a very old custom mod of that window. If you use the default one it has minimum sizes built in. I want to say that it won't use custom versions that don't have the minimum sizes but I can't say for sure.
  9. Crystilla Augur

(I don't have a custom quest window and I always have to adjust the bars myself every single time I open the window.)
  10. SynergyShade New Member

I am already very familiar with the EQ UI and everything. Before I posted, I had tried hailling them multiple times, and checking my quest log. After some tinkering, I think it's simply a glitch of sorts, related to this computer, as it does run on Win8 which EQ dosen't seem to support. I ended up just finishing the rest of the Gloomingdeep Mines area using a Win7 computer, where the hails actually worked. I guess I'll just be using that one for missions that require hailing someone from now on. Thanks for replying everyone :)
  11. Kegin New Member

Windows 7 was glitchy for a friend of mine, he was able to initially install everything fine but failed during the first patch because Windows 7 security restrictions prevented any changes to the EQ subdirectories. Had to manually set folder permissions for read/write and it worked from then on.
  12. SynergyShade New Member

Another update on this problem: It has now been resolved, quests are working 100% fine for me now. I created a second character, and as soon as I finished the basic training quest using that, quests worked on my main account. I'm guessing maybe the whole issue had to do with me not finishing the basic training quest to begin with.